What will be the next Natural Disaster to disrupt our World?

KaptainRob

Earthquake, Eruption, Flood or Drought - climate change is already exacerbating the latter....

Look at Australia's floods, again, this week > https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/13/weather-tracker-deadly-floods-week-torrential-rain-australia

Drought is causing extreme hardship in many countries, wiping out livestock and crops at a time when the World is short of essential grains > https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/05/1118142

Mother Nature seldom unleashes major disasters such as super-volcanic eruptions although we've had one this year and it could be that the World (below our feet) is becoming restless, ready to blow of more steam.  Yellowstone and Tambora were 2 super-volcanic eruptions, the latter, Tambora, Indonesia, erupted in 1815 killing 70,000 and caused a World-wide year-long winter.  Imagine what that did for farm production.

Tambora4.jpg

The following article from SciTechDaily is an interesting study of the eruptive power of the Tongan volcano.

Massive Hunga Volcano Eruption Created an Atmospheric Pulse That Caused an Unusual Tsunami-Like Disturbance

The gigantic January 15, 2022, eruption of the Hunga submarine volcano in the South Pacific Ocean devastated the island nation of Tonga and created a variety of atmospheric wave types, including booms heard 6,200 miles (10,000 km) away in Alaska. It also created an atmospheric pulse that caused an unusual tsunami-like disturbance that arrived at Pacific shores sooner than the actual tsunami.

Those are among the many observations reported by a team of 76 scientists from 17 nations that researched the eruption’s atmospheric waves, the largest known from a volcano since the 1883 Krakatoa eruption. The team’s work, compiled in an unusually short amount of time due to significant scientific interest in the eruption, was published on May 12, 2022, in the journal Science.

David Fee, director of the Wilson Alaska Technical Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute, is a leading author of the research paper and among four of the center’s scientists involved in the research.  

>Story continues here click<

ngcb1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

A bigger and better COVID, its not over yet says Bill Gates , I tend to believe that. 

Did Mother Nature create covid?  It was certainly a major disaster but in lieu of scientific evidence of the origins I'd suggest not a 'natural' disaster.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Did Mother Nature create covid?  It was certainly a major disaster but in lieu of scientific evidence of the origins I'd suggest not a 'natural' disaster.  

Tell that to the virus. The virus may have been manipulated by man, but its apparently been around in one mutation or another for centuries and would certainly qualify as a natural (nature) disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Tell that to the virus. The virus may have been manipulated by man, but its apparently been around in one mutation or another for centuries and would certainly qualify as a natural (nature) disaster. 

OK,  covid's in, but let's not dwell on diseases, ..... or BK closing 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

OK,  covid's in, but let's not dwell on diseases, ..... or BK closing 🙄

We have all got to die of something? It's quite an adventure wondering what that will be. 

Define "natural disaster to disrupt our world". 

I reckon it's intended to mean "natural disaster to globally disrupt human's societies", in which case the likeliest disaster by far is the same as has been in the last couple of millennia, i.e. "humans" (who are quite natural to this world, so whatever they inflict is natural). 

My short-term (1-5 generations) prediction is: a diminishing availability of exploitable energy sources and a reduction of livable areas, accompanied by some nasty wars aimed at gaining ownership of those resources.

Edited by Chatogaster
grammar

10 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Define "natural disaster to disrupt our world". 

I reckon it's intended to mean "natural disaster to globally disrupt human's societies", in which case the likeliest disaster by far is the same as has been in the last couple of millennia, i.e. "humans" (who are quite natural to this world, so whatever they inflict is natural). 

My short-term (1-5 generations) prediction is: a diminishing availability of exploitable energy sources and a reduction of livable areas, accompanied by some nasty wars aimed at gaining ownership of those resources.

Yes.  Humanity is this beautiful world's most vicious and destructive 'virus' known. 

• Like 1

On a personal level Celtic winning the SPL will be a disaster.

As for natural disasters I think the droughts we are now seeing in various regions (east Africa, parts of Australia) are going to become a real burden.

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

On a personal level Celtic winning the SPL will be a disaster.

I think we can chalk that one up as a man-made disaster RS.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Earthquakes are a constant threat here, although I rarely give it much thought.

The experts are so certain that a mega quake will hit the area where I live in the next 30 years that they’ve already named it in advance.

https://www.nippon.com/en/news/fnn20190524001/amp/#

NZ's south island is also due for a big one and north island's Mt Ruapehu is showing signs of activity.  It's known as The Shaky Isles for good reason.

17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

As for natural disasters I think the droughts we are now seeing in various regions (east Africa, parts of Australia) are going to become a real burden.

You'd think people would be deserting flood-prone areas after 2 major events within 6 months.  I expect most are calling on Government to dig large drainage canals and dykes to protect their towns but it's not an easy solution.

Same applies to Bangkok with future flooding and sea-level rise yet all they do is put in pipes and pumps to mitigate surface flooding.  They really need to be planning Dutch-style sea barriers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

You'd think people would be deserting flood-prone areas after 2 major events within 6 months.  I expect most are calling on Government to dig large drainage canals and dykes to protect their towns but it's not an easy solution.

Speaking of dykes and drainage canals…

The Sidoarjo Mud Volcano is still erupting 16 years on and has grown from a local problem to a regional one. When will the mud stop? One of the solutions mooted by the Indonesian government is to built the world’s largest drainage canal. 

https://www.thetravel.com/muddy-mess-see-the-destruction-of-the-sidoarjo-mud-volcano/amp/

7 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Speaking of dykes and drainage canals…

The Sidoarjo Mud Volcano is still erupting 16 years on and has grown from a local problem to a regional one. When will the mud stop? One of the solutions mooted by the Indonesian government is to built the world’s largest drainage canal. 

https://www.thetravel.com/muddy-mess-see-the-destruction-of-the-sidoarjo-mud-volcano/amp/

I'd never heard of this before.  Some villages buried in >40m of mud! 🥴

... in this pic only upper stories are semi-exposed >

image.png.cbe9938bd73d7788b09f32d3cb7621ad.png

3 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I'd never heard of this before.  Some villages buried in >40m of mud! 🥴

... in this pic only upper stories are semi-exposed >

image.png.cbe9938bd73d7788b09f32d3cb7621ad.png

The new volcano has various names, some with loaded connotations. 

“Sidoarjo Mud Flow” refers to the geographical area. Using this name implies a natural (not man-made) disaster.

”Lusi” is a blend of “Lumpur” (mud) and “Sidoarjo” (the area). 

Finally, “Lapindo Mud Flow” refers to the company whose dodgy drilling many hold responsible for the disaster.  The pic above falls into that category.

Dykes built, roads redirected, railways under threat. And it’s only getting bigger by the day while they decide what to do.

Monkey Pox has resurfaced in Europe and the first case in decades was found in the States this week. Someone up there is avin a laugh!

On 5/21/2022 at 11:20 PM, Cabra said:

The earth will be struck by a large space rock devastating a large Metro area

SpaceX will safe us

Whatever it is, governments will use it as an excuse to intrude into more aspects of our lives than they already do. 

On 5/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Benroon said:

Monkey Pox has resurfaced in Europe and the first case in decades was found in the States this week. Someone up there is avin a laugh!

Quite an interesting one that, in some ways. It largely disappeared as a result of smallpox vaccination, but has been making a comeback in the last two decades now that smallpox is a thing of the past and people are no longer vaccinated against it. It's reservoir hosts (they carry it but are immune to it, in the same way that some species of bats are the reservoir hosts for some corona viruses) are small rodents found in West and Central Africa. 

Second contribution: a large volcanic eruption that will blot out the sun for 18+ months, leading to widespread crop failure and famine

I think man made war and politics and religion has wiped out more innocent lives than all natural disasters combined, I am less worried about"climate change" in these days than I was as a 10 year old with the "next ice age" narrative that was being thrown around back then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a few posts in here about volcanoes. When it comes to volcanic activity there are a lot of candidates but most of them are not world shaking, however here are a few for your consideration. Mt Vesuvius in Italy is overdue for a major eruption. How does a pyroclastic flow destroying the entire city of Naples and the other cities surrounding Vesuvius grab you. Something bigger perhaps? How about Yellowstone? A Caldera type volcano that would cover almost the entire United States in ash and cause the sun to be blocked out around the world for many months and possibly longer its capable of a mass extinction event. Here's a third you probably have never heard about. The mountain volcano in the Philippines known as Taal is not a volcano it's a volcanic vent. If you like zoom in on it on google maps then zoom out you'll notice it's an island in a very big lake. Lake Taal is a crater it's the mouth of the Taal caldera volcano if that one blows it is a guaranteed extinction level event it would be such an explosive event that not only would it block out the sun globally but the dust and debris ejected would be put into orbit so the winter event caused would last for years causing the oceans to freeze and almost all life on he planet to come to an end. There's some dark thoughts for you. I'm not predicting any of these things but the question was asked and all three of these volcanoes are technically due for eruptions about now give or take five thousand years. 

• Like 1

Caption this one... lol. 

Move over Monkey Pox, we've got Cat b(p)ox! 🤣😂🤣🤪

Cat-to-human Covid link found in Thailand suspected "case" detected in Songkhla was first of its kind but researchers say risk is low.

They should now also test for all of the other viruses and bacteria and parasites that are also at a low risk to humans (sarcasm)... we could create a few more pandemics for the those invested in the mayhem eh? Testing, Testing, Testing, More testing is required, how will we know how bad it really is? Lol. This reporting screams of a disingenuous campaign to continue to scare the public. It says right in the article it is of low risk. So why report on this? 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2324233