News Forum - Foreigners brawl near Pattaya’s Walking Street, one left with slash wounds

Thaiger

More scandal abounds near Pattaya’s famous walking street, a site of numerous late night scuffles. Between last night and this morning, 2 foreign men on a soi nearby the street got into a brawl which left one man with slash wounds. A witness said the men had gotten into a verbal argument, which escalated into a physical fight. They said one man then slashed the other man’s arms with a “sharp weapon” similar to a knife. The man slashed made his way to Walking Street to get help, while the man who slashed him fled the scene. Even though the […]

The story Foreigners brawl near Pattaya’s Walking Street, one left with slash wounds as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Change foreigners to 2 people got into a brawl.

Does that sound better?

Not an eye catching article to read then.

Headlines sell.

Almost started to miss news like this. 24/7 covid update out, back to the news that makes you feel ashamed to be a foreigner. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nivram said:

Does that sound better?

Headlines sell.

How about “Fight breaks out in Walking Street”. Or how about “Man gets slashed with knife”?  Use of the word Foreigner  makes me want to turn away and shake my head. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

makes you feel ashamed to be a foreigner.

Maybe I was wrong then. The headline did meet its objective 😉

Wondering if this case and the body of the Falang found in the sea of Pattaya Beach are related???

They were both dressed in the same attire. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

How about “Fight breaks out in Walking Street”. Or how about “Man gets slashed with knife”?  Use of the word Foreigner  makes me want to turn away and shake my head. 

I hope we're not going back 2 years again where everyone is whining about why foreigners are called out in the news. 

If they don't say 'foreigner' you most likely would assume it's about Thai people. Nothing racist about it, because well... Which people live in Thailand? Thai people of course.

That's also the reason why they don't mention any nationality or race when Thai people reach the news. Because not saying so, just means they are Thai, because this is Thailand. 

If foreigners want to stay out of the news, just don't come here and behave like an idiot. The only reason that it looks like foreigners always make the news, is just between our ears. Count how many articles there are on Thai people vs foreigners. Either that, or maybe foreigners often reach the news because they actually cause trouble a lot. 

Besides that, I never hear anyone complain when there's an article about Indians, Africans etc. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I hope we're not going back 2 years again where everyone is whining about why foreigners are called out in the news. 

If they don't say 'foreigner' you most likely would assume it's about Thai people. Nothing racist about it, because well... Which people live in Thailand? Thai people of course.

That's also the reason why they don't mention any nationality or race when Thai people reach the news. Because not saying so, just means they are Thai, because this is Thailand. 

If foreigners want to stay out of the news, just don't come here and behave like an idiot. The only reason that it looks like foreigners always make the news, is just between our ears. Count how many articles there are on Thai people vs foreigners. Either that, or maybe foreigners often reach the news because they actually cause trouble a lot. 

Besides that, I never hear anyone complain when there's an article about Indians, Africans etc. 

I wasn’t on this forum 2 years ago, so no! Mind you, I’m sure I’ll be able to look at headlines in 20 years and I doubt much will have changed.

Its odd how in developed countries they don’t see the need to point out if it’s a foreigner or not unless relavent. English people live in England, but the headlines here don’t say “foreigner” or “English” unnecessarily. A few days ago, there was a headline that read something like “Thai couple marry…”. Why state that if as you say we would all assume they were Thai?  That’s not the reason at all. Its just lazy and ignorant reporting which provides fuel for the xenophobes.

If I see any UNNECESSARY headlines relating to Indians and Africans, I’ll be sure to call it out. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I hope that we are not going back 2 years to Pattaya being full of drunk, numb scull, dumb ass Westerners, usually  thirties, forties,  causing mayhem and making Pattaya a bad place to be at night. I had hoped that we had passed that by, but that was a pipe dream.  The media is not always wrong.  A few long term banning orders would help. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I wasn’t on this forum 2 years ago, so no! Mind you, I’m sure I’ll be able to look at headlines in 20 years and I doubt much will have changed.

Its odd how in developed countries they don’t see the need to point out if it’s a foreigner or not unless relavent. English people live in England, but the headlines here don’t say “foreigner” or “English” unnecessarily. A few days ago, there was a headline that read something like “Thai couple marry…”. Why state that if as you say we would all assume they were Thai?  That’s not the reason at all. Its just lazy and ignorant reporting which provides fuel for the xenophobes.

If I see any UNNECESSARY headlines relating to Indians and Africans, I’ll be sure to call it out. 

I find it relevant to say foreigner in this situation, because the whole point of Pattaya is international tourism.

What's very unnecessary is the story itself, but definitely if you're going to report it, we want to know if it was the guests or the hosts.

And I'll take your word that you'll call out any unnecessary labelling of Africans or others. If you *SEE* it.

I dont mind the use of the term foreigner. What I object to is when the persons country of origin is used. Like it or not every western country has its fair share of idiots.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Its odd how in developed countries they don’t see the need to point out if it’s a foreigner or not unless relavent. English people live in England, but the headlines here don’t say “foreigner” or “English” unnecessarily.

Yes they do. UK Muslims have often protested UK headlines saying "Muslim man does this or that" when it wasn't necessary. Saying it was unnecessary and causing negative feelings towards Muslims.

Newspapers will do this. It's clickbait. Marketing. Sales. We are mostly all foreigners reading the Thaiger so they will continue to use the word foreigners in their headlines.

1 hour ago, Transam said:

But we all know Patt's caters for this ilk, p_ss heads, old blokes who can't deal with not being a young yob any more, or get a bird where they come from, so it is expected, in the city of no prostitution....🤭

Pattaya had a golden opportunity over the past 2 years to change its whole vibe, and its reputation,  an opportunity that was unexpected and that will never come again.  They have failed spectacularly to do anything that will change things. I guess that its naïve to think that any local Authority, even with the help and support of government would, or could , have done anything substantial, but whatever, the opportunity is lost.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Pattaya had a golden opportunity over the past 2 years to change its whole vibe, and its reputation,  an opportunity that was unexpected and that will never come again.  They have failed spectacularly to do anything that will change things. I guess that its naïve to think that any local Authority, even with the help and support of government would, or could , have done anything substantial, but whatever, the opportunity is lost.  

Definitely a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

You are never going to change the reputation of Pattaya. All that nonsense about turning it into a familly resort for wealthy tourists? Absolute folly.

You would be better off building a brand new beachside resort than trying and failing to change Pattaya. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Scribble said:

Yes they do. UK Muslims have often protested UK headlines saying "Muslim man does this or that" when it wasn't necessary. Saying it was unnecessary and causing negative feelings towards Muslims.

Newspapers will do this. It's clickbait. Marketing. Sales. We are mostly all foreigners reading the Thaiger so they will continue to use the word foreigners in their headlines.

Muslims aren’t a nationality, they are a religious group. That said, I fully take your point and equally the Muslims are right to be outraged unless the term is relevant to the story. 

Like most things that are wrong or inappropriate, The Thaiger will continue to use such emotive terms if people accept it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You are never going to change the reputation of Pattaya. All that nonsense about turning it into a familly resort for wealthy tourists? Absolute folly.

You would be better off building a brand new beachside resort than trying and failing to change Pattaya. 

Some things could have been done to start the change: 

1.  A comprehensive one way system, Second Road one way, south to north, 3rd road, north to south. Patts Central one way , Patts North opposite one way. 

2. Pedestrianize Beach Road, from Central Road to the second road intersection.  No coaches on Beach Road, let the fxxxxxs walk 

3.  Level sois 6 and 7. 

4. A comprehensive pavement, ( sidewalk) renovation and widening works.

5. Clear Walking Street sea side.  get that road work finished.

6.  Utilize the Baht buses in a large park and ride system, parking darkside to come sea side .  Increase the basic Baht bus fare to 30 Baht per journey Taxis banned from Pattaya except for hotel access to pick up and drop off. 

7.  Leave LK Metro but pedestrianize all the sois adjacent and especially Soi Buakhao. 

8.  Get rid of the low quality beech vendors with their crap chairs and unsightly shades and introduce the Spanish system of free shade umbrellas and higher quality loungers and chairs. If they cant afford it, tough titty, they have been sucking at the Pattaya nipple for too long. 

9, for once and for all, sort out the water quality. 

That will do for starters.  I'm sure that others have better ideas. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nivram said:

Does that sound better?

Headlines sell.

No, it is no longer acceptable in English media to read this.

A good editor would pen a powerful headline without using the F word, "tourist' or "expat' I can live with.

Calling me a Foreigner is offensive to me. I have a designation in Thailand beyond "Falang" I'm a retiree, or expat, not just a Falang! Since its obvious in most stories that a person is not Thai, using "foriegner" is deliberately demeaning, because it associates the "foreigner" with a negative event, therfore were "all" guilty, well to hell with that!

If WE have to mind our Ps and Qs in our home press, then media for our consuption must comform to the socially accepted norms of OUR culture.

If our western culture accepts there are evolving cultural standards, then the progressive English speaking local press are behoven to them too! The embarrassing major daily print media in Bangkok are a jurassic joke, we can and should expect better here though.

We all know Asia is more openly racist than the west, but it is not any less acceptable for it, and we must demand the Thaiger editorship get on it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

1.  A comprehensive one way system, Second Road one way, south to north, 3rd road, north to south. Patts Central one way , Patts North opposite one way. 

2. Pedestrianize Beach Road, from Central Road to the second road intersection.  No coaches on Beach Road, let the fxxxxxs walk 

3.  Level sois 6 and 7. 

6.  Utilize the Baht buses in a large park and ride system, parking darkside to come sea side .  Increase the basic Baht bus fare to 30 Baht per journey Taxis banned from Pattaya except for hotel access to pick up and drop off. 

7.  Leave LK Metro but pedestrianize all the sois adjacent and especially Soi Buakhao. 

8.  Get rid of the low quality beech vendors with their crap chairs and unsightly shades and introduce the Spanish system of free shade umbrellas and higher quality loungers and chairs. If they cant afford it, tough titty, they have been sucking at the Pattaya nipple for too long. 

All of which I agree with.

But you will never change Patts reputation.

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

All of which I agree with.

But you will never change Patts reputation.

very true, not in our lifetime anyway 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

3.  Level sois 6 and 7. 

All of these ideas could be reality without Pattaya losing its "flavour".

Alcohol, and only alcohol leads to the assaults that is never going away no matter how much you jazz up Pattaya. I'm sure Vegas is far more violent, and that's awash in money and civic services.

Like it or loathe it, Pattaya is beloved by mongers, and it feeds millions of mouths down on the farm too.

Gentrification may happen, but not until Thailand is a more equal society, and that's generations away.

So until then, the only way a farm girl can make as much (or more) than a Thai dentist is by sex work, and if not Pattaya then somewhere else.

IMO trying to gentrify pattaya as well as solving its generic civic problems would be a disaster short term.

Civic problems first, by legalizing sex work, and making bars pay tax to an accountable local government.

So, a pipe dream. 🤪  And guess what theyre smoking in the pipe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1