News Forum - Pattaya locals question new zig-zag lines on roads

Thaiger

New zig-zag lines painted on roads in Pattaya have left locals scratching their heads. So much so that a man posted pictures on social media last week questioning what they were. The man had never come across any zig-zag lines when he was learning to drive. The local man from Pattaya posted pictures of the zig-zag lines in a Facebook group named พัทยาทอร์ค or Pattaya Talk, and asked what they were for. Several netizens replied saying the lines are there to help warn drivers to reduce their speed when approaching a pedestrian crossing. Others added funny comments saying the lines […]

The story Pattaya locals question new zig-zag lines on roads as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In the U.K. these are placed either side of a pedestrian crossing to indicate no parking and no overtaking. Very common to see them in the U.K.  They are also used in Holland and around schools to indicate you should slow down and not park. I’m sure many other countries use them. 

It doesn’t surprise me that locals in Pattaya are confused by them. I doubt most would know what a pedestrian crossing actually is. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saunk said:

Been living in the US my whole life and have never seen these zig zag lines. 🤣

The USA is not representative of the entire civilized world. The lines are used in many other countries.

Edited by Vigo
  • Like 2

when you are drunk , this lines will help you to understand the brain there something wrong in the road and the driver will stop.

in many cases the reaction is so fast because of alcholol the drive tends to apply hard brake and forgiving the kick of the drink !!

Thai drivers regard all road markings as nothing more that street art. So we must congratulate the roads dept for adding some new artwork to delight the eyes of the gazillions of dirty farang tourists who are pouring into the country!

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

In the U.K. these are placed either side of a pedestrian crossing to indicate no parking and no overtaking. Very common to see them in the U.K.  They are also used in Holland and around schools to indicate you should slow down and not park. I’m sure many other countries use them. 

It doesn’t surprise me that locals in Pattaya are confused by them. I doubt most would know what a pedestrian crossing actually is. 

They were used in Australia also, I recall seeing them when I was a kid. I can't say I have seen any lately. I guess people in Australia ignored them as well.

Despite all the recent discussions and even a death on a Pedestrian crossing, it seems very little is being done to enforce the law around these crossings. There is one that crosses from the 7-11 to Rhompo market on Jomtien 2nd road. 

it’s just a joke, drivers actually park on it whilst visiting the 7 and the other shops. The red light is regularly completely ignored and you will see near misses every day, where some drivers respect the law and others weave in between them and flout it. 

Motorbikes seem to think it’s there to enable U-Turns.

In fact, it was actually less dangerous before the crossing was installed, because pedestrians would cross with the utmost attention. Now they believe they have the safety of a red light and it has given them a false sense of security.

There will be a serious life changing accident or even a death soon, unless the police take some action to teach drivers that a red light means STOP. I take it that this is taught in driver training. 

The last time I was there a blue Nissan was parked right on the crossing itself and as the diver pulled away a sliver car pulled up to take it’s place completely blocking the point at which pedestrians would cross.

If the local authorities were to install two temporary cameras they would make a fortune. The cameras would be paid for in their first day of operation.

As mentioned by others in the U.K. It is a serious offence to park within the zig zag lines and even more serious to jump a red light.

Edited by BBY
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, BBY said:

Despite all the recent discussions and even a death on a Pedestrian crossing, it seems very little is being done to enforce the law around these crossings. There is one that crosses from the 7-11 to Rhompo market on Jomtien 2nd road. 

it’s just a joke, drivers actually park on it whilst visiting the 7 and the other shops. The red light is regularly completely ignored and you will see near misses every day, where some drivers respect the law and others weave in between them and flout it. 

Motorbikes seem to think it’s there to enable U-Turns.

In fact, it was actually less dangerous before the crossing was installed, because pedestrians would cross with the utmost attention. Now they believe they have the safety of a red light and it has given them a false sense of security.

There will be a serious life changing accident or even a death soon, unless the police take some action to teach drivers that a red light means STOP. I take it that this is taught in driver training. 

The last time I was there a blue Nissan was parked right on the crossing itself and as the diver pulled away a sliver car pulled up to take it’s place completely blocking the point at which pedestrians would cross.

If the local authorities were to install two temporary cameras they would make a fortune. The cameras would be paid for in their first day of operation.

As mentioned by others in the U.K. It is a serious offence to park within the zig zag lines and even more serious to jump a red light.

So once again, it's down to enforcement.....or, in the case of Thailand usually, lack thereof. 

• Like 1