News Forum - Famous Thai cyclist killed in road accident in Thailand

Thaiger

Famous Thai cyclist Nirantra Phramthong was killed yesterday in a road accident in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima. The 53 year old was struck by a 10-wheel truck at 8.10am at the construction site of an elevated road junction on the special highway linking Bang Pa In with Nakhon Ratchasima and died instantly. The 41 year old truck driver, Pradit Thiangtham, didn’t flee from the scene and waited to inform the police of what happened. Pradit says he wasn’t driving fast because he was in a traffic jam and some road lanes were under construction. He claimed that he […]

The story Famous Thai cyclist killed in road accident in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Very few Thai’s even bother to take a driver test to obtain a licence, it’s so easy and quite normal to just give the examiner a bung !!

Thailands driving licence and road safety laws need to be dragged screaming into the 21 century as the standards of ability whilst using the network are atrocious.

All Road users need to have full knowledge and understanding of the driving laws and regulations, but no one seems to get a handle on the problem, which left alone and to do nothing will account for more deaths and misery for the lovely Thai people.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Yeah, lets make it just like England shall we? 😃

Not a big fan of road safety Poolie, why don't they make a law where you have to have brakes that don't work, oops sorry they already have that law. 😃

Quote: The Thai cyclist’s death has become a major topic of discussion on social media with a number of People criticising the nations dangerous roads.

Sorry but it’s the drivers on the roads. I travelled from Bangkok to Sisaket today and I saw dangerous acts of overtaking into oncoming traffic pushing the vehicles to the margin if the road on numerous occasions. Twice Utes that wanted to get past me in slow traffic literally pushed in forcing me over or we would have had an accident and I might add that I don’t waste time on the roads. They have no regard for pedestrians or motorcyclists. 

Said it before you, definitely need to see a shrink if  you want to ride a motor bike here, definitely certifiably insane wanting to ride a push bike.  (unless your Superman or already had frontal lobe lobotomy)

10 wheeler, some 10 tonnes empty against 100 kgs, sorry no contest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, palooka said:

Said it before you, definitely need to see a shrink if  you want to ride a motor bike here, definitely certifiably insane wanting to ride a push bike.  (unless your Superman or already had frontal lobe lobotomy)

I guess some of us are just born to be wild, life in the fast lane (in Thailand that would be the inside lane).😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

I ride both daily in LOS.....but have to be a bit crazy to stay here.... Regards, Superman

• Like 1

But many time the construction on the road make no sense even lining or traffic lights why is there no red arrow for turn right when the light for strait turn green you think you can go but you have to wait for the green arrow i see many time this go wrong people think they can go and when work on the road and close one lane they just block the lane 5 meter before the work no common sense and planing skills  whatsoever  

It's likely that everyone blames the one who killed the other one. 

But.... 

It's also known, and out of my own experience, that cyclists are really dangerous in traffic. Just like motorcycles, they behave as if the whole road is theirs. 

Now, reading this article, the cyclist seems very experienced, but is he also experienced with the blind spots of a truck? 

• Like 2

It's not so much the roads that are dangerous as the village idiots who multi-task while driving with absolutely no concern for their operating environment. The number of fools who think it is cool to conduct a phone conversation while weaving in and out of traffic - at speed - just so they are first to the next red traffic light is phenomenal. If we see more police ON THE ROAD and patrolling, instead of just turning up at traffic accidents, and pulling idiots over to fine them (officially, not the 500 baht one) things might start to steady. 

On 6/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, Prosaap said:

But many time the construction on the road make no sense even lining or traffic lights why is there no red arrow for turn right when the light for strait turn green you think you can go but you have to wait for the green arrow i see many time this go wrong people think they can go and when work on the road and close one lane they just block the lane 5 meter before the work no common sense and planing skills  whatsoever  

Or where you have a green arrow... turns green at the same time as the straight-ahead arrow... IN BOTH DIRECTIONS! Phitsanulok is great for it!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

Or where you have a green arrow... turns green at the same time as the straight-ahead arrow... IN BOTH DIRECTIONS! Phitsanulok is great for it!

Haha like 3,2,1, everyone..... GO!!!! 

*police grabs popcorn*