Are two bank accounts required for a married couple or will one do?

Billy1966

My wife and I are retiring to Thailand in August. I know the Bank requirements for the non o retirement visa.

Do we both have to meet the requirements separately, or is one Bank account good for the two of us ? Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Thai wife or foreign wife?

Are you enquiring about opening an account or the Immigration financial requirements for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement?

She was born in Thailand but now has a US passport. Yes the bank account(s) are for the requirement 

for  non immigrant O visas. It seems a very complicated process.  

Also, I read somewhere that if you were born in Thailand you are always Thai, even if you have a foreign passport. Is that true? Thanks

always Thai but needs to arrive on a Thai passport to avoid immigration rules, your wife will need to have her name in a Thai house book and Thai id card and then a passport, if she does not have them prior to arrival she will need to arrive on US passport, then obtain the above items and then best to leave Thailand by air and return on Thai passport, 

you will need a bank account in your name only to obtain a yearly extension based on a Thai wife or retirement, you will first need an non immigrant visa.

• 1 year later...

If you need the account for the 400,000 deposit for the Thai wife visa, you will need your own account. A joint account will not be acceptable. If you need help, we can give you further guidance. Please check out www.thailegalprotection.com or DM me if you have questions. 

Peter