News Forum - Thailand ranked one of 10 safest travel destinations

Thaiger

Thailand slid into 8th place in a survey of 1,500 Americans on the world’s safest travel destinations. Canada snagged the winning spot at 1st place, followed by Iceland, Sweden, Japan, Ireland, Switzerland, South Korea, Thailand, New Zealand and Australia. The survey is by travel insurance provider Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection, as part of its 2022 State of Travel Insurance Report. As Thailand prepares to ease several entry restrictions on Thailand Pass today, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has welcomed the ranking, according to a deputy government spokeswoman. The spokeswoman said the PM sees the ranking as helpful in the wake of the […]

The story Thailand ranked one of 10 safest travel destinations as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

NO. Canada cannot possibly be safer than Iceland or Switzerland.

Sweden at No. 2 is just ridiculous. simply cannot be considered safe at all with 20% Muslim population. Try just walking in their areas as a western female without head & body covered, I dare you.

Now yes Thailand IS Extremely Safe  ( IF you don’t use the roads or wear Rolex type watches or misbehave in public). SAFE my no.1 factor here.

My personal reasons for staying here are in order SAFE WARM CHEAP TROPICAL SIMPLE FRIENDLY FLEXIBLE FAMILY BEACH. NOT here for Culture / Food/ Govt/ Politics/ People. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nivram said:

A sample of 1,500 Americans?

What about a larger sample that includes the rest of the world.

Sample size & nationality is fine but the results are majorly flawed & misleading.

Ok..ok...ok...I can understand the survey methodology. It is like feeling texture and softness of one rice in a pot of rice to decided if the pot of rice is fully cooked. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Sweden at No. 2 is just ridiculous. simply cannot be considered safe at all with 20% Muslim population. Try just walking in their areas as a western female without head & body covered, I dare you.

Being from the country with the highest muslim population in Europe (France) and knowing that fact, your 20% could simply not be real. Indeed: it is actually 8.1% (https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/muslim-population-by-country). I guess you exagerated that number to make a point and everyone can clearly see which one.

As for that survey, it has absolutely no meaning whatsoever apart from the only purpose of doing it, giving some publicity to Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Manu said:

Being from the country with the highest muslim population in Europe (France) and knowing that fact, your 20% could simply not be real. Indeed: it is actually 8.1% (https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/muslim-population-by-country). I guess you exagerated that number to make a point and everyone can clearly see which one.

As for that survey, it has absolutely no meaning whatsoever apart from the only purpose of doing it, giving some publicity to Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection.

Yes, I mixed the 20% Muslims born in Sweden with total Muslim pop. apologies. 

2 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Yes, I mixed the 20% Muslims born in Sweden with total Muslim pop. apologies. 

Sorry but the source I posted gives the entire muslim population of each country (what else? What would be the point of else?). 8.1% means everyone muslim in Sweden, wether they are born in Sweden or not. That means 91.9% of the entire population in Sweden born or not there are not muslim and 8.1% are.

• Like 1

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, found a survey that floats his boat.

Generally Thailand gets good PR in the US, because it is a niche market. Americans visit Thailand. They do not visit in large numbers and likely never will given the distance and resulting jet lag. They do not have the vacation time for it. BTW, Thai food is very popular in the US, and has been since the 80's.

Toss them a survey and they slap Thailand in the top ten safest places ( you wonder how many options they were given). Do a survey in the UK, Germany or Australia, and Thailand will end up in the top ten most dangerous holiday destinations.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manu said:

Sorry but the source I posted gives the entire muslim population of each country (what else? What would be the point of else?). 8.1% means everyone muslim in Sweden, wether they are born in Sweden or not. That means 91.9% of the entire population in Sweden born or not there are not muslim and 8.1% are.

Right so OF the 8% , 20% of those were born in Sweden. Outbreeding the natives as usual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mudshark said:

Generally Thailand gets good PR in the US, because it is a niche market. Americans visit Thailand. They do not visit in large numbers and likely never will given the distance and resulting jet lag. They do not have the vacation time for it. BTW, Thai food is very popular in the US, and has been since the 80's.

Toss them a survey and they slap Thailand in the top ten safest places ( you wonder how many options they were given). Do a survey in the UK, Germany or Australia, and Thailand will end up in the top ten most dangerous holiday destinations.

Get Real. WHOLE of Africa, Latin America, India & Muslim Asia WAY more Dangerous for Westerners than Thailand. 

• Haha 1

Someone just got robbed in broad daylight at Costco parking lot here in the US. So I d say Bangkok is safe in general. But still requires caution, as one should anywhere. I stay only in Thong Lor, goes everywhere by grab. Return straight home from dinner. Activities almost all between Chit Lom and Ekkamai. Watch out for anyone near me. I might be too cautious, but it can’t hurt. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dr.Sivada said:

Someone just got robbed in broad daylight at Costco parking lot here in the US.

Must be rich to have money left after going to Costco, didn't go with my wife then, beginning to think she has shares in the place.

• Haha 3

The Philippines is the only country in South East Asia that I don't feel safe - take a ride in a jeepney there and they are practically queuing up for the opportunity to pick your pocket. Crime wise, subject to the same cautiousness as just about anywhere else (don't go round flaunting it, be very careful in crowded places) Thailand seems to be fairly safe. Safety wise the roads are the main menace, too many apparently homicidal or suicidal maniacs - drunk, sober, locals, and foreigners - riding around on motorcycles.

Edited by Grumpish
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Mudshark said:

I doubt that. As an Australian I can say that most Australians see Thailand as a safe destination and generally more advanced than most other countries in Asia. They would certainly rank Thailand we above the United States in the safety department. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

The Philippines is the only country in South East Asia that I don't feel safe - take a ride in a jeepney there and they are practically queuing up for the opportunity to pick your pocket. Crime wise, subject to the same cautiousness as just about anywhere else (don't go round flaunting it, be very careful in crowded places) Thailand seems to be fairly safe. Safety wise the roads are the main menace, too many apparently homicidal or suicidal maniacs - drunk, sober, locals, and foreigners - riding around on motorcycles.

Making comparisons between the Philippines and most other countries in South East Asia is a little unfair. The Philippines is still a developing nation that is better compared to Central America where it compares quite favourably. If you must compare it to its neighbours then compare it to Indonesia. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

For Asians I don't think Australia is so safe unless it cleaned itself up.

That sounds exactly like the sort of thing the tabloid press in India would publish. It's laughable considering that India would probably go close to rating in the top 10 places in the world for you to be a victim of crime. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yeah, you're not a bigot. Sad to see comments like these.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Right so OF the 8% , 20% of those were born in Sweden. Outbreeding the natives as usual. 

Yeah so now using the right %, the point you try to put across is very clear to everyone as if it was not already. At least the factual numbers are right (well I guess cause I will not check that other 20% number this time .. I guess at that stage it is irrelevant).

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

48 minutes ago, Saunk said:

Yeah, you're not a bigot. Sad to see comments like these.

No but I tend to dislike death- worshipping savages who, under their evil laws, murder gays, “ blasphemers” & “ unbelievers”. And enslave women .

Sad indeed that non- Muslims defend this evil cult. Why do it ? Why defend the indefensible ? And attack messengers of truth ? 

• Like 2