News Forum - Tourism operators not getting their hopes up, still wary of government U-turns

Thaiger

Despite a further easing of entry restrictions at the start of the month, with the lifting of PCR testing on arrival, Thailand’s tourism sector is not getting its hopes up. According to a Bangkok Post report, tourism operators are concerned about several factors that have left them uncertain about any potential recovery. Chief among these is the risk of new variants and how the government might respond to that. Businesses say they want a clear plan from the government, to ensure the mistakes of the past 2 years are not repeated. A sea of policy changes and U-turns left tourism […]

The story Tourism operators not getting their hopes up, still wary of government U-turns as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

First there is the undisputable fact that Thailand is off the radar of many westerners. Secondly there is the issue of continued mask wearing outdoors as well as indoors along with the ongoing closure of nightlife venues. And finally there are the simple economics of reopening with restrictions on capacity that make it impossible to earn enough income to cover staffing costs, operating costs and the additional costs associated with the pandemic regulations.  No tourist will enjoy what Thailand was reputed to provide in terms of hospitality. No one wants to holiday in a graveyard such as Chiang Mai. So any tourism operator who is optimistic is simply living in a fool's paradise.

• Like 7

Just tried to register for "Thailand Pass" for land crossing. But the system still ask for "hotel booking" If not cannot proceed. So dropped the idea of applying for "Thailand Pass" and traveling to Thailand for now, until everything is scrapped.....

• Like 3

It is not a matter of 'if' a new variant will appear, but 'when'. And Thai government has already shown what they will do: stop all dirty tourists from entering immediately. After that, introduce weird entry schemes. Stopping tourists from entering will not stop the virus from entering. Just look at China. Introducing weird entry schemes will stop tourists from entering. Just look at Thailand during the last 6 months.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Janneman said:

It is not a matter of 'if' a new variant will appear, but 'when'. And Thai government has already shown what they will do: stop all dirty tourists from entering immediately. After that, introduce weird entry schemes. Stopping tourists from entering will not stop the virus from entering. Just look at China. Introducing weird entry schemes will stop tourists from entering. Just look at Thailand during the last 6 months.

You'll still have to do what they want you to do if you want to come to Thailand. Live with it or dont come. Simple. 😃

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

You'll still have to do what they want you to do if you want to come to Thailand. Live with it or dont come. Simple. 😃

True, that is why I bought a ticket to the Azores. And from there to Cape Verde. Back to Azores, and it seems they have a direct flight to Bermuda from there. All nice exotic islands. And no entry schemes, facemasks etcetera.

But the point is not where I want to go, it is about reviving Thai tourism. I can visit Thailand next year, or the year after. But for the Thai tourism sector it might be better if they open up completely as soon as possible. Without any measures. No testing, no insurance, no facemasks. The high season starts in november? European tourist are making plans for their winter holidays now. And right now most will still skip Thailand.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Janneman said:

True, that is why I bought a ticket to the Azores. And from there to Cape Verde. Back to Azores, and it seems they have a direct flight to Bermuda from there. All nice exotic islands. And no entry schemes, facemasks etcetera.

But the point is not where I want to go, it is about reviving Thai tourism. I can visit Thailand next year, or the year after. But for the Thai tourism sector it might be better if they open up completely as soon as possible. Without any measures. No testing, no insurance, no facemasks. The high season starts in november? European tourist are making plans for their winter holidays now. And right now most will still skip Thailand.

Fair enough. Thailand will still be here. 😃

15 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Fair enough. Thailand will still be here. 😃

And the tourism industry and the life’s it supports will still be wrecked. That’s the point. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

And the tourism industry and the life’s it supports will still be wrecked. That’s the point. 

Completely agree, so many people have now found  new destinations to visit, so Thailand will not be on the cards for many years to come, just my observations from losing all regular visitors, maybe time for us to make a change too I think.

51 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Completely agree, so many people have now found  new destinations to visit, so Thailand will not be on the cards for many years to come, just my observations from losing all regular visitors, maybe time for us to make a change too I think.

I’ve been coming to Thailand for 25 years or more. In that time there have been many changes, all of which have driven the traditional markets away. In recent years, the Chinese market has given the Thai tourist industry a false sense of success in my opinion. The relaxed way of living is still there compared to many places, but it continues to loose its customer service levels and an increasing sense of being prayed upon. 

Most Thais remain welcoming and polite, but the push to build shopping malls and remove old restaurants, street food  and bars and replace them with standardised features is loosing its appeal. In recent years price increases and the strength of the baht has also damaged its reputation as a value for money destination. Now, with increasing air fares and the aftermath on economies due to Covid, means the future of tourism is under threat. 

Tourism will always play a major role in the economy and it will always be successful due to the weather and tropical beaches, but it isn’t the Thailand I fell in love with all those years ago. 

• Like 5

On 5/9/2022 at 2:15 PM, Janneman said:

When will Thailand learn - there is no connection between tourism and Covid. 

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’ve been coming to Thailand for 25 years or more. In that time there have been many changes, all of which have driven the traditional markets away. In recent years, the Chinese market has given the Thai tourist industry a false sense of success in my opinion. The relaxed way of living is still there compared to many places, but it continues to loose its customer service levels and an increasing sense of being prayed upon. 

Most Thais remain welcoming and polite, but the push to build shopping malls and remove old restaurants, street food  and bars and replace them with standardised features is loosing its appeal. In recent years price increases and the strength of the baht has also damaged its reputation as a value for money destination. Now, with increasing air fares and the aftermath on economies due to Covid, means the future of tourism is under threat. 

Tourism will always play a major role in the economy and it will always be successful due to the weather and tropical beaches, but it isn’t the Thailand I fell in love with all those years ago. 

Thailand learned about market segmentation and diversification in one quick painful lesson, relying on the Chinese market. You mentioned shopping malls, many of them in certain areas of Bangkok (Ratchada and Ladphrao for example) are a shadow of their former selves. North Pattaya is practically decimated.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, Rebel said:

And with good reason as the government flip/flop constantly.

Thais know their government well

• Like 1

But but but the pent up demand? 😀 Inflation and interest rates are on the rise after an enforced Covid vacation on sick pay. The world needs to get back to work and put some money in the bank for a change. If Thailand reaches half of their 2019 tourism figures I will be surprised. 

18 hours ago, Soidog said:

Of course the tourist vendors are weary. The entry requirements roller coaster ride over just the last one year has been daunting to manage for even the ardent traveler, let alone the average tourist. Thailand has shown their poker face... they want to court the 1% of the planets "well heeled" tourists... I suppose I can't blame them I would too. However what also becomes clear is the rest of the 99%, who don't fly in on their private jets, those tourists will have to drudge through the ever shifting Pandemic paradigm shift the world finds itself in... and until Thailand can get a solid grip and stop vacillating with its entry requirements... the bulk of that 99% aren't going to come. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 3:06 AM, Soidog said:

And one more sad observation: the percentage of slim and sexy girls in Pattaya has visibly decreased.

I am not trying to be picky but what a heck guys, why so many girls are so plump?! Is it a result of eating cheap unhealthy food during COVID?

Service level is definitely declining...

4 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

And one more sad observation: the percentage of slim and sexy girls in Pattaya has visibly decreased.

I am not trying to be picky but what a heck guys, why so many girls are so plump?! Is it a result of eating cheap unhealthy food during COVID?

Totally agree. I was there a few weeks ago and average age was 40 and plump. If that’s what you enjoy then happy times 👍🏻👍🏻

9 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

I think all the good ones are still at home on the farm in Isaan. The service level issue is because of the girl shortage, now the bars are paying them decent retainers. There is not much incentive to "make farang happy". I've even heard that many are no longer barfinable as they are quite happy with their retainer and lady drink commissions.

Edited by Wozzlegummich

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Totally agree. I was there a few weeks ago and average age was 40 and plump. If that’s what you enjoy then happy times 👍🏻👍🏻

Noticed a few of the younger ones boarding the Mini  van bus with their bags these past few days so maybe they are starting to filter back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Noticed a few of the younger ones boarding the Mini  van bus with their bags these past few days so maybe they are starting to filter back.

You must live at the source of the river of beauties 😉

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

You must live at the source of the river of beauties 😉

Very surprising the number of beauties hidden in these villages, also surprised just how many old bar girls who live out this way.  The longer I stay here the more I meet who speak reasonable english, particularly when on my own.

• Like 1