News Forum - Restaurant feels heat from police after expanding business into bus stop

Thaiger

A restaurant was left with a sour taste in its mouth after being warned about expanding its business into a nearby bus stop. Local police officials were notified by a Facebook blogger, ขาเกือบพลิก, who complained that a restaurant in the northeastern province of Khon Kaen had taken over a bus stop and was serving food to customers. The Facebook page, ขาเกือบพลิก, which means sprained my ankle, was created to highlight and criticise the number of different problems Thai people face on a daily basis – and usually on Thailand’s many sidewalks. A number of the complaints include motorbikes on sidewalks, […]

The story Restaurant feels heat from police after expanding business into bus stop as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

Can't blame the guy for trying... 🤣

Can not disagree in principle although given the "operation" appears to be in non daylight hours after last  bus?. Energy source for lighting? Solar reserves or a subtle connection via a cable from?

Objection quite possibly based on missed opportunity despite the wrongful use of a public facility !

Across Thailand the proliferation of enterprises that inhabit and pollute the already inferior sewerage capacity of local infrastructure is fascinating to witness and know is enabled by the illegitimate"lease" of public access spaces .

In my local town I am often bemused by the fact on any one day I need traverse my way to a selection of  one of three major side by  side franchise outlets via the actual roadway because the footpath is fully occupied by food stands ....operational or expectant.. or bulk stock such as water bottles on stacked pallets !

Is it tolerance or trepidation to object that perpetuates the basic corruption and abuse?

Nowhere is sacrosanct from the Thai pop up stall, bus stops, pedestrian crossings, schools, wats, etc anywhere there is a gathering of populace.

How about we have a gathering of the populace in Pnuts office. He might do something about it then.

12 hours ago, extoxttra said:

Is it tolerance or trepidation to object that perpetuates the basic corruption and abuse?

Probably both. 

Common practice of using the public sidewalk as part of your business trade area.  Similar to (some) business owners blocking street parking in front of their shop.  

Glass half full or empty, depending on POV.   At first blush, would appear this guy had an unfair advantage, and wouldn't be surprised if jealous shop owners joined the social media fray to get this guy pulled up by the cops.

Now that bus stop is a glaring disadvantage in that he can't partake in the common practice of using the sidewalk outside his shop.

Could imagine a confrontation where a waiting bus rider sits down at the conveniently located table and chairs without ordering any food/drink.  In the USA, likely to escalate into someone being shot and killed, with a Bazooka.