News Forum - Thai woman drowns while taking diving lessons in Chon Buri

Thaiger

A 35 year old Thai woman drowned yesterday while taking a diving lesson near Koh Juang in the Sattahip district of Chon Buri. The woman, Hathaya Rimpanawet, was diving with other students offshore when a strong current pulled her beneath the water with a 10 kilogram counterweight attached to her wrist. The woman’s diving instructor, Tararat Thianpajeekun, says he, and a colleague, took students to the scene of the incident in a boat for the freediving lesson at 11am in water about 20 metres deep. At about noon, the water stream got stronger so the instructors advised the students they […]

The story Thai woman drowns while taking diving lessons in Chon Buri as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have never done any free diving so I don't know, although I do have over 1,000 logged scuba dives, and it seems very odd to me that that weight was not attached using some kind quick release.

• Like 2

The suggestion from the headlines being that if she wasn’t Thai, she wouldn’t have drowned? Why else mention her nationality? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The suggestion from the headlines being that if she wasn’t Thai, she wouldn’t have drowned? Why else mention her nationality? 

Come on Soidog. The headline just reports a fact and doesn't in any way sensationalise the event. The headline makes no such suggestion or implication. It is simply accurate in its description. If you remove "Thai" and "Woman" a drowning still occurred.

It can be argued it may actually help those looking for information on the actual event involving a Thai to find the article easier.

Personally, I just prefer to see it as setting an accurate headline. 

3 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Come on Soidog. The headline just reports a fact and doesn't in any way sensationalise the event. The headline makes no such suggestion or implication. It is simply accurate in its description. If you remove "Thai" and "Woman" a drowning still occurred.

Don't worry about it, all many commenters on this site do is complain about non-sense.

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

It can be argued it may actually help those looking for information on the actual event involving a Thai to find the article easier.

Personally, I just prefer to see it as setting an accurate headline. 

Of course I was deliberately being flippant. My point is that her being Thai has no relevance and once again continues to drive this agenda of a two tier society. Thai and non-Thai. It needs to stop is all I’m saying

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Of course I was deliberately being flippant. My point is that her being Thai has no relevance and once again continues to drive this agenda of a two tier society. Thai and non-Thai. It needs to stop is all I’m saying

Now you definitely are reading too much into it.

But I'll remove all of the words that may cause offence to people and may form "different levels of society" through their use. Hence the title would be "News Forum - while in"

After all, why stop at just the Nationality? 

The poor woman was Thai, she drowned etc and I hope the news reports it all accurately. If it allows some to better identify with her and the suffering her family is going through as a result of this tragedy, then that is ok with me. 

After all, the population of Thailand is 70 million and I am confident enough would call themselves Thai to outnumber the rest of us if fear of a News article stimulating a two-tier society was to grow.

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

It's a "farang" news site based in Thailand, nothing unusual about specifying Thai or other nationality.

Or perhaps, by your logic, "woman" is featured in the headline to suggest women are incapable of diving? 😆

4 hours ago, astro said:

It's a "farang" news site based in Thailand, nothing unusual about specifying Thai or other nationality.

Or perhaps, by your logic, "woman" is featured in the headline to suggest women are incapable of diving? 😆

You are missing the point. The headlines are repeated from other, larger media sites. The Thais, and hence by copying, The Thaiger, have a fixation with highlighting  Thai and Non-Thai. It’s devise and in the vast majority of cases uncalled for. Tolerate it if you wish, that’s your choice. I’ll continue not to. 

• Like 2

I prefer a headline saying:

"63 year old Swiss man jumped from 12th floor balcony after his 34 year old Thai gf left him"

to:

"A person jumped from 12th floor balcony after their sexual-emotional companion withdrew their affection".

Edited by astro
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

You are missing the point. The headlines are repeated from other, larger media sites. The Thais, and hence by copying, The Thaiger, have a fixation with highlighting  Thai and Non-Thai. It’s devise and in the vast majority of cases uncalled for. Tolerate it if you wish, that’s your choice. I’ll continue not to. 

I am certainly not missing the point. Was the headline true? The answer is yes. You are simply trying to make something out of nothing.

If removed, what will be your next fixation? The use of the word woman, or perhaps diving, or even the reference to Chon Buri?

I prefer to fixate, if you want to call it, on a headline that simply states the truth. Far better than those that seek to sensationalize the story or cast a false hidden agenda. We have had enough of those over the last few years.

Question :- 

"the 10 kilogram counterweight pulled the student underwater" 

How does a counter weight work in diving 

Novice inquiry .

2 minutes ago, Chilli said:

Question :- 

"the 10 kilogram counterweight pulled the student underwater" 

How does a counter weight work in diving 

Novice inquiry .

I'm not a diver but AFAIK this was a floating marker buoy with a large weight attached to stop it blowing away or to keep it stable/upright.  The novice diver was attached to the same buoy & weight line so that in anyone might see where she was (underwater).   What appears totally wrong is the apparent oversized 10gg weight and the fact that the safety line was tied to her, not secured with a quick release.

One can only assume that a frayed line allowed the buoy to cut away from the safety line with its 10kg weight helping to drag the lady deeper as the current swept her away.

IMO it smacks of negligence by the dive operator.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I am certainly not missing the point. Was the headline true? The answer is yes. You are simply trying to make something out of nothing.

If removed, what will be your next fixation? The use of the word woman, or perhaps diving, or even the reference to Chon Buri?

I prefer to fixate, if you want to call it, on a headline that simply states the truth. Far better than those that seek to sensationalize the story or cast a false hidden agenda. We have had enough of those over the last few years.

It’s simply an opinion and I’m not questioning it being a fact. I’m trying to point out that nationality is unnecessary in this instance. It’s not about accuracy of the report. Yes, the woman was Thai. She may have been a 30 year old Thai woman, but her age is also irrelevant in this case and certainly not a headline element.  

Gender is a common factor across races and hence it doesn’t have any discriminatory or nationalistic  overtones. Like many issues relating to minorities and inclusivity of people, the issues are subtle and often hidden in plain site. There is simply no need for headlines that continue to point out the person is Thai or Foreign unless it’s relevant or key to the story.  For example, the story relating to the man arrested recently on a U.K. red notice. His nationality and being foreign was central to the story. 

Its has become a style that is accepted and almost unnoticed in the Thai media. All I’d ask is for you to see how often this occurs and then ask yourself why have they included it in the headline? It shows the the person writing the piece is the one who fixates on the nationality,  instantly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s simply an opinion and I’m not questioning it being a fact. I’m trying to point out that nationality is unnecessary in this instance. It’s not about accuracy of the report. Yes, the woman was Thai. She may have been a 30 year old Thai woman, but her age is also irrelevant in this case and certainly not a headline element.  

Gender is a common factor across races and hence it doesn’t have any discriminatory or nationalistic  overtones. Like many issues relating to minorities and inclusivity of people, the issues are subtle and often hidden in plain site. There is simply no need for headlines that continue to point out the person is Thai or Foreign unless it’s relevant or key to the story.  For example, the story relating to the man arrested recently on a U.K. red notice. His nationality and being foreign was central to the story. 

Its has become a style that is accepted and almost unnoticed in the Thai media. All I’d ask is for you to see how often this occurs and then ask yourself why have they included it in the headline? It shows the the person writing the piece is the one who fixates on the nationality,  instantly. 

I look at everything first with an open mind. But when I see something so ill-considered, narrow in its viewpoint, so infrequent, and offered without any proof provided as to what is suggested, then I suggest it is very hard to believe in what is said.

Will you be similarly attacking the Bangkok Post for this headline?

Foreign 'Romeos' continue preying on wealthy Thai women.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1399750/foreign-romeos-continue-preying-on-wealthy-thai-women

or this one from the Nation Thailand?

Women business leaders converge to offer insights at Bangkok summit

https://www.nationthailand.com/program/40016223

Time to move on as I have lost interest in such a trivial, unfounded, unprovable matter and the woman's tragic death deserves better discussion from us than wasting time on your "conspiracy theory" opinion. 

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I look at everything first with an open mind. But when I see something so ill-considered, narrow in its viewpoint, so infrequent, and offered without any proof provided as to what is suggested, then I suggest it is very hard to believe in what is said.

Will you be similarly attacking the Bangkok Post for this headline?

Foreign 'Romeos' continue preying on wealthy Thai women.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1399750/foreign-romeos-continue-preying-on-wealthy-thai-women

or this one from the Nation Thailand?

Women business leaders converge to offer insights at Bangkok summit

https://www.nationthailand.com/program/40016223

Time to move on as I have lost interest in such a trivial, unfounded, unprovable matter and the woman's tragic death deserves better discussion from us than wasting time on your "conspiracy theory" opinion. 

That’s fine. Let’s just agree to disagree. It’s nothing to do with conspiracy theories or any such nonsense. It’s a matter of what should be a progressive society seeing itself in the wider world and not fixating on Thai and Non-Thai.

As for the two articles you sent links to, it’s clear you are nowhere near understanding the subtlety of my point. 

The first article of “Foreign Romeos” is entirely relevant to the story. This is foreign men praying on Thai women. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. 

The second article is even more off target as the headline has no reference to foreign and Thai. It’s purely about women. Women exist in all countries and hence entirely appropriate. 

However, let’s leave it there as you are not even close to understanding my point. Clearly my issue for not explaining it better. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

The second article is even more off target as the headline has no reference to foreign and Thai. It’s purely about women. Women exist in all countries and hence entirely appropriate. 

Nationals and non-nationals also exist in every country.

But now, isn't it devisive to say the business leaders are women?

How about just "business leaders", wouldn't that be more appropriate in a progressive society rather than this gender fixation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astro said:

Nationals and non-nationals also exist in every country.

But now, isn't it devisive to say the business leaders are women?

How about just "business leaders", wouldn't that be more appropriate in a progressive society rather than this gender fixation?

I don’t know. I’ll let you worry about gender equality issues. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about the need to spell out a person being Thai or foreign when it’s simply not relevant to the story. If there’s a relevance then that’s fine. 

The fact is it won’t always be like this. Eventually Thailand will progress as it has in other areas where it thought it wouldn’t follow. You don’t get such unnecessary headline in a fully developed society.  

I don't worry about gender equality, I just find your exclusive fixation on national equality rather odd.

But, whatever.... this is my last comment on this diversion.

I find it interesting that this comment section seems to have focused on something completely irrelevant to the actual event.

A woman died due to either a terrible accident or negligence of the diving operator, IMO this should be the focus of the discussion.

Please don't let this forum sink to the depths of the BP comments forum where people descend into a pure hate fest and just troll each other with no reference to the story attached.

Let's try to stay positive and concentrate on constructive and relevant comments to the stories reported. 

• Thanks 1