How to get the car's blue (owner's) book?

ACruise

Hi, not sure this is the right forum, please move to the one appropriate if needed.

This is my story: I've been living in Thailand for a while, bought a new car and kept paying for it monthly until now. That was possible because I was working at that time, and I had a working permit. Wife's relatives guaranteed for it, no issues so far. This summer we will go back to TH for a short visit, mainly because it is the end of the contract and I want to finally get the owner's book (so far so good).

Meanwhile (and now the problems start), my Thai relatives called Honda Leasing and those buys told them that - at the end of the contract, and to get the blue book - I must also present either a work permit or some residency certificate/letter from either the embassy or the Thai immigration office. Neither of these will issue me one because I will be there only for a short visit, as a tourist (ie tourist visa).

Does anyone else have such issues before? I do hope there was a misunderstanding, I can't imagine I'll have paid the car in full and they'll not give me that book. What do you guys know about it?

9 hours ago, ACruise said:

I must also present either a work permit or some residency certificate/letter from either the embassy or the Thai immigration office.

^This is correct. 

You may need to return for a longer stay and the appropriate visa so as to obtain a residency certificate.  I'm not sure if there's any way around this unless you transfer ownership to resident, your wife or in-law?  

17 hours ago, ACruise said:

I must also present either a work permit or some residency certificate/letter from either the embassy or the Thai immigration office.

You must provide a Thai registered address for the logbook.

Being registered in a Yellow Tabien Baan, residence certificate from Immigration, or an Embassy letter will be required for this purpose. Other than CW Immigration, you should be able to obtain a residence certificate from Immigration. You don't state where you'll be residing.

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering the same. I bought a used car at a dealer and financing through a bank. It's been nearly a year I don't have the blue  log book, do I get it after I finish paying off the car?

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 8:54 AM, ScottBKK said:

I'm wondering the same. I bought a used car at a dealer and financing through a bank. It's been nearly a year I don't have the blue  log book, do I get it after I finish paying off the car?

Yes, after you pay the loan out, and As long as you are a resident ie>in possession of a yellow house book or Letter of residency from Immigration, the finance company will give you the "Blue book" and papers to transfer to your name. Providing the loan was in your name., If you need more accurate information, simply contact the dealer you bought the car from.

• 1 month later...

On the same subject but with a different slant....I am paying finance on a 2022 car but being now 71, the finance is in my Thai wife's name.

I am assuming that the blue book had to also be in her name (am I correct?)

I intend to repay finance 2 years early and use my Yellow house book and her signature on a "sale agreement" to register the car in my name. 

Has anyone done this? Any problems?

Thanks