30+ stay from USA - renewal ??

I could not find this anywhere here but I play to visit Thailand for a few months maybe in September+.    By then I am hoping the Thai Pass is gone. I don't mind the insurance mandate, and may get complete coverage for my stay anyway (it may be cheaper than dealing with my USA insurance in case I need to use it).

My understanding for a USA citizen:

US citizens who wish to visit Thailand as a tourist do not need a visa to enter the country. They can arrive in Thailand and stay for a maximum of 30 days. They may then extend the permit for another 30 days by visiting any local immigration office. The cost to extend is 1,900 Thai Baht.

I plan to visit (probably fly) to Vietnam and/or Cambodia while I am there for a weekend. If I do this before the 30th day, does that automatically renew my stay for another 30 days when I re-enter and get stamped (does it just reset the "clock")?     I assume this applies to 30 consecutive days (and not a total of 30 days ).

I also read on the USA Embassy site:

If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must generally be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended at the discretion of an immigration officer once for an additional 30 days with the total period of stay no longer than 90 days.  There is a 1,900 Baht fee for the extension. 

I visited Thailand last year but cannot read the stamps in my book so wonder how they do (maybe they record it in a computer)?

Wonder if any of this like the longer tourist visa or renewal can be done online or all in person (in USA and/or Thailand)?  

Also is there a limit on how many times a year one can visit?

Thanks!

You can enter Visa exempt and be granted a stay of 30 days, which can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration, OR, you can obtain a Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy US, which grants a stay of 60 days on entry and can be extended a further 30 days at Immigration.

Only 2 Visa exempt border entries permitted in 12 months.
No restriction on Visa exempt entries by air (in writing) but at some point you may be questioned and refused entry due to staying to long as a 'tourist' and advised to obtain the correct Visa for 'long stays'.

See; 

3 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I plan to visit (probably fly) to Vietnam and/or Cambodia while I am there for a weekend. If I do this before the 30th day, does that automatically renew my stay for another 30 days when I re-enter and get stamped (does it just reset the "clock")?     I assume this applies to 30 consecutive days (and not a total of 30 days ).

The 30 days permit resets every time you exit and re-enter. As mentioned by Faz there is a limit of two entries (if you travel by land) though theoretically unlimited if by air. If you are near a land border it may be easier to just pop out and have a short excursion to a neighbouring country before returning to Thailand. Eg visit Ventianne via Nomg Khai,  Savannakhet via Mukdahan, Cambodia via Sa Kaeo, Malaysia via Danok. 

Edited by M.O.
reply in quote moved

Thanks.. 

So all this is monitored by the Passport? They must use a database since the stamps are unreadable :)

I did find this site where I think I can get the pre-approved 60 day Visa ahead of time..,, Maybe save me a trip when in Thailand to local Immigration (as not sure if they in many cities)...and I may be on a beach somewhere and/or traveling around :)

https://thaievisa.go.th/

On 5/20/2022 at 8:16 PM, Dezmo said:

Thanks.. 

So all this is monitored by the Passport? They must use a database since the stamps are unreadable :)

They use a database to record your entries.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:16 PM, Dezmo said:

I did find this site where I think I can get the pre-approved 60 day Visa ahead of time..,, Maybe save me a trip when in Thailand to local Immigration (as not sure if they in many cities)...and I may be on a beach somewhere and/or traveling around :)

https://thaievisa.go.th/

Firstly, to find out any requirements for a Visa, you start with your local US Thai Embassy.
https://thaiembdc.org/visas/
Then you apply online through https://thaievisa.go.th/

You can enter without a Visa (visa exempt) which grants a stay of 30 days and can be extended at local Immigration for a further 30 days, OR, you can obtain a SE Tourist Visa, which grants a stay of 60 days on entry and can be extended for a further 30 days at local Immigration.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I forgot to ask but I assume not having a return ticket is ok or does immigration (on entrance)  require to see ticket back out of the country?

(Curious what happens if you over stay...immigration may catch you on your flight home at airport and then....?)

I may just book a 1-way into Thailand from the USA or maybe from Singapore (if I go there first) but rather book a ticket home later as I don't know how long I may stay in Thailand.  I may do a weekend trip to Vietnam that I assume would restart my 30 days in Thailand when I go back. 

Thx.

Edited by Dezmo

• 2 weeks later...

thanks.... Looks like I may hop to Manila first, then to Thailand (each 1 way) but book a ticket for a few weeks to (RT) Vietnam, so that should suffice all parties :)

20 hours ago, Dezmo said:

thanks.... Looks like I may hop to Manila first, then to Thailand (each 1 way) but book a ticket for a few weeks to (RT) Vietnam, so that should suffice all parties :)

Ah but if  go to Vietnam for a weekend when I go back to Thailand they will want to see anther ticket back out of country... so guess I need to book something home (or somewhere) by then too... :) 

I wonder how all those backpackers work it out (if they use 1-way tickets).... :)

22 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

I wonder how all those backpackers work it out (if they use 1-way tickets).... :)

I guess they get a visa or are informed & intelligent enough to work it out.

1 hour ago, Dezmo said:

They purchase a cheap onward ticket out locally, or book return within 30 days, then change the return date after entering Thailand. Many airlines have been offering changes for free for the last couple of years.