TAT announces 1,500 travellers arriving in Phuket July 1

Thaiger

The much-maligned and restriction heavy Phuket Sandbox plan might open with a bang, as the Tourism Authority of Thailand announced that 1,500 people would arrive on July 1. The governor of TAT said that international flights scheduled to arrive in Phuket on the first day of reopening have 1,500 tickets booked so far. The island intends to welcome back the first arrivals in over a year and a half with celebration and festivities. TAT is inviting media outlets and international agencies to take part in the Phuket reopening and have invited 200 members of the media and these agencies to […]

The post TAT announces 1,500 travellers arriving in Phuket July 1 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

"The governor of TAT said that international flights scheduled to arrive in Phuket on the first day of reopening have 1,500 tickets booked so far. The island intends to welcome back the first arrivals in over a year and a half with celebration and festivities."

1,500 tickets is 5 planes full. On which airlines will the happy travelers be flying? "Celebration and festivities" seems to imply a Day-One marketing op. What are the figures for July 2? I wonder if it's still possible to get a super-cheap (free?) ticket for the first...

• Like 3

So now it's projected to be 100K in travelers between July through September. It was 129K just a week or two ago, the projection actually went down. Lets be real, there was never a question of a nice little bump the first week. Its what happens in the following weeks that really matter toward success. When they opened Hawaii last October, they too got nice numbers the first week. Two weeks later it was half that number and halved again after another two weeks. The number are finally back to pre Covid levels now, but it took half a year to get there and it's all domestic travel doing the lifting.  

• Like 2

With all due respect, No one will arrive on July 1 because no one got the required CoE certificate of entry….no publication in the royal gazette so far! My flight is in 4 days!

• Like 2

1499 arrivals. I have since moved my flight to July 3 to allow a bit more time for COE. If they can't get the Royal Gazette approval out today (Friday) then that 1499 figure is going to plummet as other travelers do the same.

Is the person typing the Gazette just using two fingers? 'Glacial' is not a word normally associated with Thailand, but seriously, how long can it take??? ONE job! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I applaud the optimism of the TAT! 

However, you're living in LA LA LAND! 

There is no report that I can find, of lunatics, having escaped on mass.

1500 arrivals day one, cracking joke.

• Haha 3

Just checked Thailands own Covid alert level.

Thailand has placed itself, on its own RED LIST!

According to the Thai Department for Disease Control (DDC), Thailand is RED.

AMAZING THAILAND.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

My flight arrives on 5 July and currently I hold a CoE with a confirmed booking at a quarantine qualified hotel (ALQ) which I am hoping to cancel and replace with an SHA+ hotel for which I am also holding a booking

Absolutely no embassy anywhere in the world has issued a CoE for any SHA+ Hotels for those fully vaccinated and who do not have to quarantine

Does anyone know or can they tell me when the rules will become authorised/legal and published in the Royal Thai Gazette?

As far as the London consulate is concerned I cannot get a replacement CoE until I see that I can reapply on their website and that will not happen until they get formally informed via all the details being confirmed in the gazette

They simply tell me to keep looking at their website

If that doesn't happen by tomorrow evening UK time I doubt it would happen before Monday and as such I think it will be nigh on impossible for people to get a CoE prior to arrival on Thursday July 1 as they will have a mere 3 days to process all applications

They are cutting it fine and I would not be very optimistic of 1500 visitors arriving from various global destinations on the first day of the program opening

• Like 1

Neill: I have a question for you about 'getting to Phuket'.

I have a flight landing in Bangkok from California on 25th August. At one time there was talk of 'transfer flights' from Bangkok to Phuket, as part of the 'Sandbox' plan. Can you give me an update on this ?

As for 1st. of July = The 'Sandbox' will be hit with some 'High Tide' waves of confusion and needed adjustments during the first few weeks . . . . I just hope the 'Sandbox' is still up and running on my return to Thailand and not 'washed out' to Sea by the virus 3rd. wave.

Good luck to everyone !

• Like 1

More contradictions - Phuket News yesterday reported 440 arrivals quoting Airport Authorities......when will the media start challenging these numbers instead of just reporting them - I can’t even find this story on PN.....fantasyland....creates false expectations amongst local business’s (thai ones anyway) ...

• Cool 1

25 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

i am impressed, will eat my straw hat if they will count those numbers at arrival

Your straw hat is pretty safe Alex.  JamesE probably nailed the math TAT has used for their anticipated arrivals.  As I think you've pointed out before, the proof will be in the actual scheduled arrivals and cancellations.

TAT ever hopeful, same same my wife of winning the big lottery.

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, hdemet said:

My flight arrives on 5 July and currently I hold a CoE with a confirmed booking at a quarantine qualified hotel (ALQ) which I am hoping to cancel and replace with an SHA+ hotel for which I am also holding a booking

Absolutely no embassy anywhere in the world has issued a CoE for any SHA+ Hotels for those fully vaccinated and who do not have to quarantine

Does anyone know or can they tell me when the rules will become authorised/legal and published in the Royal Thai Gazette?

As far as the London consulate is concerned I cannot get a replacement CoE until I see that I can reapply on their website and that will not happen until they get formally informed via all the details being confirmed in the gazette

They simply tell me to keep looking at their website

If that doesn't happen by tomorrow evening UK time I doubt it would happen before Monday and as such I think it will be nigh on impossible for people to get a CoE prior to arrival on Thursday July 1 as they will have a mere 3 days to process all applications

They are cutting it fine and I would not be very optimistic of 1500 visitors arriving from various global destinations on the first day of the program opening

Ha-ha, and best wishes for your Phuket plans . . . It's fingers crossed, I guess!

Hello, hdemet and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Australian tourists won’t be amongst those travellers. Australian Government saying travel restrictions not likely to be lifted till June 2022. Prisoners in our own country. Miss Thailand.

• Cool 1

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

1,500 tickets is 5 planes full. On which airlines will the happy travelers be flying? "Celebration and festivities" seems to imply a Day-One marketing op. What are the figures for July 2? I wonder if it's still possible to get a super-cheap (free?) ticket for the first...

let me go and try to buy 50 tickets on that flight from Doha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

let me go and try to buy 50 tickets on that flight from Doha

As i suspected, i could buy 9 tickets on a red carpet flight from Doha (9 is max allowed number). Let's wait for official numbers, cause i just saw what will be published in Royal gazette and 2,800 baht x 3 tests and twice a day reports to SHA, plus full time movement tracking comes just a bit short of wearing Yellow Badges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do any of you guys remember that PR exercise re-opening Pattaya in 2020? And all those 'golf quarantine' arrivals? And on and on and on it went.  Hopefully this time Thailand gets it right with the Phuket sandbox - if they do all this PR stuff (they will make sure several hundred arrive from somewhere) and then they close it all down - yet again - things will go from very bad to catastrophic.  What they should be doing is focussing on opening all 'Tourist Provinces' on October 1  - meaning Phuket and the other Islands, Chon Buri (Pattaya), Chiang Mai and maybe 1 or 2 others will be open on 1st October.  Focussing it all on Phuket which is really a test run is an extremely silly thing to do - and I have seen many silly things happen in Thailand.., Regarding other Provinces I guarantee you that the vast majority of Thai people in Ubon, Roi Et, Yasothon etc do not want tourists coming until they themselves are vaccinated - and very few of them are vaccinated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolZephyr said:

Australian tourists won’t be amongst those travellers. Australian Government saying travel restrictions not likely to be lifted till June 2022. Prisoners in our own country. Miss Thailand.

Thailand will miss the Aussies, too, for sure!

Hello, CoolZephyr and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

More contradictions - Phuket News yesterday reported 440 arrivals quoting Airport Authorities......when will the media start challenging these numbers instead of just reporting them - I can’t even find this story on PN.....fantasyland....creates false expectations amongst local business’s (thai ones anyway) ...

That's the question that's frustrating many people . . . a seeming reluctance - fear, maybe - by the media to dig for the truth from those that are supposedly 'in the know'.

Hello, Maverick and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

LALALA

Having lived in LOScam for 7 years there is one thing I can say for sure. Never trust anything what a Thai person says or predicts and especially not what comes out of TAT and other government agencies.

Its that simple.

2 hours ago, CoolZephyr said:

I wouldn't mind being a prisoner in your country with Miss Thailand. Just sayin'.

• Haha 2

Just more PR fodder to keep investors from continuing to pullout of Thailand. Has everyone already forgotten they pulled this shenanigan last Fall, with the hordes of chinese millionaires they claimed were en route to Phuket? ?‍♂️

If you've put money towards this, you're simply foolish. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, hdemet said:

Due to be tomorrow, Saturday, @ hdemet.

Due to be.

• Haha 1