News Forum - Officials in eastern Thailand scramble to save tree from tourists

Thaiger

Officials in eastern Thailand are scrambling to save a lone tree on a tiny islet off Trat province from tourist destruction. The islet is only a few metres wide, with nothing on it except the tree and its roots. The director of maintenance at Koh Mak Tambon Administrative Organisation, Lertrob Saithongpu, said the wee little islet can only handle 5 tourists at a time, but some tourists have gone in bigger groups than this. The rowdy groups have now damaged the tree on their expeditions to take selfies while climbing it. Some branches have been broken off, and its big […]

The story Officials in eastern Thailand scramble to save tree from tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So sad to hear about. As I travel around Thailand I am seeing more and more disrespect for this land and people. What is happening???  Maybe lack of family and cultural education or all the social media and digital games are taking away respect and consideration for others and nature. So sad all over the world. I pray that there will be an enlightening and awakening of care and respect.   

• Like 2

The Authorities are spineless and need to get a grip.  Its not rocket science to protect these sties, they just don't care enough at governmental level to provide funding and legal muscle to do it. 

7 hours ago, WallyC said:

So sad to hear about. As I travel around Thailand I am seeing more and more disrespect for this land and people. What is happening???

From the article I gather it is mostly Thai tourists.

• Like 1