News Forum - Shopee fires 50% of its Thai staff

Thaiger

E-commerce platform Shopee today announced 50% of its Thai staff are being fired alongside employees from Indonesia and Vietnam. The company, under the Singaporean tech group Sea, did not give a reason for the mass redundancies. DealStreetAsia reported that Shopee has informed all staff on the redundancy hit list to pack up their stuff and wait for an official termination letter at home. The announcement was made during a town hall meeting with staff from every branch in attendance. Most of Sea group’s revenue is generated by Singaporean game developer and publisher, Garena. And in the first quarter of this […]

The story Shopee fires 50% of its Thai staff as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Must be over staffed because I’ve noticed no change. I buy from shopee because they’re not Chinese owned and have everything I want so I don’t know where India got their ideas from. Singapore owned and based.  

Have noticed that a lot of products have a lead time for delivery of up to 30 days to get it here from CHINA.

Click local for selections and most of what is offered disappears and the price tends to go ballistic.

Few Thais carry some stock and are resellers from chinese suppliers. You may find it cheaper as well to by -pass this option and use Ebay direct.

these online retailers best to do cash on delivery. I always open box at the gate before signing while the delivery dude is protesting. If it's all good, fine. Otherwise it goes back unpaid for. Not his fault. He gets a nice tip either way. 🙄

29 minutes ago, TSS said:

these online retailers best to do cash on delivery. I always open box at the gate before signing while the delivery dude is protesting. If it's all good, fine. Otherwise it goes back unpaid for. Not his fault. He gets a nice tip either way. 🙄

I can only speak about Lazada,  part of Alibaba:

There is, if a complain is legit, no problem to get the money back, in case you paid upfront!

Some friends of mine and I are opening ALL parcels, boxes, as video "unpack".  If there isn't in what got ordered, starting a complain, return request, may need a couple of days, but till now, it always worked out. The money gets into the Lazada wallet.

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

There is, if a complain is legit, no problem to get the money back, in case you paid 

depends on how proactive the vender you purchased item from is. Whatever works for you. I had a couple problems in the past getting quick refunds on returned items. One recently took weeks. I don't need to waste time on that crap so I'll keep doing it my way- p.o.d. but opening and inspecting received goods before payment. 

8 minutes ago, TSS said:

depends on how proactive the vender you purchased item from is. 

p.o.d. but opening and inspecting received goods before payment. 

COD is ok. But prepaid, even if the vendor denies, buyer and seller are in dispute, Lazada is deciding that in the end, then.  That why we do "unpack videos". The speed of the repay may depend on the action of the seller,  but as soon Lazada accepts a return, then the seller has a time frame to get the parcel back and act on it. If they don't act on it: Lazada repays automatically. No complains there and max 2 weeks time.

Are many delivery people play that "unpack and pay afterwards" game? I mean, in case you order some that comes in a box, it is not done by touching it!

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Are many delivery people play that "unpack and pay afterwards" game? I mean, in case you order some that comes in a box, it is not done by touching it!

Well, it's not a game for me or the delivery guys- none of them are overjoyed about it. It's the chat, chat more/fill out form/return/chat again, wait for response/refund game i lack the patience to play. Let the store and vendor square it up. Box will be opened and checked outside the gate with a pocket knife, before i accept it. Only one Kerry guy said no can do, which was fine. sent the unopened box back with him. Still buying off the very convenient L. or S.