News Forum - Cruise ships set to return to Phuket for first time since pandemic

Thaiger

The southern island of Phuket is set to welcome back the cruise ships, for the first time since the start of the pandemic. According to a Bangkok Post report, the Spectrum of the Seas will dock in Phuket next month. Pichet Songtan from the Thai Maritime Enforcement Command Centre Region 3 says officials have given the ship, which is operated by Royal Caribbean International, permission to dock. The Spectrum of the Seas has 16 decks and can transport 4,188 passengers, at a full speed of 22 knots, according to the Bangkok Post. It’s understood the cruise ship will resume travel […]

The story Cruise ships set to return to Phuket for first time since pandemic as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Are we sure about this? Will the Thai government grant entry to cruise ships or ban them again, due to monkeypox? 1 month is a long time and given the Thai government's propensity for flip flopping, I wouldn't risk arriving on a cruise ship. If you remember back to 2020, Thailand was one of the first countries to ban cruise ships and I'm sure they'll be banned again if even one "monkeypox" case is idenfitied in Thailand between now and then.

• Like 1

SO what does this mean of the required Thailand Pass, when entering Thailand from the ships???  Does this mean special Circumstances for the Cruise passengers over people entering Thailand throught other ways of entry??? Or has it been set the Thailand Government will eliminate the requirements of the "Thailand Pass"???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AmbientMopar said:

SO what does this mean of the required Thailand Pass, when entering Thailand from the ships???  Does this mean special Circumstances for the Cruise passengers over people entering Thailand throught other ways of entry??? Or has it been set the Thailand Government will eliminate the requirements of the "Thailand Pass"???

Good question. I would think everyone on that ship that intends to disembark in Phuket will need a ThailandPass QR code

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Good question. I would think everyone on that ship that intends to disembark in Phuket will need a ThailandPass QR code

Except for Thais, from June 1st.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, Highlandman said:

Are we sure about this? Will the Thai government grant entry to cruise ships or ban them again, due to monkeypox? 1 month is a long time and given the Thai government's propensity for flip flopping, I wouldn't risk arriving on a cruise ship. If you remember back to 2020, Thailand was one of the first countries to ban cruise ships and I'm sure they'll be banned again if even one "monkeypox" case is idenfitied in Thailand between now and then.

Given the cruise lines struggles to hire back staff, I would not be surprised if the cruise lines themselves change their mind about this route

34 minutes ago, Faz said:

Except for Thais, from June 1st.

Probably coming to pick up the Thais interesting in the 1000s of open positions on cruise lines 😉 (as was noted in a previous Thaiger news story)

• Haha 1

We, Thai Wife and myself & American will be on-board this very ship in June into July, boarding in Singapore and returning to Singapore. Also looking at the longer sailings that reach Phuket. Which leads back to the question of Thailand Pass.  Thailand Wife  will be able to  Disembark the ship with no problem why am I the American and will possibly need a Thailand Pass  to exit the ship to enter the country in which I reside. Someone please help us with the correct information. 

What tends to happen is the cruise line work with local authorities to process any necessary passes or visas onboard. Sometimes guests have to present themselves for a quick inspection, other times it is seamless.

It’s fairly common place and made simple by the ship’s log of guests and crew. When the ship holds your passport it is returned briefly for presentation to local immigration officials when necessary.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, Henry said:

What tends to happen is the cruise line work with local authorities to process any necessary passes or visas onboard. Sometimes guests have to present themselves for a quick inspection, other times it is seamless.

It’s fairly common place and made simple by the ship’s log of guests and crew. When the ship holds your passport it is returned briefly for presentation to local immigration officials when necessary.

Thanks. Yes I've experienced this process in the past. The Cruise line took care of needed paperwork without a hitch e zee pee z..