News Forum - Thailand prepares to axe on arrival PCR test | GMT

Thaiger

Maybe better to confront the fraudulent required covid 19 insurance needed to enter Thailand. Which happens to cover flight delays lost baggage but guess what doesn't cover covid 19.

I just spent 5 days in hospital samitivej after positive test on arrival. The only thing my covid insurance covered was my paracetamol. Everything else from including medical care nursing care blood tests and X rays not covered.

150000 baht blocked on my cc and my bill for the 5 days was 76000 baht of which my AXA covid insurance covered 12000 baht.

This covid insurance is nothing more than a entry tax.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Johnmc17 said:

Maybe better to confront the fraudulent required covid 19 insurance needed to enter Thailand. Which happens to cover flight delays lost baggage but guess what doesn't cover covid 19.

I just spent 5 days in hospital samitivej after positive test on arrival. The only thing my covid insurance covered was my paracetamol. Everything else from including medical care nursing care blood tests and X rays not covered.

150000 baht blocked on my cc and my bill for the 5 days was 76000 baht of which my AXA covid insurance covered 12000 baht.

What was AXA's reason for not covering your stay?

Didn't your policy state that it covers hospital quarantine?

1 hour ago, Johnmc17 said:

This covid insurance is nothing more than a entry tax

It is collusion between government and the insurance industry.   The government reported in 2018 unpaid hospital bills by foreigners totaled 448 million baht.  In a normal year Thailand reports between 35 - 40 million tourists.  Charge each 100 baht as they enter and you collect 9 times the amount.  No one would object to 100 baht Covid protection but the hassle of getting the insurance alone plus the liklihood that it will cover nothing is reason enough for tourists to go to other countries to vacation. 

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia-Insight/Tourism-proves-hazardous-to-Thai-hospitals-financial-health#:~:text=At Tokyo's National Center for,million yen worth of treatment.

image.thumb.png.566b50af027a0f99fbe1d3594e9788d5.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

What was AXA's reason for not covering your stay?

Didn't your policy state that it covers hospital quarantine?

I haven't contacted AXA yet as I just went to Samitivej yesterday as 150,000 still blocked on my CC. They told me AXA only covering 12000 baht of my bill. 

What's interesting now is as I am just going over the policy, it does even mention covid -19 cover yet when you purchase it its sold to you as a special covid insurance.

It states all medical care and hospital stays are covered so I guess I have to go after them myself and make a claim

5 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

I haven't contacted AXA yet as I just went to Samitivej yesterday as 150,000 still blocked on my CC. They told me AXA only covering 12000 baht of my bill. 

What's interesting now is as I am just going over the policy, it does even mention covid -19 cover yet when you purchase it its sold to you as a special covid insurance.

It states all medical care and hospital stays are covered so I guess I have to go after them myself and make a claim

So I would think Samitivej is in their network, so it should have been a cashless transaction 

This is concerning and BS

Sorry that happened to you...

We didn't buy AXA, we bought FWD and my wife called and asked them a ton of questions 

But they basically have the same network 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So I would think Samitivej is in their network, so it should have been a cashless transaction 

This is concerning and BS

Sorry that happened to you...

We didn't buy AXA, we bought FWD and my wife called and asked them a ton of questions 

But they basically have the same network 

Hi Marc,

This was my 6th trip back since June last year and everytime I search for approved covid insurance all sites bring you to AXA and my wife used to work for AXA here.

Like everything here it will be a tie in with someone in government.

Will advise here after correspondence with AXA

• Like 2

It's just unbelievable that this sill hasn't been solved. Most insurances will cover medical treatment, but isolation (as a measure to prevent infecting others) does not classify as treatment according to their understanding/definition. They have been urged to cover it, but unless I see reports saying that people were refunded without problems, I don't want to take any risk. 

• Like 1

And again - simply replacing PCR tests with antigen tests won't mean any lower risk of being forced into isolation - and having to pay for it. 

John - I feel really sorry for people like you who uphold their connection with Thailand despite all these incredible issues and procedures you have to go through - and then are punished with outrageous bills. I hope for you, for me and for everyone in Thailand or with a relation to Thailand that all these rules will soon be abolished. And there is hope - Indonesia just joined the constantly growing list of Asian countries that (in most cases (fully vaccinated etc.)) do not require any on-arrival tests anymore. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

If this is right (and I have no reason to doubt your word at all) this is a shocking scam.

I do hope you get a satisfactory result from this.

7 minutes ago, DJM said:

It's just unbelievable that this sill hasn't been solved. Most insurances will cover medical treatment, but isolation (as a measure to prevent infecting others) does not classify as treatment according to their understanding/definition. They have been urged to cover it, but unless I see reports saying that people were refunded without problems, I don't want to take any risk. 

Yes in the initial coverage note when you join it states it covers all medical treatment but not if you are asymptomatic and have to be quarantined at a hospital. So pity on those customers also. It does state that it covers all medical treatment. 

Everyone in the hospital was very non committal as if they were informed or advised to act dumb. Even as I a doctor tried to get a history from the doctor looking after me would not comment.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

If this is right (and I have no reason to doubt your word at all) this is a shocking scam.

I do hope you get a satisfactory result from this.

Yes I'm not posting for my own benefit but for others, I have heard rumours of similar but non confirmed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Johnmc17 said:

Yes in the initial coverage note when you join it states it covers all medical treatment but not if you are asymptomatic and have to be quarantined at a hospital. So pity on those customers also. It does state that it covers all medical treatment. 

Everyone in the hospital was very non committal as if they were informed or advised to act dumb. Even as I a doctor tried to get a history from the doctor looking after me would not comment.

I would have fought it until police came............

And would have told them I don' have 150k on my CC

I just printed out my FWD Insurance policy to bring with me

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Was this AXA Sawasdee Thailand Insurance package?  I purchased this for 90 days. Luckily I didn’t need to use it, but I’d be interested to know if yours was the same policy. As I say, it’s was called Sawasdee Thailand. Follow this link:

https://www.axa.co.th/en/Klook-axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Hi Soidog! 

I followed the link you provided and then went to their FAQ section. They do discuss the cases of mild symptoms, which they call "green cases" in their FAQ and the way I understand it is that the medical components are covered, whilst hotel accommodation (in the case of quarantine) is not. Correct me if I am wrong, though. 

14 minutes ago, DJM said:

Hi Soidog! 

I followed the link you provided and then went to their FAQ section. They do discuss the cases of mild symptoms, which they call "green cases" in their FAQ and the way I understand it is that the medical components are covered, whilst hotel accommodation (in the case of quarantine) is not. Correct me if I am wrong, though. 

I think you need to print out the policy and bring it with you and argue as much as you can

Don't know if that helps..............but that is what I would do

21 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Was this AXA Sawasdee Thailand Insurance package?  I purchased this for 90 days. Luckily I didn’t need to use it, but I’d be interested to know if yours was the same policy. As I say, it’s was called Sawasdee Thailand. Follow this link:

https://www.axa.co.th/en/Klook-axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Hi soidog,

Yes same policy which I have bought 6 times in past year. If you read the terms and conditions closely no mention of covid 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I would have fought it until police came............

And would have told them I don' have 150k on my CC

I just printed out my FWD Insurance policy to bring with me

Yeah normally I would go down a similar route but if you had the 2 weeks I just had I just wanted out of there 

6 minutes ago, Johnmc17 said:

Yeah normally I would go down a similar route but if you had the 2 weeks I just had I just wanted out of there 

I hear you

Hope you can enjoy rest of your time in Thailand

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I hear you

Hope you can enjoy rest of your time in Thailand

Yes Marc I have lived here for 10 years so nothing surprises me. 

Actually me and my wife moving to Spain in July 

2 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Hi soidog,

Yes same policy which I have bought 6 times in past year. If you read the terms and conditions closely no mention of covid 

That’s utterly disgraceful. The whole point of the insurance we are told, is to make sure there are no unpaid bills from foreigners with Covid. It’s part of the approval for the Thailand Pass. It’s recommended by the Thai government. How can it not then cover you for Covid????😡😡😡

Hi soidog,

My Policy with FWD starts as this:

Personal Accident and Infections due to Virus COVID19 Policy

Medical Expenses (Inpatient) due to illness with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Definitions
Inpatient is People who require hospitalization or a medical hospital for at least 6
consecutive hours, which must be registered as an inpatient It has been diagnosed
and advised by a physician based on indications which are the standard of
medical. And at the appropriate time for the treatment of that injury or illness
and include cases of inpatient admission and later death 6 hours before
Room fee for
inpatient
is Inpatient room fees, patient meals, nursing service fees and hospital service fees
provided by the hospital or medical infirmary on a daily basis.

PS....I already have my own travel insurance through work that covers covid, trip interupption

But I'd prefer to use the Thai one I bought and not pay upfront..........

Actually me and my wife moving to Spain in July 

I’m considering the same plan (not with you and your wife though 😉).

I’ve always thought Thailand would be my retirement choice. However, since 2014 the whole mood music has changed, both for Thais and expats. My family have a house in Spain and I’ve visited many times. The more I compare the two countries and weigh up the pros and cons of retirement either 1,000 miles or 6,000 miles from home, along with the whole cultural gulf between Europeans and Thais, the more I lean towards Spain.   Having not that many years ago lost my wife, I’m still not ready to consider another full on relationship. Perhaps in a few more years I will and then decide where to settle down for retirement ? 

Just now, Soidog said:

I’m considering the same plan (not with you and your wife though 😉).

I’ve always thought Thailand would be my retirement choice. However, since 2014 the whole mood music has changed, both for Thais and expats. My family have a house in Spain and I’ve visited many times. The more I compare the two countries and weigh up the pros and cons of retirement either 1,000 miles or 6,000 miles from home, along with the whole cultural gulf between Europeans and Thais, the more I lean towards Spain.   Having not that many years ago lost my wife, I’m still not ready to consider another full on relationship. Perhaps in a few more years I will and then decide where to settle down for retirement ? 

If I weren't married to a Thai.........I would be looking at Latin America, closer to family, etc

And they might even be less crazy than my wife!

It's like I am married to a Puerto Rican anyways 5555

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Hi soidog,

My policy cover note (the summary I uploaded for the TP) states:

This is to certify that ………. Of passport number ………. Is covered for outpatient and inpatient medical expense from sickness and accident including any sickness caused by Covid-19 (2).

Note (2) at the bottom says:

Definition of Covid 19 follows criteria from the Ministry of Public Health Thailand and/or WHO.

That clearly states that if I’m sick and need hospital care I’m covered. The sum insured for such sickness is then shown as 1,750,000 Baht. 

I fail to see how AXA can get out of paying you. You must be covered.