News Forum - Truck drivers rally in Bangkok against spiking diesel price

Thaiger

Now that Thailand has announced the upcoming end of its diesel price cap, Bangkok truckers have rallied today to demand the price cap continue. Currently, the price cap is 30 baht per litre. But On Tuesday, Thailand’s Energy Minister said the retail price is now at 40 baht per litre. The government is preparing to lower the subsidy that has enabled the price cap, and the minister said they would try to raise the price slowly, starting on May 1. Today, the truckers rallied in front of Government House to insist the government keep the 30 baht per litre cap. […]

The story Truck drivers rally in Bangkok against spiking diesel price as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Currently, the price cap is 30 baht per litre. But On Tuesday, Thailand’s Energy Minister said the retail price is now at 40 baht per litre. 

Someone explain this to me please. Diesel is Bht 30.37 per litre for the past 2 or 3 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Someone explain this to me please. Diesel is Bht 30.37 per litre for the past 2 or 3 weeks. 

The actual price of diesel or the price it's supposed to be sold is 40 baht per liter but due to the price cap that's been implemented since early of this year it is selling at 30 baht per liter. Actually more like 29.99 baht per liter in Bangkok. 

Since your price is slightly more than the Bkk price I assume you are from outside of Bkk?

• Like 1

Take the hint and fill up before the price hike. I'd fill up 2 days before some Servos may shut the day before to capitalise on the increase.  Be careful with storage of filled containers though.

Why? Because next month it may be 50 baht a litre.

Sadly when there are rapid price hikes someone loses and you can bet it isn't the big companys.

Have been using a local small outlet for fuel and have seen a marked decrease in my purchase power over the past month. Went to a major company and was surprised at how much more fuel I got for the same money.  Only visual but I have had this pickup for years and can nearly tell to the baht how much fills it from a certain level.

???? They may dick around with the meters on the pumps too and have never heard of a Thai version of weights and measures verification agency or maybe just a faulty pump. TIT 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

???? They may dick around with the meters on the pumps too and have never heard of a Thai version of weights and measures verification agency or maybe just a faulty pump. TIT 😀

There should be, from the ones I filled up at there are these stickers for each individual dispenser showing the calibration/verification with their due dates. Check it out next time when you fill up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

There should be, from the ones I filled up at there are these stickers for each individual dispenser showing the calibration/verification with their due dates. Check it out next time when you fill up.

Will check tomorrow and get back on this one.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:35 PM, palooka said:

Will check tomorrow and get back on this one.

I filled up yesterday in anticipation of the price hike today and took this. I believe this is the calibration sticker that I mentioned earlier with the Garuda symbol:

20220428_184810.thumb.jpg.c67ef30151a22699bc0b00c375284c33.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noble_Design said:

I filled up yesterday in anticipation of the price hike today and took this. I believe this is the calibration sticker that I mentioned earlier with the Garuda symbol:

20220428_184810.thumb.jpg.c67ef30151a22699bc0b00c375284c33.jpg

Checked today, nope no stickers or any sign of seals etc. It is a sole operator Station.

The Pump Station structure seems to be only a few years old. 

Pumps look to be older type units and a bit battle weary so maybe second hand.

Out in the Provinces so maybe a "little" different out here.

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Checked today, nope no stickers or any sign of seals etc. It is a sole operator Station.

The Pump Station structure seems to be only a few years old. 

Pumps look to be older type units and a bit battle weary so maybe second hand.

Out in the Provinces so maybe a "little" different out here.

I see.... I believe that could be the case. I have been outside of Bkk in a long time although seriously I wish to be out of the city.

18 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I see.... I believe that could be the case. I have been outside of Bkk in a long time although seriously I wish to be out of the city.

A heck of a lot cheaper to live, but that can be relevant to the style (big mansion) and location (must have sea views) of how you want to live.