Visa Extension In DIfferent Province

Hi,

I have a question about getting extensions at an immigration office in a different province to where I am registered as living. 

So im currently in Chiang Mai with my wife while she completes a short training course. I have a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage/visiting family that ends at the end of this year. Im on my first entry and I have a booking to fly out soon, but Id prefer to get a 1 month extension and push my flight back a month. 

I normally reside in Chiang Rai and my official long term resident address is in Chiang Rai, but while Im here in Chiang Mai I was looking to go to the local immigration office here to apply for the extension because my wife wants to do a second short training course that logically follows on from her current one and to go back to Chiang Rai for 2 days before returning to Chiang Mai is a bit of a pain and probably costs more in fuel than it does to stay another couple nights in a hotel here. 

Am I likely to have any issues at the CM immigration office? Just wanted to get an idea if Im likely to run into any problems so I can plan things out a bit better. 

Cheers

Edited by Netbuddy

You can only submit an extension application within the Province you are registered as living.
That said, if you, a landlord, or hotel, file a TM30 at CM, then you can submit your application there.

You can apply for a 60-day extension to visit Thai spouse/family.

If you have the Non Imm O multiple entry Visa, you can stay for almost 17 months in total, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions before having to apply for a new Non Imm O ME Visa.
Alternatively, you can apply for a 1-year extension of stay if you deposit 400K THB in a Thai bank account.

You can only submit an extension application within the Province you are registered as living.
That said, if you, a landlord, or hotel, file a TM30 at CM, then you can submit your application there.

Mmm. That might be an option. I could file it myself. 

If you have the Non Imm O multiple entry Visa, you can stay for almost 17 months in total, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions before having to apply for a new Non Imm O ME Visa.
Alternatively, you can apply for a 1-year extension of stay if you deposit 400K THB in a Thai bank account.

Great info to know. I thought you could only get 30 day extensions on this type of visa. 

Ive done the 400k thing in the past, not as an extension but as a year long Non O and I got caught in a situation where I only stayed for a few months. Plus, im hoping the wife and I can travel overseas before the year is out, potentially work overseas, timing it to leave before my visa expires. 

OP, just get a one year extension of stay.  What's the issue here? 

We kind of have other plans starting end of this year, early next. 

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

OP, just get a one year extension of stay.  What's the issue here?

It always helps to read the OP first:

7 hours ago, Netbuddy said:

I have a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage/visiting family that ends at the end of this year. Im on my first entry ...

11 hours ago, astro said:

It always helps to read the OP first:

so?  He can still get a year's marriage extension at the end of his visa . 

14 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

so?  He can still get a year's marriage extension at the end of his visa . 

Read the OP's posts as advised.

11 hours ago, Netbuddy said:

We kind of have other plans starting end of this year, early next. 

His Non Imm O is valid for entry to Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.
He could stay for almost 5 months beyond the 'enter before' date of that Visa type, well into next year if he needed to. 

• Like 1

Great info to know. I thought you could only get 30 day extensions on this type of visa. 

30 day extensions are only offered to those who entered as a Tourist.
The Non Imm O only permits a stay of 90 days each entry, but the permission of stay can be extended for a further 60 days in the case of visiting Thai spouse/family.
Section 2.24 of Order 327/2557.
2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:
Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days.(
1) There must be proof of relationship.
(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.
327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 

Each and every 90 day entry can be extended for a further 60 days.

Ive done the 400k thing in the past, not as an extension but as a year long Non O and I got caught in a situation where I only stayed for a few months.

If you deposited 400K previously and submitted an application to Thai Immigration, it wasn't for a 1-year Non O. You extended your stay for 1 year, which is a permit, not a Visa.

The 1-year Non Imm O ME can only be applied for at a Thai Embassy.
Read this topic https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1652-visa-or-extension-of-stay/#comment-5567

The 1-year Non Imm O ME can only be applied for at a Thai Embassy.
Read this topic https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1652-visa-or-extension-of-stay/#comment-5567

It was through the Thai Embassy in Sydney. It was a year long visa Non Imm O and I had to submit evidence of 400k in a Thai bank account upfront and provide a statement in order to get the visa. I already had an SCB account and did so. 

This was several years ago, before Covid and it no longer seems to be offered, through Sydney at least. 

If you go here, https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o, the options are single or multi 90 day visas only for Non Imm 0 based on marriage

Edited by Netbuddy

10 minutes ago, Netbuddy said:

It was through the Thai Embassy in Sydney. It was a year long visa Non Imm O and I had to submit evidence of 400k in a Thai bank account upfront and provide a statement in order to get the visa. I already had an SCB account and did so. 

This was several years ago, before Covid and it no longer seems to be offered, through Sydney at least. 

If you go here, https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o, the options are single or multi 90 day visas only for Non Imm 0 based on marriage

Im still wondering how this will go at CM immigration though. Can I submit the TM30 myself and the request for extension at the same time if we really only intend to stay here till June 25th? because my wife needs to go back to work in CR. 

8 minutes ago, Netbuddy said:

Can I submit the TM30 myself and the request for extension at the same time if we really only intend to stay here till June 25th? because my wife needs to go back to work in CR. 

Depends on what kind of accommodation you're temporarily staying in at CM.
If it's a hotel, they should have filed a TM30. (Request a print-out as confirmation).
If it's rented, then either you or the landlord should file a TM30.

If your current permission of stay is beyond June 25th, then apply for the 60-day extension on returning to CR.

56 minutes ago, Netbuddy said:

It was through the Thai Embassy in Sydney. It was a year long visa Non Imm O and I had to submit evidence of 400k in a Thai bank account upfront and provide a statement in order to get the visa.

That proof of finances could have been a statement from any bank, not necessarily a Thai bank.

Only when applying for 1 year extensions of stay at Immigration are the funds required to be in a Thai bank account.

Got another question on this one. Are there any issue using the Thai-Laos friendship bridge in Chang Khong? I know thats not getting an extension. I would just use it as my second entry coming back into Thailand. 

Im told everything is back to normal regarding entry to Laos and these border areas now.