News Forum - Indonesia jumps ahead of Thailand with new 5 year digital nomad visa 

Thaiger

Yes, remote workers have finally got a break with Indonesia’s announcement of a visa specifically for the digital nomad crowd. In the post-Covid world, with world office and work habits going through such profound changes, the option for a digital nomad visa, where remote workers could work in a south East Asian resort location rather than a dank office, will be very appealing. Indonesia, particularly Bali, will be huge beneficiaries by coming up with a targeted remote work visa first. Thailand, on the other hand, has the Smart Visa, but remains very targeted with quite onerous conditions to obtain them. […]

The story Indonesia jumps ahead of Thailand with new 5 year digital nomad visa  as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The devil will be in the details. Pretty sure there will be some hoops to jump through. Equally sure, there will be a lot less hoops than in Thailand.

Its amazing more countries dont jump at the opportunity to have people living in their country (therefore spending in their country) while deriving their income from a "rich western country."   This should be a no brainer.  But time and again governments demonstrate that power and control are more important than prosperity for their people.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Its amazing more countries dont jump at the opportunity to have people living in their country (therefore spending in their country) while deriving their income from a "rich western country."   This should be a no brainer.  But time and again governments demonstrate that power and control are more important than prosperity for their people.  

Not to mention outright fear of the foreigner or alien. Foreigners might actually start showing people what goes on outside of their country. That will never do for some countries who like to limit access to information and have the chance to spin bad news. 

9 hours ago, Janneman said:

The devil will be in the details. Pretty sure there will be some hoops to jump through. Equally sure, there will be a lot less hoops than in Thailand.

Women may need consider some of the hoops if deciding on Indonesia

One thing ive noticed which is important regarding this news is that the UK specifically is now trying to discourage remote working and demand workers return to the office post covid, including the civil servants. Who is going to be send to idyllic island to work. All seems a bit far fetched to me, even google isn't going to support it.

I cant imagine Japan going  along with it .. maybe China?? the amount of high wealth earners with their own companies will to work remotely is not big enough surely 

Open it up to all remote workers thats my advice

Indonesia just recycling the same announcement from last year. Here we are in June 2022 and nothing in place from Indonesia or Thailand. 

But, you would have to pay me to live in Bali, not the other way around.

• Like 1

Got to say as much as I love the country, Thailand is way far to short sighted (should have gone to spec savers) to see that the benefits of high numbers of normal (large compared to local) foreign salaried staff coming to live in Thailand with their families, far out ways the few rich people, which let’s face it, don’t see Thailand as attractive compared to other places offering them much more.

I am afraid it will be an age before Thailand realises that it’s not the privilege they think it is to be able to stay and contribute to their local economy. It is in-fact entirely the opposite and that Thailand should be grateful the nomad chooses Thailand to live and operate from. Instead of loopholes to jump through and targets to achieve, there should be incentives such as tax, like first new car purchase tax free etc etc. I believe at one point Malaysia we’re offering the first 12 months Tax free purchases on everything to set up your home.

it will be a long time before Thailand realise you have to attract these people, not give them challenges and hoops to jump through.  

Edited by BBY
  • Like 1