News Forum - Thailand’s police warn, don’t fall for ‘deepfake’ scams

Thaiger

A Thai deputy police spokesman warned people today that scammers are using so-called ‘deepfake’ technology to pretend to be police on video calls, and pressure people to transfer money to them. The spokesman pointed out that Royal Thai Police does not have a policy of making video calls to anybody involved in a criminal case, be it the defendant, suspect or complainant. The spokesman, Siriwat Deephor, demonstrated how scammers use deepfake technology. He said in most cases, scammers merge footage available online of police officers, such as footage from press conferences, with the lower part of their face. This way, […]

The story Thailand’s police warn, don’t fall for ‘deepfake’ scams as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Plenty of other scams on phones going around also.

Daily my wife says not to answer such and such a number - scammers.

Seems  if you even answer the phone they debit your account and a sum of money is credited to their account. No idea how that can happen but TIT.

One of the advantages of being a farlung you have fewer known numbers in your phone and my personal policy is not to answer any number that fails to connect to my known phone numbers.