News Forum - German man says he was attacked in Chon Buri, witnesses claim he started it

Thaiger

Heated accusations are being thrown back and forth about a violent incident in Chon Buri province. A German man, 57 year old Yurk Wendorf, alleges that 2 men violently attacked him in Bang Lamung district. According to The Pattaya News, Yurk was found with a wound on his face and a blood-stained shirt, and seemed groggy. Pattaya police were alerted of the incident this morning. Yurk told Pattaya police that 2 Thai men punched him until he fell on the ground, and then stomped on him before fleeing in a sedan. But one witness, 41 year old motorcycle taxi driver Thanakrit […]

The story German man says he was attacked in Chon Buri, witnesses claim he started it as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Which account is more believable? That’s what it comes down to. 

i can’t pass judgement, but I think there is more to both sides of the story.

• Like 5

Meanwhile, Pattaya Police’s Colonel Kulchat Kulchai has reportedly called the incident “a disgrace to Pattaya’s reputation”. 

And that is all, what the RTP finds wrong a out it.

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I think there is more to both sides of the story.

Yes, all the background info is missing, like why were they travelling together and what was the agreement.

13 hours ago, astro said:

Yes, all the background info is missing, like why were they travelling together and what was the agreement.

The agreement was that he gets out of the car or he gets punched in the face? 

• Haha 1

My money's on the motorbike taxi driver's story.  Just sounds to me that black sedan people had enough of the drunk idiot and kindly paid motorbike taxi fare to get rid of him - which says a lot, if true.  

Yurk, groggy from his doses of liquid courage, isn't the first guy to earn a sobering reality check at zero-dark thirty, and won't be the last.

1 hour ago, TWS60 said:

My money's on the motorbike taxi driver's story.  Just sounds to me that black sedan people had enough of the drunk idiot and kindly paid motorbike taxi fare to get rid of him - which says a lot, if true.  

Yurk, groggy from his doses of liquid courage, isn't the first guy to earn a sobering reality check at zero-dark thirty, and won't be the last.

It’s possible. Anything is when we don’t have the facts. Even more when we have two conflicting accounts.

Equally possible that there was a dispute about the fare, he stood his ground and got pummeled. 

More will come out about this, I believe.

4 minutes ago, RayT said:

A German starting some conflict. Who'd had thought it!

In 1939 yes RayT, but not now. Geez.

If you’re traveling in Thailand or striking up a conversation at a bar somewhere, Germans are some of the nicest folk you’ll meet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RayT said:

A German starting some conflict. Who'd had thought it!

You could level the same at any nationality on the planet.

Except us Scots of course. All sweetness and light we is.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You could level the same at any nationality on the planet.

Except us Scots of course. All sweetness and light we is.

Agreed RS, absolutely. 

There’s good and bad everywhere and from everywhere. My wife and I have been to 50 provinces on our travels. I just asked her, “Where were the nicest people we met on our travels?”

Answer:

”That Russian guy in Chiang Mai” 

“Those two English fellas in Krabi”

”That Chinese family in Ban Phe”

Can’t generalize on right or wrong based on nationality. Nope.

• Like 1

Well, given two world wars and my encounter with a drunk who demanded "Vot vass you lookink at?" before a bargirl thankfully distracted him, up in McD at the service station top of Sukhuvit Soi 4 a few years ago... I'm siding with the locals.

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 10:23 PM, BigHewer said:

Which account is more believable? That’s what it comes down to. 

i can’t pass judgement, but I think there is more to both sides of the story.

The witness had no dog in the fight. Why would he embellish his version? And it rings true.

Even that horrible man bun wouldn't warrant a random assault!

It seems that laughing-boy had met some new drinking pals, at some point, his antics became too much and they invited him to take his leave.

To which he took offence, and he then got a kicking for his trouble.

Of course, assault is assault, but in Herr Karens case, I wouldn't throw much police resouces at it unless he was terminal.

1 hour ago, Venusianhart said:

Well, given two world wars and my encounter with a drunk who demanded "Vot vass you lookink at?" before a bargirl thankfully distracted him, up in McD at the service station top of Sukhuvit Soi 4 a few years ago... I'm siding with the locals.

Nice to know that you have a certain view of German nationals when approaching the evidence.

34 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

The witness had no dog in the fight. Why would he embellish his version? And it rings true.

Are you serious? I made a comment to the effect of there not being enough evidence to make a judgement. 

Thankfully most modern legal systems don’t subscribe to your “why would he” legal logic.