Tourist visa requirements

We are traveling from New Zealand back to Thailand for a 6 week stay  but were surprised that they now require proof of accommodation 

for the entire stay to get a 60 day tourist visa.

I dont remember this rule in the past, and it would make it very difficult to change plans on where to go.

Has anyone had experience on booking through an accommodation site for the documentation, and then canceling the

booking to satisfy the visa requirements to allow for having the freedom to travel as we please?

We will obviously be staying in Hotels or guest houses but would like a bit more freedom.    cheers

As a New Zealand national, you can enter Visa exempt.
On entry, you'll be granted a stay of 30 days, which you can extend for a further 30 days at a local Immigration office.

There is no requirement to provide pre-booked accommodation, however you will require a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. You can change the return flight dates after entry.

My concern is that I may be refused by the airline as our return date is more than the 30 days for the Visa exemption....Id be happy to extend if I knew we could get in

1 hour ago, skid said:

My concern is that I may be refused by the airline as our return date is more than the 30 days for the Visa exemption....Id be happy to extend if I knew we could get in

You should book a 30-day return, then change the return date after entering Thailand.

Alternatively, find a site where you can book accommodation for the duration with cash on arrival conditions (no card details). What you do and where you go once you enter is a different matter.

This is all starting to sound ridiculous and sinister . Have to book hotels for the duration of stay, what other countries require that. 
I am starting to suspect something sinister going on . Maintain the emergency decree , maintain mask wearing, don’t do this don’t do that. Keep control. 
Other countries have moved on . 
I have never been asked to prove return flight from Thailand. 
Good luck 

We are starting to consider 3 weeks in Viet Nam first...then return for the last 3 weeks in Thailand....We already have tickets to BKK so we will have to go from there.....Other than that ,they are forcing us to ''cheat'' with bookings or set the whole 6 weeks in stone...(not our style)

Its a ridiculous rule....We have had a tourist visa for Thailand before ,but never had to jump through that hoop..........................One gets the distinct feeling they want to discourage longer stays 

15 hours ago, skid said:

Its a ridiculous rule....We have had a tourist visa for Thailand before ,but never had to jump through that hoop..........................One gets the distinct feeling they want to discourage longer stays 

Agreed, it defeats the meaning of 'Tourist' and 'touring'.
The Thai Embassies are regulated by Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, not Immigration.
Sometimes both defy any logic to their rules.

Neither appear to have a clue how the other operates.

You could still enter Visa exempt and extend for a further 30 days (1,900 baht). No pre-booked accommodation required, other than say the first night in a hotel.