News Forum - EVs take limelight at Bangkok motor show, spurred by subsidy as fuel prices surge

Thaiger

Electric vehicles took centre stage at the Bangkok International Motor Show this week, where thousands gawked at the latest fuel-efficient models that car manufacturers have to offer, as global fuel rices continue to soar due to the war in Ukraine. Attendants were intrigued by the additional perk of a 15 percent government subsidy for select EVs. The show highlights the increasing demand for EVs after a slow start in Southeast Asia. Now Thailand has become a prime target for Chinese manufactures, who hope to sell their EVs at cheaper prices. The number of registered EVs doubled last year to nearly 4,000, […]

The story EVs take limelight at Bangkok motor show, spurred by subsidy as fuel prices surge as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

24 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

They can't even make their own design. Surprised they haven't named it like People's Wagon Ladybug.

ora-punk-cat-1-1536x1025.jpg

I'm wondering if VW will sue?

15 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I'm wondering if VW will sue?

They should, it's a disgrace to copy such an iconic car. The chinese  obviously don't care about pride in what they're doing, all that matters is the easy bucks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Transam said:

MG....?    🤣

Nothing wrong with CCPMG! My wife bought the ZS. Gggreat car actually. 

They broke their own sales records in the UK last year, and they're growing fast. 

• Haha 1

Most all of the Chinese car designs resemble some stolen idea in one way or the other. Always trying to steal or take something that is not theirs. I hope VW sues their little CCP heads off.

• Like 1

Better get used to more and more Chinese cars on the road. Changan now makes the new Taurus in partnership with Ford in China for export. 

Geely makes great cars these days. Chery, GWM, Changan, they're all coming to a road near you soon. 

People always like to knock stuff made in China, and they're the very same people queuing for the latest iPhone.....errr, made in China. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Transam said:

I haven't got an iPhone, too expensive, but are you saying iPhones are assembled in China or Chinese designed and manufactured....😋

PS. I have a cheap Chinese phone that probably is a copy of something or other.  🤭

Been using Huawei for nearly 10 years. No complaints from me, whether the phone is assembled in China as the iPhone is, or designed and made in China as Huawei, Pocco, Oppo, Redmi etc all are. 

If anything, the Chinese phones are better because they're cheaper. 

The price of the latest iPhone or Samsung is daylight robbery!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Transam said:

Hmmmm, better because cheaper, we are back to the MG then......🤭

Nope. Talking about phones. Huawei make great phones, AND they're cheaper. It's a win win 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

This show used to be my wife's biggest job every year before covid hit

I did it once in 2017... good memories especially with the Pretties. Super tiring though with 2 motorshows within a few months. Luckily my boss canceled any plans for future involvement

20220331_202314.jpg.e867c433cc9152de5d2a4eb1b0e8e248.jpg

4 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Better get used to more and more Chinese cars on the road. Changan now makes the new Taurus in partnership with Ford in China for export. 

Geely makes great cars these days. Chery, GWM, Changan, they're all coming to a road near you soon. 

People always like to knock stuff made in China, and they're the very same people queuing for the latest iPhone.....errr, made in China. 

My wife was eyeing the MG EP as her first EV, used to sell for 990K baht but with the recent tax cut from the government the priced has been reduced to just 790K.... super enticing

53 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I did it once in 2017... good memories especially with the Pretties. Super tiring though with 2 motorshows within a few months. Luckily my boss canceled any plans for future involvement

My wife was eyeing the MG EP as her first EV, used to sell for 990K baht but with the recent tax cut from the government the priced has been reduced to just 790K.... super enticing

My wife built the booths for a few of the companies 

It was her biggest job of the year

I have never been but looks pretty big event

10 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

what other mg's have been reduced, still showing at ep still 990k on web

There is a lot of hype about Thailands role in the production and use of EV’s. What I’m not clear about is how much of this is aimed at export and how much at the domestic market?  If they are aiming for the domestic market increases, then they need to start a major national role out of EV charging points.

You also need to watch out for resale value with some makes. Like many things, Thais have some hard to change attitudes to cars. Although brands like MG and GWM offer some fantastic prices, four years on, the car may be worth 50% what a Honda or Toyota is worth. It’s worth plugging this in to your calculations before deciding. 

• Like 1