News Forum - Meta downgrades commitment to Facebook News service, tech giants don’t want to pay for News

Thaiger

Meta, aka Facebook, are looking to review commitments to pay publishers for their news articles. The payments, said to be 100s of million US$ a year to mostly larger news publishers, have shown little return to the Facebook platform or gained them many extra users. Some of the larger publishers, both in the US and elsewhere, are going to have to figure out a way to make up for a substantial shortfall if Facebook decides to abandon its commitment to sharing the news articles, and paying for the pleasure. Sites include The Washington Post which was making US$20 million a […]

The story Meta downgrades commitment to Facebook News service, tech giants don’t want to pay for News as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Here is the thing about free news... You get what you pay for. Which is essential any random person with a blog posting an article as it it's news. Not that the large news outlets are much better (they all have their bias). FB should just admit it's out of the news business altogether, and embrace the cessool image it cultivates. 

A few years ago my feed was filled with various news sources and no adverts! Now I get No news, and assloads of "Recommenced sites" (useless crap) and adverts which sends a message on messenger if you try and swipe past them too quickly! Only useful as you can use it to sign in here instead of the rigmarole of registering!!!!

• Like 1

Clearly anyone who inhabits the Meta playpen has no interest in intelligent news reporting but prefers to consume the twisted social media dross that purports to be citizen driven news when it is in fact nothing but junk. These dolts feed on junk news just like they feed on junk food.

Used to pay for news when I bought a newspaper. pages and pages of adds drove me to despair. so stopped buying them.

Internet now the same, ads ads ads, so now don't miss facebook. Must be getting old.

Gone back to TV still have the ads every ten minutes for 5 minute toilet break etc. and I pay nothing.

This is the fake news stuff coming back to bite. Expecting Facebook to censor the news they reprint is not worth the financial damage and reputation risk to them especially when you have to pay for the content in the first place.