Renewing Thai Passport in the USA

Hi!

I want to contribute some information that may help others. My wife needed to renew her Thai passport before it expired here in the USA.  Before Covid-19,  we could have driven to the Thai Consulate in Houston to renew it there.  All Thai passports have to be renewed in person.   The Thai Consulate in Houston stopped providing that service,  so we needed to fly to Washington,  D.C. to make this happen. 

There were no walk-ins,  only appointments.  The appointment process is very easy at the Thai Embassy website and after we confirmed the appointment,  made our flight arrangements and hotel.

The Thai Embassy staff were very helpful,  once we got the appointment scheduled. 

I'd like to share where we stayed, because it is an amazing location and affordable and easy access to the Mall and Embassy area in Washington. 

The hotel is a "micro hotel", meaning very, very small, but, you don't need a car and can Uber to the Thai Embassy for 10 dollars. The hotel is also walking distance to the Lincoln Memorial. 

The information is:

The Hotel Hive in Washington DC.  I booked with Hotels.com, but it is available through other booking services. 

The room was small, but perfect.  The rooftop bar is great in the evening for drinks and good pizza.  

We flew into Washington National Airport and the Uber was 30 dollars.  We stay in a private Queen bedroom, midweek for less than 200 a night.

I hope this information is helpful for someone. 

Jack

https://hotelhive.com/washington-d-c/

Washington-DC-Page-scaled.jpg

513-Our-Rooms-Page.jpg

Edited by SkyDogJack
Another photo.
  • Like 1

My wife forgot about her Thai passport renewal while stuck in Australia, She only has a PR status and the passport lapst over 3 months, She went to embassy in Canberra (lucky enough to live there)and got a new one within 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Hi Thaidup,

We also got my wife's new passport in two weeks.  While the process to get the appointment and fly to DC was expensive and took time, I was amazed how fast she got her new passport mailed to her back here in Austin.  

A two week turnaround,  from her biometrics,  the original sent to Thailand and the new and old passport delivered was great.  

And my wife too is still PR. She can apply for American citizenship in 2024.  I'll be relieved after that final task is accomplished. 

Cheers!

Edited by SkyDogJack
Spelling
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SkyDogJack said:

And my wife too is still PR. She can apply for American citizenship in 2024.  I'll be relieved after that final task is accomplished. 

Good job.👍

My missus is still waiting for contact from Aus Imm about the PR stamp, She want's to come home. Cries on the phone sometimes about being stuck in Aus.

But she is a trooper, sent a pic today of her aus gov covid vacc pass.

2 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Good job.👍

My missus is still waiting for contact from Aus Imm about the PR stamp, She want's to come home. Cries on the phone sometimes about being stuck in Aus.

But she is a trooper, sent a pic today of her aus gov covid vacc pass.

Hi Thaidup,

I understand.  We got back to the USA and went into two years of lockdowns.  Nothing as bad as Australia though. It as been really hard on my wife.  The economy shut down, jobs went away and her first experience of America was trapped in a small apartment here with me.  Thank god for Facebook and Line.  She has been able to stay in touch with her family, especially her daughter everyday.  

I don't think many, except those of us who have decided to marry, and whether stay in Thailand or return home understand just how difficult this path really is.  I am lucky.  My wife is a university graduate and worked with customers from many different countries, plus worked in Myanmar for a year.  She has a small Thai family and not a large one as many Thai do.  She is also used to working away from her daughter, so I think that has eased her journey.  I do look forward to our getting to return in 2024 for a long visit.  

We have also used the time the best we could during the pandemic.  She has been taking English classes online, and now in person at the community college.  Even though she studied English in Primary and Secondary school, it was really weak.  Now days, we have more and more complicated conversations. And she is making jokes in English. Looking on all the positive things in our lives.

I am hoping she will have an opportunity to return to her career field in Marketing and management by early next year. 

So, everything feels in slow motion, especially having your lives held in limbo, waiting for immigration.  Not an easy path as I said, but when you find someone who loves you and you love, it is worth the wait and effort.

Jack

Edited by SkyDogJack
Spelling
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SkyDogJack said:

Hi Thaidup,

I understand.  We got back to the USA and went into two years of lockdowns.  Nothing as bad as Australia though. It as been really hard on my wife.  The economy such down, jobs went away and her first experience of America was trapped in a small apartment here.  Thank god for Facebook and Line.  She has been able to stay in touch with her family, especially her daughter everyday.

I don't think many, except those of us who have decided to marry, and whether stay in Thailand or return home understand just how difficult this path really is.  I am lucky.  My wife is a university graduate and worked with customers from many different countries, plus worked in Myanmar for a year.

We have used the time the best we could.  She has been taking English classes online, and now in person at the community college.  Even though she studied English in Primary and Secondary school, it was really weak.  Now days, we have more and more complicated conversations.  I am hoping she will have an opportunity to return to her career field in Marketing and management by early next year. 

Everything feels in slow motion, especially having your lives held in limbo, waiting for immigration.  Not an easy path as I said, but when you find someone who loves you and you love, it is worth the wait and effort.

Jack

Does your wife work now?

To me, I feel it's the most important thing that can happen when a TG moves outside of Thailand 

It gets them out of the house

They have their own money so don't feel totally reliant on you

They meet friends so not just in your orbit

And gives them a challenge 

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Does your wife work now?

To me, I feel it's the most important thing that can happen when a TG moves outside of Thailand 

It gets them out of the house

They have their own money so don't feel totally reliant on you

They meet friends so not just in your orbit

And gives them a challenge 

She worked for six months once she got her work permit.  It was a simple job at UPS as a package handler. Once she got her PR, I insisted she study English the next 18 months.  She does have a few Thai women friends here she keeps in touch with.  A bunch of them met for lunch two weeks ago.  And you are so correct.  It is hard for her to not make her own money, but I have convinced her to wait, that becoming fluent in English opens up doors for employment and career, that would otherwise be closed.

She will finish the program in December this year.  Next year, hopefully, Covid will be in retreat.  Her now going to the college campus has really helped.  I bought her a nice used car; she has her driver's license and I finally feel confident she will be okay.  Wow!  

BTW.  It is nice to share.  I don't mind talking in public.  I suspect you and I are not alone in this journey.

Jack

Edited by SkyDogJack
Spelling

1 hour ago, SkyDogJack said:

She worked for six months once she got her work permit.  It was a simple job at UPS as a package handler. Once she got her PR, I insisted she study English the next 18 months.  She does have a few Thai women friends here she keeps in touch with.  A bunch of them met for lunch two weeks ago.  And you are so correct.  It is hard for her to not make her own money, but I have convinced her to wait, that becoming fluent in English opens up doors for employment and career, that would otherwise be closed.

She will finish the program in December this year.  Next year, hopefully, Covid will be in retreat.  Her now going to the college campus has really helped.  I bought her a nice used car; she has her driver's license and I finally feel confident she will be okay.  Wow!  

BTW.  It is nice to share.  I don't mind talking in public.  I suspect you and I are not alone in this journey.

Jack

When my wife 1st got to Canada we were just meeting Thai girls married to Canadians

And there was just too much drama

They always comparing their lives, jealousy 

But once she started working in Thai restaurants most of the Thais she met were here on their own 

And most were upper middle class in Thailand 

So none of them cared what we had or didn't have

They just liked my wife for her

And she has AWESOME friends here

They are like family to us 

16 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

When my wife 1st got to Canada we were just meeting Thai girls married to Canadians

But once she started working in Thai restaurants most of the Thais she met were here on their own 

And most were upper middle class in Thailand 

So none of them cared what we had or didn't have

They just liked my wife for her

And she has AWESOME friends here

They are like family to us 

Marc26,

I really get that. My wife was telling me exactly the same thing about the Thai women she met for lunch last week.  That it was all about gossip she was disgusted.  We are very middle class and the Thai women she met were all about how much money they have. Yea, drama times 100. Why I want my wife in an American office professional position with American women. 

Not that American women are perfect,  quite frankly,  they are really greedy.  I'd my wife can get into a regular   middle class American job, I think we will be OK. 

It is quite the mess. Geez....

51 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

28 minutes ago, SkyDogJack said:

I really get that. My wife was telling me exactly the same thing about the Thai women she met for lunch last week.

Same here in Japan as well gents. My wife was not impressed after meeting the local housewife set. All about money, jealousy and comparing.

It wasn’t until she started working and meeting people here on their own that things got better. They have different priorities in life.

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Same here in Japan as well gents. My wife was not impressed after meeting the local housewife set. All about money, jealousy and comparing.

It wasn’t until she started working and meeting people here on their own that things got better. They have different priorities in life.

Hi BigHewer,

It's refreshing to know I'm not the only guy experiencing this.  i just count myself lucky I got a good 'local" girl that has a lot of self-respect and pride in taking care of herself and as a single mother, raising her daughter and putting herself through her bachelor's degree.  When I decided to move back to the USA, it took a year for me to get her here.  OMG, she worked 18 hours a day in that year time in her Marketing/Sales job and driving Grab for extra money.  She did not want to ask me for help, because she knew I was having to rebuild everything back here.  Car, apartment, furniture, etc.  

I can see the difference in my wife as she become more confident.  To come back to the states, start up again (fortunately i have a very good retirement) and navigate the immigration system has been an experience, to say the least.

Thanks for joining in,

Cheers!

Jack

8 hours ago, SkyDogJack said:

Hi BigHewer,

It's refreshing to know I'm not the only guy experiencing this.  i just count myself lucky I got a good 'local" girl that has a lot of self-respect and pride in taking care of herself and as a single mother, raising her daughter and putting herself through her bachelor's degree.  When I decided to move back to the USA, it took a year for me to get her here.  OMG, she worked 18 hours a day in that year time in her Marketing/Sales job and driving Grab for extra money.  She did not want to ask me for help, because she knew I was having to rebuild everything back here.  Car, apartment, furniture, etc.  

I can see the difference in my wife as she become more confident.  To come back to the states, start up again (fortunately i have a very good retirement) and navigate the immigration system has been an experience, to say the least.

Thanks for joining in,

Cheers!

Jack

Great to read about your experience, Jack. Very uplifting. And kudos for finding a great lady. My wife gave up her career to come to Japan but was unfazed, always positive, improving and moving forward. It’s actually a big motivator for me to keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2022 at 6:52 AM, SkyDogJack said:

Hi Thaidup,

I understand.  We got back to the USA and went into two years of lockdowns.  Nothing as bad as Australia though. It as been really hard on my wife.  The economy shut down, jobs went away and her first experience of America was trapped in a small apartment here with me.  Thank god for Facebook and Line.  She has been able to stay in touch with her family, especially her daughter everyday.  

I don't think many, except those of us who have decided to marry, and whether stay in Thailand or return home understand just how difficult this path really is.  I am lucky.  My wife is a university graduate and worked with customers from many different countries, plus worked in Myanmar for a year.  She has a small Thai family and not a large one as many Thai do.  She is also used to working away from her daughter, so I think that has eased her journey.  I do look forward to our getting to return in 2024 for a long visit.  

We have also used the time the best we could during the pandemic.  She has been taking English classes online, and now in person at the community college.  Even though she studied English in Primary and Secondary school, it was really weak.  Now days, we have more and more complicated conversations. And she is making jokes in English. Looking on all the positive things in our lives.

I am hoping she will have an opportunity to return to her career field in Marketing and management by early next year. 

So, everything feels in slow motion, especially having your lives held in limbo, waiting for immigration.  Not an easy path as I said, but when you find someone who loves you and you love, it is worth the wait and effort.

Jack

Most Thais these days don't have a large family anymore. The vast majority of Thai mothers give birth to one or two children only. Thailand's fertility rate is the lowest of any developing country.

• Thanks 1