Eating Animals .

Lumpy_Custard

Recently while out driving on Thai roads I've for some unknown reason started  to notice more and more pickups and large trucks transporting live animals . These open pickups and trucks contain mostly pigs , cow’s and chickens  which in my humble view tend to display what look like animals suffering in distress . 

As I drive by these slaughter house vehicles and see the obvious distressed state these poor animals are in I start to become instantly sad and unhappy.  Now at meal time when I start eating meat from those unfortunate animals , straight away I have a vivid flash back in my mind of those unfortunate creatures on the way to their painful death. 

Any one else ever had similar thoughts .

LC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, I don't. But your post highlights the lamentable situation with ALL animal welfare in Thailand. From pets to livestock to wildlife, there are virtually no laws to protect animals and those that exist are seldom enforced.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:24 PM, Lumpy_Custard said:

Recently while out driving on Thai roads I've for some unknown reason started  to notice more and more pickups and large trucks transporting live animals . These open pickups and trucks contain mostly pigs , cow’s and chickens  which in my humble view tend to display what look like animals suffering in distress . 

As I drive by these slaughter house vehicles and see the obvious distressed state these poor animals are in I start to become instantly sad and unhappy.  Now at meal time when I start eating meat from those unfortunate animals , straight away I have a vivid flash back in my mind of those unfortunate creatures on the way to their painful death. 

Any one else ever had similar thoughts .

LC

yes.  I try not to look at the poor pigs' being taken to slaughter, but I do love bacon.  It's the human condition to have empathy with animals we rear to eat. Ask any farmer.  They love their animals but they are not sentimental about them. Check out Clarkson's Farm on U Tube  and Amazon Prime.  He goes through just such a debate in his head.  Its well presented for humour, but it still covers some emotional parts.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, Pinetree said:

It's the human condition to have empathy with animals we rear to eat. Ask any farmer.  They love their animals but they are not sentimental about them.

So true. My brother is a part time farmer. One visit we were eating dinner and my 9 year old nephew stunned me when he matter of factly declared that “Bessy tastes good”. His younger brothers and sisters grunted in agreement while shoveling bits of that sweet eyed cow into their mouths.

• Like 2

Give vegetarianism a try or just reduce your animal consumption a bit at a time...your health and conscience may feel the benefits and offset the sorrow suffering causes. 

Animals eat animals. Yes seen way too many pig trucks, but the worst thing for me in thought is that I better slow down if on the motorcyle to not smell it and to not get their urine and poo dropping in your face or on you. Oh ok, yes I have felt bad for the pigs and they must realize something is off and not good.

5 hours ago, Tea said:

Give vegetarianism a try or just reduce your animal consumption a bit at a time...your health and conscience may feel the benefits and offset the sorrow suffering causes. 

I was a vegetarian for over 3 years back in the day.  As I am the household cook, and a dedicated  foody, It just  made me miserable,  with no obvious  health benefits.  When I went back to meat eating , I felt much healthier, with more energy. Never again.  As for veganism, well they are just nutters of the first order. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:55 AM, Shishi said:

Consider seafood as an alternative.

A highly dubious alternative - our seas are being devoted by over-fishing and fish farms are polluting our rivers and coastlines.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, Pinetree said:

I was a vegetarian for over 3 years back in the day.  As I am the household cook, and a dedicated  foody, It just  made me miserable,  with no obvious  health benefits.  When I went back to meat eating , I felt much healthier, with more energy. Never again.  As for veganism, well they are just nutters of the first order. 

Good on you for giving it a go...to each his own...but ar least you did your own research!

• Thanks 1