News Forum - Hospitality sector, tourism operators call for entry restrictions to be dropped now

Thaiger

Businesses, particularly those in the tourism and hospitality sectors, say July 1 – the date the government hopes to declare Covid-19 endemic – is too long to wait for restrictions to be lifted. As operators watch what’s happening in neighbouring countries, Thailand’s tourism sector is feeling anxious. According to a Bangkok Post report, Chamnan Srisawat from the Tourism Council of Thailand says July 1 is nearly 4 months away and many businesses will struggle to keep going until then. He’s calling for the Test & Go entry scheme to be ditched well before then, to give Thailand a chance to […]

The story Hospitality sector, tourism operators call for entry restrictions to be dropped now as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

He adds that the rate of imported infections is negligible and doesn’t justify keeping strict entry conditions in place.

Exactly. It's more of a emotional reasons than rational.

100% right! all these restrictions have kept me away from thailand for last two years!and i had been living their  six months each year for the past 18 years.i hope im not looking at another year of staying away.all these downloads,pass,booking hotels,transportation,testing and other crap is too much.i hope someone will start useing their heads soon!!i spent around one million baht each trip.and im not the super ''rich'' guy that prayut seems to be looking for.its ones like me which are millions who support the local buiness.dont he understand most super rich go to a golf resort and stay there?they dont go out to bars,street food vendors,home pro doing projects ect. so wake up and open up without all the crap.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Exactly. It's more of a emotional reasons than rational.

Agreed. And achieved by tapping in to the nationalistic agenda of successive governments.

• Like 3

Good for them. Test & Go 2.0 has been a total disaster as there are so few arrivals. If you make it difficult, people won’t come.

Thailand and ASEAN have seen a huge jump in poverty and with increased oil prices a new recession is on the way. It is time to jump start the tourist economy NOW!

The whole system should be scrapped by May at the latest. The border controls provide minimal benefits at a huge cost. Also whatever “nightlife” is still closed should be allowed to reopen. It’s been a year with no support. 

• Like 1

“Exactly as I said on Friday”

July is way too long to wait to have any impact on tourism and the Thai economy.

It’s almost a certainty that along this road there will be failures to meet such requirements as set out and in turn the July date will slip, eventually leaving Thailand the last country to do away with the ridiculous entry requirements.

Tourism is hanging on by a thread, as are those people that own businesses or are employed in the industry. Those very same people are now to be faced with huge increases in energy costs, along with thousands of Thai citizen’s that had jobs related to the industry and are waiting to return to them.

IMO. If Thailand does not follow the example of most of their competitors very quickly, they will be heading for the perfect storm.

Covid is here to stay. Deal with the spikes as they happen (just like flu spikes) or economically die trying to manage it  

• Like 2

Some posters are very self centered and only want their definition of a good time. They feel that single old white men visiting entertainment places is what drives the economy. While tourism had been 20% of the Thai economy, the single old men visiting entertainment places wasn't the chief driving force. However, this group rationalized they are helping. 

Thailand has done really good so far and the majority of Thais don't want this to change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Some posters are very self centered and only want their definition of a good time. They feel that single old white men visiting entertainment places is what drives the economy. While tourism had been 20% of the Thai economy, the single old men visiting entertainment places wasn't the chief driving force. However, this group rationalized they are helping. 

Thailand has done really good so far and the majority of Thais don't want this to change. 

The reduction of arrival is also a reflection of the world economy. Tourism is down worldwide so how would reducing restrictions help. It could help so but many wouldn't want to get on long flights that could expose them unnecessarily.  Frankly, I would hope airlines require testing before departure, so my getting infected during the flight is reduced. 

Getting sick when on a vacation is a real bummer. Let's hope they don't throw caution to the wind because a few complain.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

When did the majority of  Thai people consult you? How many?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I wouldn’t bother responding poolie 

looks like Ij with yet another name

Recognisable, by his attempt to spark a reaction and fire people up. Clearly is completely out of touch with the reality of the actual situation.

only way to deal with these people is not respond buddy. 

Have a good day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

When did the majority of  Thai people consult you? How many?

They didn't, unless it was his imaginary friends, pilots, army officers, and the som tam lady.

Well, lets give the thai goverment the benefit if the doubt , that they r really concerned about the health of their subjects.... let'm require pre travel pcr test b4 travelling, but not another1 in thailand, no qurantine .no hussle bussel... and they could add insurance to the ticket so that , any1 suffers covid symptoms, the insurance will pay for his quarantine( i am sure all pcr test will come all -ve and they'll ascribe symptoms to general cold)... and i gurantee millions will flood thailsnd in no time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

What has any of the restriction or lifting test on arrival got to do with your obsession with “single white men visiting  entertainment places”? The restrictions are stopping everyone visiting Thailand on holiday. Old single white men looking for sex with girls the age of their granddaughter, all the way through to the perfect young couple with two young kids.  What is it that has happened to you in the past that makes you keep playing the same old tune? Give it a rest will you. Get over whatever relationship you’ve been hurt by (male or female) and stop being so bitter about other people living their life.

If the topic was about the price of Durian, you’d find a way to link it to white men visiting bars, barflys and begpackers. Boring doesn’t even come close to describing these inane posts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Getting sick when on a vacation is a real bummer. Let's hope they don't throw caution to the wind because a few complain.

How about the loss of some 10%-15% of national GDP. That’s the problem. It’s not about people having a good time. It’s about running or ruining an economy. Something that the every day Thai citizen needs to function. It’s fine for you sat with your multi thousand dollar a month pension and your health insurance. You aren’t affected by it. Any yet you have the cheek to say others are self centred. My god, how obtuse can you be 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BBY said:

only way to deal with these people is not respond buddy. 

I wish I could turn a blind eye to the stupidity of the remarks made by this guy. He simply will not see the damage the loss of tourism is doing to the life of every day Thais. These are the people on the one hand he claims to love so much and yet on the other couldn’t care less

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samtrio said:

Well, lets give the thai goverment the benefit if the doubt , that they r really concerned about the health of their subjects.... let'm require pre travel pcr test b4 travelling, but not another1 in thailand, no qurantine .no hussle bussel... and they could add insurance to the ticket so that , any1 suffers covid symptoms, the insurance will pay for his quarantine( i am sure all pcr test will come all -ve and they'll ascribe symptoms to general cold)... and i gurantee millions will flood thailsnd in no time

1 hour ago, Samtrio said:

Do you really trust testing in other countries? Why then were there positive tests on arrival? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I wish I could turn a blind eye to the stupidity of the remarks made by this guy. He simply will not see the damage the loss of tourism is doing to the life of every day Thais. These are the people on the one hand he claims to love so much and yet on the other couldn’t care less

But he is kind of right, the average Thai doesn't care and most don't want the country open yet, tourism doesn't effect them

And he may take a shot at "old white guys" but they do have a sense that they are much more important than they are..........bragging that Thailand is losing their 5k they would spend in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But he is kind of right, the average Thai doesn't care and most don't want the country open yet, tourism doesn't effect them

And he may take a shot at "old white guys" but they do have a sense that they are much more important than they are..........bragging that Thailand is losing their 5k they would spend in Thailand

Its not about what the average Thai cares or understands even. The economic facts are that no country can take a 10%-15% hit on GDP and that not affect the average Thai. It will impact their schools, their hospitals and their jobs. It’s a governments responsibility to take care of its people and the fact many are simply too ignorant to understand the impact of what the loss of tourism is doing doesn’t change that responsibility. 

As for a few people bragging about what they spend also doesn’t justify Fred’s continuous banging on about barflys and begpackers. 5k may not sound a lot. Multiply it by 5 million and it’s a hell of a lot of money Thailand is missing out on and for what? 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Its not about what the average Thai cares or understands even. The economic facts are that no country can take a 10%-15% hit on GDP and that not affect the average Thai. It will impact their schools, their hospitals and their jobs. It’s a governments responsibility to take care of its people and the fact many are simply too ignorant to understand the impact of what the loss of tourism is doing doesn’t change that responsibility. 

As for a few people bragging about what they spend also doesn’t justify Fred’s continuous banging on about barflys and begpackers. 5k may not sound a lot. Multiply it by 5 million and it’s a hell of a lot of money Thailand is missing out on and for what? 

I agree with all of that

But I still think Fred is right in that the average Thai doesn't care............

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Some high volume posters seem to be wind bags, who make little sense.

When you point a finger, there's three pointing back at you. :)

• Like 2