News Forum - Tourism to Thailand is increasing, but still has nothing on pre-pandemic levels

Thaiger

As entry restrictions into Thailand continue to ease, tourists are trickling back into the kingdom. Numbers of foreign arrivals are high compared to last year, but numbers are still miniscule when compared with pre-pandemic levels. Tourism is expected to increase further from May 1, when tourists will no longer have to undergo an on-arrival PCR test and unvaccinated tourists will be allowed to enter Thailand without quarantine. Thailand welcomed 40 million tourists in 2019 before the Covid-19 pandemic brought international travel to a standstill. In the first quarter of 2022, a total of 444,039 foreign tourists entered Thailand, according to […]

The story Tourism to Thailand is increasing, but still has nothing on pre-pandemic levels as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Nothing is going to change as long as they hang to their "Thailand Pass" and open their borders freely to visitors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

There is no way Thailand can ever return to pre-pandemic levels without the Chinese. Nuff said.

People like me who have been watching the situation since September last year will still not come as I don't fancy spending the next nine months wandering around in the Thai heat having to wear a mask, that is not much fun.

I and many millions of others are probably thinking the same thing, we live in a country where there are no restrictions or controls at all so why go to a country with restrictions and controls, plus it is summer soon so yet another reason not to go yet. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

People like me who have been watching the situation since September last year will still not come as I don't fancy spending the next nine months wandering around in the Thai heat having to wear a mask, that is not much fun.

I and many millions of others are probably thinking the same thing, we live in a country where there are no restrictions or controls at all so why go to a country with restrictions and controls, plus it is summer soon so yet another reason not to go yet. 

You are right and after the hot season comes the raining season which is also not an enjoyable time to wear a mask as the humidity will be very high and you will feel like constantly breathing in very moist warm air.

Not to mention a sudden downpour which would get your mask wet and rendering them useless.

5 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Not to mention a sudden downpour which would get your mask wet and rendering them useless.

Because they are so useful when not wet.😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

I don't fancy spending the next nine months wandering around in the Thai heat having to wear a mask, that is not much fun.

Spot on there. Some people on this forum are getting overly excited because things aren’t as bad as the use to be. But let’s not forget the following:

You still need Covid insurance.

You still need to apply for the Thailand Pass.

If you travel around to places like Phuket you are still having to show proof of vaccination. 

You still need to wear a mask in most places outside of your hotel. 

Bars and nightlife are still restricted. 

The police regularly patrol with flashing red lights and flex their power, destroying  the holiday atmosphere. 

Go somewhere else unless you really have a reason to come to Thailand. It’s simply not worth it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Spot on there. Some people on this forum are getting overly excited because things aren’t as bad as the use to be. But let’s not forget the following:

If you travel around to places like Phuket you are still having to show proof of vaccination. 

The police regularly patrol with flashing red lights and flex their power, destroying  the holiday atmosphere. 

Go somewhere else unless you really have a reason to come to Thailand. It’s simply not worth it. 

I was trying to decide whether to go to Thailand or Brixton Prison? 😄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Unless the outdoor masks go, when we fly in to BKK in Dec we'll fly straight back out to Vietnam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well by law, it is mandatory anywhere outside (even in cars), not really "most places" even if of course as we know, in practice, it does not happen like that. Holiday makers looking to book a holiday, they will only see the law and most people will quickly look away because of the mandatory mask wearing anywhere 24/7.

Let's face it, previous to Covid quasi the majority of tourists did not come between May and October, but during the high season, people from Europe, US and even Russia that is and for the obvious reason: it is summer there. I do not see why it would happen this year regardless of the current changes. However if things are getting back to normal 100% by July/August ready for the next high season, and when people are booking their holiday in Thailand, then there might be a good chance that the next high season would be a good one. If not, or if they wait the 31st October (the last minute as they keep doing), then...

1 hour ago, Manu said:

However if things are getting back to normal 100% by July/August ready for the next high season, and when people are booking their holiday in Thailand, then there might be a good chance that the next high season would be a good one. If not, or if they wait the 31st October (the last minute as they keep doing), then...

You raise a good point. Previous changes have been made very last minute and comments around the changes suggest a lack of appreciation of how people plan their winter holidays. I’m sure it varies from country to country, but what I see is people booking many months in advance. 

Anyone thinking of coming to Thailand at the moment and from 1st May should know that the wearing of face masks is mandatory and it is very hot here!!! 🥵🥵🥵

• Like 1

I haven't really worn a mask over the last 2 months or so ...

I really don't want to travel half across the globe on an expensive flight (flying has become very expensive) and having to walk around all day long having to wear this annoying mask... 

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

I haven't really worn a mask over the last 2 months or so ...

I really don't want to travel half across the globe on an expensive flight (flying has become very expensive) and having to walk around all day long having to wear this annoying mask... 

I'm with you.  If I wasn't here already I would not be returning any time soon. Not that I don't love it here, it's just that I couldn't stand a long haul flight, the terrible airports and the documentation hassle,