What Songs Really Move You Emotionally?

Pinetree

I can't say that music has an important place in my life, but some songs just stand out.  I have just listened, yet again, To Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma.  It gives me goose pimples every time and in certain moments can almost bring me to tears.  Anyone else have a deep emotional reaction to a particular  song? 

• Like 2

I wanna know what love is by Foreigner. My 2 Brothers had the heartbreak of switching off another of my Brother's life support machine after an accident. This song was played at his funeral. Makes me cry every time i hear it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hunters and Collectors - True Tears of Joy. It was something about my brothers death that the song made whole, at that time, Still makes me cry.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Hunters and Collectors - True Tears of Joy. It was something about my brothers death that the song made whole, at that time, Still makes me cry.

Yes, It's those subtle connections to a song or piece of music that grab that emotional cortex. I can readily see how this track ties to your sadness, @Thaidup, both then and now, but, just to brighten the Saturday mood, I first heard a track on BBC Radio 1 Jack Saunder's Indie Show, about 2 years ago, by an Aussie band, DMA'S, titled 'Life Is a Game of Changing'.

It caused an emotionally happy spark on its first hearing, but, after finding it on YouTube and watching the video that (Google told me) was filmed in Bangkok and Pattaya, I enjoyed it all the more, with its slowly building chorus and the video, all about Thai people's many different ways of enjoying the end of their typical day, that now brings a tear or two of joy to my eyes with each and every listen.

I can imaging the DMA'S performing the track, just as the sun is rising, after an all-night concert - Glastonbury or Reading/Leeds, maybe - and with thousands of fans all getting a similar kick of joy from that chorus.

Thanks for putting the thread up, too, @Pinetree . . . great idea!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fanta said:

“All of me” by John Legend reminds me to be grateful and not take people for granted. 

Maybe just me but 'Too Drunk To F***' by the masterful Dead Kennedys is a keeper. 😀

And of course 'Paintball's Coming Home' by Half Man Half Biscuit. We all know people like that.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Fanta said:

“All of me” by John Legend reminds me to be grateful and not take people for granted. 

Thanks, @Fanta . . . a beautiful song!

Hurt by Johnny Cash.

A song of self reflection. Realizing when you’re old that you could have been less of an a**hole when you were young. Or something like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Didn't truly appreciate this, or indeed understand it, until Eva Cassidy recorded it.

My grandmother’s favorite song (albeit the Judy Garland version). She said it was the first song she heard after it was announced WW2 had ended. Emotional song for her and hence for me as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Didn't truly appreciate this, or indeed understand it, until Eva Cassidy recorded it.

You just gave me another "great covers" post, I looked up the original, cheers👍

Listening to Winds of Change by Scorpions makes me emotional these days. 

Edited by KomanderChicknNugget
  • Like 2

For me, I prefer to remember the happy times and often moved to tears of hysterical laughter. Uncontrollable gut grabbing episodes. It is most often when I see or hear music from the 1970's. One song in particular Hot Buttered Popcorn.  

This is the type of thing we would watch when we were younger and under the influence of substances common to young university students. Today when I see again, I think back to the good times we would have laughing and pointing at these people, tears running down our faces, falling over each other coughing up beer through our noses, causing such havoc. 0.29 of the ballet dance is classic.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 9:27 PM, Vigo said:

For me, I prefer to remember the happy times and often moved to tears of hysterical laughter. Uncontrollable gut grabbing episodes. It is most often when I see or hear music from the 1970's. One song in particular Hot Buttered Popcorn.  

This is the type of thing we would watch when we were younger and under the influence of substances common to young university students. Today when I see again, I think back to the good times we would have laughing and pointing at these people, tears running down our faces, falling over each other coughing up beer through our noses, causing such havoc. 0.29 of the ballet dance is classic.

So true,,,,,,, I can remember the tunes but not the video, now days all the girls would have to have their asses and titties hanging out of a bikini to make a music video. 😢