News Forum - Health officials warn about 100,000 daily Covid cases after Songkran

Thaiger

As Songkran approaches, health officials are warning that daily Covid caseloads could reach over 100,000 after festivals “if Thais don’t take precautions”. Even before Songkran, the Department of Health predicted daily cases could rise to 50,000. But now they’ve doubled their prediction. PM Prayut is also urging Thais to “take precautions”, particularly before visiting elderly family members. A government spokesman said yesterday that family activities should be held in well-ventilated areas, and people should take antigen tests before the activities. Read The Thaiger’s opinion piece about this prediction of 100,000 Covid infections HERE. The Department of Health also advises elderly […]

The story Health officials warn about 100,000 daily Covid cases after Songkran as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It seems they made this yet to materialize prediction earlier. Why don’t they just stop these silly predictions and where do they get them anyway? Tea leaves?

In any case, these are a win-win for the officials since if it’s wrong, then nobody will complain and if it’s right, they can say, “I told you so” 😕

• Like 3

Same like weather forecasting

50% chance of rain predicted by the forecaster, if it doesn't rain all is good; if it rains the weather forecasters say "I told you so."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The full article in the Bangkok Post is almost too painful to read. Almost every paragraph is complete and utter garbage. Phrases such as the PM “Instructing” Governor's to “devise methods” to contain Covid. So after two years of this pandemic we don’t all know already how to contain it? It’s a total cop out comment. It’s essentially saying he will allow the mass movement of people and you sort out the Sh*t he’s causing. 

A little later in the article, a department of health official is advising people attending festivities to take an antigen test “72 hours in advance”. Why 72 hours? Why not an hour before you leave to attend the festivity. Such an illiterate comment from someone who is held up as a health expert simply beggars belief.

The Department for Disease Control went on to say that precautions should be taken Including avoiding “non essential travel”. You mean like driving from a high infection zone in Bangkok and travelling 300km to an isolated village to see you old mum and dad to sprinkle water on their hands. Is that what you mean by “non essential travel”? Or is it driving 300km to get totally drunk and mixing with thousands of other people. Is that what you mean by “non essential travel”?  Words like Brainless, Idiotic, Mindless and dense don’t even come close.    

The Impact of Songkran will be what it will be. Nothing the government are doing or not doing will ultimately change anything. The number of people dying will get massaged and manipulated and the plan to “fully” reopen (apart from with an antigen test on arrival and possibly some extra insurance) will still happen in June.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Come on now, regardless of one's opinion on the whole covid thing, everybody knows that it is already the case and most likely it has been for a while. As I said numerous times, I know so many people around me who definitely got covid with all the same symptoms the last 2 months or so, including myself, and what I hear from friends and people I know all over Thailand is exactly the same. And that's not even including the always much higher numbers of infected people who do not get any symptom so basically are not sick. If we were pointlessely testing the entire population, there is no way the number of cases would not be way over 100 000 today. It is just another non-sense on top of the pile of countless others.

Edited by Manu
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thais to “take precautions”,

People are so sick and tired after these 2 years, I doubt there'll be much precautions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

People are so sick and tired after these 2 years, I doubt there'll be much precautions.

At least he said only Thais need to take precautions though. Farang can do what we like 🤣

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Scribble said:

At least he said only Thais need to take precautions though. Farang can do what we like 🤣

And when the numbers surge, they have their good old scapegoat to blame😉

Nah... it will be around 50,001 and 100,001 respectively. Lol. They using Neil Ferguson's computer modeling program again? Lol. I just again, want to take the opportunity to Thank God for government... how would we survive? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are they still allowing  Thais to  travel to their registered province to seek medical help while Covid positive ?

Throwing caution to the wind! Imop

I recall reports in the news of this last year.

• Like 1

You mean like their tourist number predictions? Lol How about this. When it doesn’t happen you lift all these useless restrictions and stop destroying your own country! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

..."I doubt there'll be much precautions."

I agree, the real precaution to take is to have the vaccines, but so few have bothered or believe they are dangerous so it is the fault of the Thai population for continually having to be locked down.

In countries which are now fully open the vast majority of people have been vaccinated which enabled them to open up.

The Thais can't have it both ways., vaccine or continuous lockdown.

I was speaking to a Thai a few days ago and she said she know many people who have not had any vaccines because they have listened to silly gossip which states the vaccines are dangerous, she herself has had three.

15 hours ago, Manu said:

Come on now, regardless of one's opinion on the whole covid thing, everybody knows that it is already the case and most likely it has been for a while. As I said numerous times, I know so many people around me who definitely got covid with all the same symptoms the last 2 months or so, including myself, and what I hear from friends and people I know all over Thailand is exactly the same. And that's not even including the always much higher numbers of infected people who do not get any symptom so basically are not sick. If we were pointlessely testing the entire population, there is no way the number of cases would not be way over 100 000 today. It is just another non-sense on top of the pile of countless others.

I suppose all of those people who have died around the world due to covid did not really die, they were all actors I suppose, that is good news as my mother in law might turn up soon after she has finished acting at being dead.

My sister in law will be getting paid soon after pretending to be in a coma fro two weeks and on a ventilation machine for two months, I didn't know she was that good an actor. 

It’s Everywhere. Doesn’t Matter How You Catch It Anymore.Cases? For what ? 

If fully vaxxed it won’t kill you. If not,nobody effing cares as you were warned.

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

I suppose all of those people who have died around the world due to covid did not really die, they were all actors I suppose, that is good news as my mother in law might turn up soon after she has finished acting at being dead.

My sister in law will be getting paid soon after pretending to be in a coma fro two weeks and on a ventilation machine for two months, I didn't know she was that good an actor. 

??????????????????????????????

Please read my comment again, not one single thing in your response is related to: 1- the topic. 2- what I said which was related to the topic.

Your stories are very sad and I am sorry for you, and I will have the decency not to tell in an online forum to complete strangers one of mine regarding my own dad who died BECAUSE of covid WITHOUT EVEN having covid, but surely you have noticed by now that luckily, most people do not die from covid or end up in a coma, even less with Omicron. But unfortunately, some do. But that was not AT ALL what I said in my previous comment if it is, for some reason, what you understood and which is, wether you accept it or not, simply the reality. The topic was "100 000 cases after Songkhran".

Edited by Manu

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

I was speaking to a Thai a few days ago and she said she know many people who have not had any vaccines because they have listened to silly gossip which states the vaccines are dangerous, she herself has had three.

Yes, this mindset is rife in rural villages. Many people would rather listen to the local quack than get vaccinated. Lack of even basic education for many is the problem. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes, this mindset is rife in rural villages. Many people would rather listen to the local quack than get vaccinated. Lack of even basic education for many is the problem. 

Not all rural villages are that way. Our  village health  enter is very active. True some people don't avail the services  but they are always helpful. 

51 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Not all rural villages are that way. Our  village health  enter is very active. True some people don't avail the services  but they are always helpful. 

I never said anything about village health centres, many of whom are very good. My point, which I will make again, is that many people would rather listen to the local quack (or witch doctor if that helps with your understanding) rather than take the advice of trained health professionals. 

just a thought about all those temperature checks. i had to pass 3 just to get into Tops today, all 3 showed very different temperature.

q1: had anyone ever been identified as infected by those devices? 

q2: why every shop in a shopping mall got those? (if it's necessary, why nobody attend it)

q3: would you walk at the mall if you have 37.5 fever?

.. just being as usually sarcastic 

5 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

just a thought about all those temperature checks. i had to pass 3 just to get into Tops today, all 3 showed very different temperature.

q1: had anyone ever been identified as infected by those devices? 

q2: why every shop in a shopping mall got those? (if it's necessary, why nobody attend it)

q3: would you walk at the mall if you have 37.5 fever?

.. just being as usually sarcastic 

Q1: No and never seen anyone

Q2: probably because they were told to and no one can think for themselves. 

Q3: No. I can imagine all the lights flash, alarms ring and doors automatically locked if one of those machines went red. You would be detained until a group of people in full Hazmat suits turned up to remove you. 

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Q1: No and never seen anyone

Q2: probably because they were told to and no one can think for themselves. 

Q3: No. I can imagine all the lights flash, alarms ring and doors automatically locked if one of those machines went red. You would be detained until a group of people in full Hazmat suits turned up to remove you. 

Let's hope so!

53 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Let's hope so!

Most do nothing. Just display a random number between 36.1 and 36.8. A bit like the mine detectors they bought a few years back 

On 3/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, BillO said:

You mean like their tourist number predictions? Lol How about this. When it doesn’t happen you lift all these useless restrictions and stop destroying your own country! 

Thailands economy has already been destroyed.

2 years back to back negative economy, on the big slide already and going for 3 years, bye bye baht.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

Thailands economy has already been destroyed.

2 years back to back negative economy, on the big slide already and going for 3 years, bye bye baht.

The tourist industry is in deep trouble and   needs to refocus, into activities suitable  for families. Hopefully the continuous lockdowns will eliminate many sleazy places and allow something better.

• Like 1