News Forum - Thailand warms to drop temperature checks

Thaiger

The Ministry of Public Health will suggest to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to remove temperature measurement devices and checkpoints from all the country’s airports and other locations throughout Thailand because there is no evidence proving that the checks prevent the spread of coronavirus. The Head of the Health Technical Office from the Ministry of Public Health, Rungruang Kitphati, says temperature checks were one of the first Covid screening measures introduced because the main symptom of most patients was a high fever. As a consequence temperature measuring devices and temperature checkpoints were set up throughout the country. Rungruang says […]

The story Thailand warms to drop temperature checks as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Ministry of Public Health will suggest to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to remove temperature measurement devices and checkpoints from all the country’s airports and other locations throughout Thailand because there is no evidence proving that the checks prevent the spread of coronavirus. The Head of the Health Technical Office from the Ministry of Public Health, Rungruang Kitphati, says temperature checks were one of the first Covid screening measures introduced because the main symptom of most patients was a high fever. As a consequence temperature measuring devices and temperature checkpoints were set up throughout the country. Rungruang says […]

The story Thailand warms to drop temperature checks as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is devices not prove anything why  have these in place for over 2ys and made them mandatory. All this is just lies and deception. 

• Like 2

I've always been skeptical of the efficiency of temperature check-points (except at arrival ports of long-haul routes), for the simple reason that anyone having a fever is most likely to limit their movements/stay at home.

Earlier on, letting a case go unnoticed could cause havoc, so the ubiquitous checks made sense nevertheless (since efficacy was more important than efficiency). 

The risk of a case slipping through now is a fraction of what it once was (even for long-haul arrivals), so well done for realizing that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

because there is no evidence proving that the checks prevent the spread of coronavirus.

People here 1 or 2 years ago, being angry at me for saying they are of no use.... 

BuT tHeRe iS eViDenCE, lOOk aT my dAtA!!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

I've always been skeptical of the efficiency of temperature check-points (except at arrival ports of long-haul routes), for the simple reason that anyone having a fever is most likely to limit their movements/stay at home.

So these temperature checks work very well. Knowing that they take your temperature at the mall you would not go there with a fever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dimitri said:

So these temperature checks work very well. Knowing that they take your temperature at the mall you would not go there with a fever. 

Touchè 

Some people probably still won't understand  😄

13 hours ago, Mal said:

Is devices not prove anything why  have these in place for over 2ys and made them mandatory. All this is just lies and deception. 

Look at who made a profit from the sale and installation of these "useless" devices... Any large and diversified engineering companies by chance?

Edited by Viggen840
Addition to quote
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dimitri said:

ROFL. Most of the time people will get hot due to walking around in the high heat and humidity. These temperature screening devices are an indication that something is not normal about Thai society, that it's become a police state.

Other countries don't employ this measure, Singapore has scrapped their use and Australia/USA/Canada never employed them except in pharmacies and hospitals but later stopped using them because they're not useful and are more of an intimidation tactic than a public health measure.

Besides, even if your temperature is "too high" nothing happens (except maybe at the airport). Security guards are often no longer present and even when they were, they would normally let you pass without incident. It was only at the very beginning that they took the temperature readings seriously, but after around 3-4 months people stopped paying attention.

I can't believe it's taken the government this long to finally think about scrapping them. Why wasn't this done 6 months ago?

As usual, Thailand is one of the last countries in the world to catch up...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

These temperature screening devices are an indication that something is not normal about Thai society, that it's become a police state.

Calm down. 😂 In a police state they'll have hazmat suits coming after you if your temperature is odd. 

You're literally proving yourself wrong here. 

39 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Besides, even if your temperature is "too high" nothing happens (except maybe at the airport). Security guards are often no longer present and even when they were, they would normally let you pass without incident.

You really think that the temperature scan at 7 eleven is monitoring who you are and where you go etc? 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

People here 1 or 2 years ago, being angry at me for saying they are of no use.... 

BuT tHeRe iS eViDenCE, lOOk aT my dAtA!!! 

Were you having some sort of fit when you finished that post ? I’m a bit concerned. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

ROFL. Most of the time people will get hot due to walking around in the high heat and humidity. These temperature screening devices are an indication that something is not normal about Thai society, that it's become a police state.

Other countries don't employ this measure, Singapore has scrapped their use and Australia/USA/Canada never employed them except in pharmacies and hospitals but later stopped using them because they're not useful and are more of an intimidation tactic than a public health measure.

Besides, even if your temperature is "too high" nothing happens (except maybe at the airport). Security guards are often no longer present and even when they were, they would normally let you pass without incident. It was only at the very beginning that they took the temperature readings seriously, but after around 3-4 months people stopped paying attention.

I can't believe it's taken the government this long to finally think about scrapping them. Why wasn't this done 6 months ago?

As usual, Thailand is one of the last countries in the world to catch up...

Hands up who’s been ‘intimidated’ by a temperature check device ? 

Mike Tyson is intimidating, a £4.99 device from Amazon isn’t. 

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Transam said:

Farangs here getting upset over a temperature check where you don't even have to stop walking to do it in most places.....😂

Actually I like doing the check, it tells "ME" whether I have temperature for free....🤓

Weather hot or cold, my temp has been near the same wherever I go....... 😉

It tells it you super accurately too as it's mostly places either under the aircon at the door, by the door where either the cold air goes out or the hot air comes in, or they put those things outside at some market entrances too. 

Saw a video of a bee the other day, flying in front of a temperature scan, and measured 38c or something like that. Are you really sure something doing that is accurate? 

Another good question.... If these temperate checks are so accurate, and really work.... Why may we not remove masks after passing that scan?🤔🤔🤔

Btw, if literally any of my posts make you sad, you can stay happy by not reading them also😜

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Were you having some sort of fit when you finished that post ? I’m a bit concerned. 

Lol, people who had this point of view were considered conspiracy theorists. So now The Thaiger seems to spread conspiracy stories too. And whoever now pointed out that those machines don't work could get banned because of misinformation if this was 2 years ago. 

What they said 2 years ago was the only truth and nothing else was allowed to be said. Just pointing out how every single thing they said is falling apart eventually and that the news is not a very good source of information when they are forcing something down people's throats. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

The news? A source of good info? Oooh me ribs! 😁

It should be, but it isn't 😜 Especially when there's only 1 thing for months and months being shoved down people's throats. That means we must just agree with them, while there are actually very legit questions we could ask about it, but aren't allowed to. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

Please explain to me why my temperature in any place I have been, using my hand, in the last couple of years has been 36.2 or 36.3...?

Take your time, use Google if you like....🤓..........🤭

You often come back with questions while I made my point clear. But never with answers as to why you are right. 

I've once even tested... I scanned my forehead which was scanned the same temperature as my hand. While my hand was icecold because I literally held ice, just to try. That's my explanation to your question. But how are you going to explain that? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

It tells it you super accurately too as it's mostly places either under the aircon at the door, by the door where either the cold air goes out or the hot air comes in, or they put those things outside at some market entrances too. 

The surrounding environment does not matter, a properly working and calibrated IR thermometer measures surface properties. It can be placed under an aircon outlet at 22 degrees, but if your hand is at 36 degrees, it will measure around 36, as your hand will never reach such low environment temperature.

Saw a video of a bee the other day, flying in front of a temperature scan, and measured 38c or something like that. Are you really sure something doing that is accurate? 

As stated above, IR thermometers measure surface, not air. However, these instruments are not high-grade handheld IR guns used in industry or in laboratory, therefore they have cutoffs in order to measure accurately only at a certain distance (temperature is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the heat source), and a predetermined thermal emissivity value matching the average human skin (usually 0.95) So the 38 degrees was the temperature measured on the surface of the bee, with the instrument assuming it as the surface of a human hand or forehead.

Another good question.... If these temperate checks are so accurate, and really work.... Why may we not remove masks after passing that scan?🤔🤔🤔

Because these two aspects are not related. You can still be a virus carrier at 36 degrees.

Edited by Ivo_Shandor
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Transam said:

Your point was wrong on the temp machines, perhaps you don't know how they work.

But, perhaps you have one ear bigger than the other....😉

Wow great argument... You are wrong and I'm right. 😂

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

19 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

Because these two aspects are not related. You can still be a virus carrier at 36 degrees

I'm not the one relating them to each other. It's whoever said that these were the solution to the spread of Covid, that relate them to each other. They're just of no use. 

Good explanation further tho. Much more than some others who only say: you're wrong, I'm right. 

But what I explained about what I did with my forehead and my hand after holding ice. It showed up the same temperature. Also when I scan twice, it often shows 2 different temperatures. So I think that to some point, the environment around it matters. That or these machines are just not accurate at all. 

• Haha 1

But what I explained about what I did with my forehead and my hand after holding ice. It showed up the same temperature. Also when I scan twice, it often shows 2 different temperatures. So I think that to some point, the environment around it matters. That or these machines are just not accurate at all. 

These experiments are statistically irrelevant. You should repeat them at least 30 times, and do average and standard deviation. This fulfils repeatability. Then, you should repeat them on another statistically relevant sets of foreheads and hands, chosen to cover the average population (e.g., other 30 subjects, each one measured 30 times). This fulfils reproducibility. Also, you should assess a baseline, e.g., a measure against a standard surface with same emittivity of the skin. Afterwards, you may say something.

These machines may be not extremely accurate, usually they have plus/minus half grade of error in the 33-43 degree range; this is however sufficient to provide a good estimation of own temperature. Besides, the warning value is 37.5 degrees, although usually "fever" is commonly stated at 37 degrees; this takes into account the half grade error.

Edited by Ivo_Shandor
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Transam said:

So, the thousands of hospitals, clinics, airports, shops etc around the world that are using these freestanding meters, in your opinion, are daft. 🤔

May I ask your field in technology on the subject to come to your conclusion...🤓

Like I said, yes, and now the article said too that there's no proof that they are actually preventing covid. Or are you going to call the Thaiger conspiracy now? Fake news? Misinformation? 

These places have to use it, even though they know it's bs, because they are forced to as it's one of the requirements in the emergency decree. 

Wow, you're really asking me my field in technology.... What have you studied? Then from now on 0 opinions about anything else, got it? 

So we also shouldn't listen to Bill Gates? He dropped out, never studied for a doctor, never been one, never joined doctors on making a vaccine. 

I haven't studied science. If I say water is wet, I'm suddenly wrong? 

But, it's ok, you can keep living in your world where by 2032 you will bring your portable temperature scanner to everywhere you go. Others have thrown them away, but you still will scan it while getting odd looks, ask them for a paper, and write down your temperature, name, phone number, which they will throw away, because it's not relevant anymore. Getting your 67th booster while the doctor will say, it's alright, enough now. Be the last one wearing a mask while alone in a car. Your house will be turned into a bunker that has no normal water, but alcohol gel comes out of the taps and showers. 

Don't ask me what my field of technology is (because we all know that's another way of saying, hey dumbass, don't talk about shit you don't know) while you are the one who gets proven to be wrong time after time now including how bad Covid is. Because if Covid was as bad as some of you said it was, I would now be typing this from my grave lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

I've once even tested... I scanned my forehead which was scanned the same temperature as my hand. While my hand was icecold because I literally held ice, just to try. That's my explanation to your question. But how are you going to explain that? 

Again proving my point btw... 

3 hours ago, Transam said:

Your point was wrong on the temp machines, perhaps you don't know how they work.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

You should repeat them at least 30 times, and do average and standard deviation.

That’ll go down a treat at 7-11 😀

The aim of those extremely accurate  temperature scanners, Covid proof masks and social distancing was to raise awareness about a pandemic. As long as they were effective at that then they worked just fine. I for one no longer tongue kiss girls with the flu in queues. I am sure the girls, and their boyfriends, appreciate that. Win win! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ivo_Shandor said:

These experiments are statistically irrelevant. You should repeat them at least 30 times, and do average and standard deviation. This fulfils repeatability. Then, you should repeat them on another statistically relevant sets of foreheads and hands, chosen to cover the average population (e.g., other 30 subjects, each one measured 30 times). This fulfils reproducibility. Also, you should assess a baseline, e.g., a measure against a standard surface with same emittivity of the skin. Afterwards, you may say something.

I have seen it not only once if that's what you mean. It happened enough that I just don't give a sht about these things. More than once I've had a temperature of 34c. But who ever got hypothermia in Bangkok? 

I'm not going to write down every number I see, every thing I check. It's not that if you never do that, you have no case against anything. But in 2022, whenever you don't have data and links, you are instantly wrong. That's in my view just like: Hey You! Don't speak! Use our words because of course our data are right. 

In 2032 we'll just be arguing with links on a forum, nothing else, because we are not allowed to say anything else than some researches and data, because everything else is wrong. That could go down a slippery slope. We're jerking off too much over researches and data. 

+ in real life data also appears to be wrong. Quick, to the masks... My school closed down for a week because a lot of students got covid. They all were wearing masks.... Where's the data now? They said they are likely to prevent covid. Well, I've seen now with my own eyes how it has prevented it. Some of the kids even wore 2 masks. 

If all researches and data are right, why do they only seem to count now here, but in the west not given a f about? There daily life seems to go well now.... 

Again, we are jerking off too much about data.... Aah graphs,,, oh yeah, numbers, fck that's some sexy statistic😍

• Like 1