CCSA: Bars to stay closed for now, drunk customers risk the spread of Covid-19

Thaiger

It might be a while until bars and nightclubs reopen in Thailand. In today’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration daily briefing, fingers pointed at customers who are far less likely to follow disease control practices when they are under the influence of alcohol. The latest and most severe wave of Covid-19, infecting more than 190,000 people since April 1, started in clusters at Bangkok’s Thong Lor and Ekkamai nightlife venues. Bars and nightclubs were the first venues ordered to close as the virus rapidly spread. While CCSA spokesperson Aphisamai Srirangsan expressed sympathy for those in the nightlife industry after weeks […]

The post CCSA: Bars to stay closed for now, drunk customers risk the spread of Covid-19 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The long established ones are open and providing a terrific service. The sex dens have shut up shop. Are you saying that most of these fly-by-night gangster joints have been forced to close? Most of these were run my mafia types with unqualified ladies. Why is the industry worried about these?

All this negative reporting is causing the local expats to stay away and sulk at home, thus robbing these poor therapists of valuable daily fees and tips. Time to get a grip on reality The Thaiger. How many of your reporters have actually been to these parlours recently?

The service is spectacular and hygienic. These ladies (and men and other) are not helped by your unprofessional reporting. 

And I'm a Thaiger fan.

Go back to basics and learn the lesson of factual reporting and not becoming reliant on sensationalist thoughts.

Shame on you!!!

You attack the hands that feed the profession.

You headline is a laugh. 80 percent? Your story says 66.666666 percent have closed. Most of these were sex shops.

Sure these reputable parlour are affected by "walk-in" passers-by  customers. But, hey, the restaurants are open and there are plenty of customers.

The drunks, as you so politely refer to as alcohol-affected patrons are the regular spenders. Tourists to this place will sit on a beer all night and wine about how expensive it is!

Andy

I am waiting for the govt to attack the songtaeews with 20+ customers few [non-social distancing] sqr meters they have to share. Because why not put them out of a earning an income, as well?

Another thing I am waiting for, is them closing the "beer-in-coffee-cups bars", all over Bkk, although as long as the rich  [officers and police?] owners follows the cash-sharing rules with their "understanding" friends [with more stripes on their uniforms] I am sure they will be left alone and the police will simply choose to travel on different soi's 

Evidently you can't get drunk on the alcohol served at restaurants or purchased at a grocery store.  Do they honestly think tourists will flock here despite no nightclubs or bars?  The better move would be to require full vaccination in order to enter the country, along with a negative rapid test upon arrival.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, thaicm said:

Do they honestly think tourists will flock here despite no nightclubs or bars? 

Fair question, for sure!

Hello, thaicm and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

The banning of Alcohol is such a typical Thai measure. Treating people like children. They seem to think anyone who drinks is going to ignore all rules and all laws and cant have the responsibility to behave legally. On top of this we now have details of the testing regime each tourist has to comply with in Phuket Sandbox rules.  Tests on arrival on day 3 , 5, 8 and 12.  most of them PCR tests and expensive and then another on departure ? The cost each person will it seems be around 20,000bhts. Unbeleivable and quite uneccessary. People wil be spending hours  every few days geting tested.  These details are not being reported as well as they should be. I have booked for a few weeks at the end of July but now I am having second thoughts. Luckily Qatar  will transfer my flight and my Hotel is   able to be cancelled free just before i am supposed to arrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaicm said:

Evidently you can't get drunk on the alcohol served at restaurants or purchased at a grocery store.  Do they honestly think tourists will flock here despite no nightclubs or bars?  The better move would be to require full vaccination in order to enter the country, along with a negative rapid test upon arrival.

Its NOT just on arrival its on arrival on day 3 ,5 , 8and 12 I understand all at cost most PCR. Very very expensive. 

47 minutes ago, Peter45 said:

The banning of Alcohol is such a typical Thai measure. Treating people like children. They seem to think anyone who drinks is going to ignore all rules and all laws and cant have the responsibility to behave legally.

Excellent debut post, Peter45, which asks a question or two.

Re the quoted 'treated like children' comment, yes, it is Thai-typical but I would argue that the alco-ban may well be necessary in Thai cities, not because the people are inherently rule-breakers, but because there is hardly any police presence, either on the streets or the roads, to enforce the people's good behaviour.

In most countries, the risk of being stopped in the street for being drunk and disorderly or stopped on the road for erratic driving is more than enough to keep the vast majority of people well-behaved. If good behaviour could be encouraged here, so could reducing the Covid-spreading risk. Give Thailand a working police force and these authoritarian alco-bans at top govt level wouldn't be necessary. But that's just me, jumping on my 'poor policing' bandwagon again.

Hello, Peter45 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton