News Forum - Concern over new Omicron mutation discovered in Hong Kong

Thaiger

A leading health expert in Thailand has expressed concern about a new Omicron sub-variant that has surfaced in Hong Kong. Dr Chalermchai Boonyaleephan from the Senate committee on public health says Omicron has now mutated into 3 sub-variants, the latest being the BA.2.2 mutation reported in Hong Kong. The territory is currently experiencing its worst Covid-19 wave to date, with the world’s highest fatality rate, particularly among care home residents and the unvaccinated population. According to a Bangkok Post report, Chalermchai says that when the infection rate is very high, such as in Hong Kong at the moment, this makes […]

The story Concern over new Omicron mutation discovered in Hong Kong as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I’m never one for conspiracy theories or anything close to political plots to reset society. However, even I am starting to believe if we are seeing a real attempt to clear the dependance of Thailands economy on Tourism. It’s been 2 years now that the industry has been closed. The sky hasn’t fallen in. The Baht and Stock Market are doing as well, if not better than most. People aren’t protesting and just getting on with life. It starting to make me wonder if there is a bigger agenda going on …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m never one for conspiracy theories or anything close to political plots to reset society. However, even I am starting to believe if we are seeing a real attempt to clear the dependance of Thailands economy on Tourism. It’s been 2 years now that the industry has been closed. The sky hasn’t fallen in. The Baht and Stock Market are doing as well, if not better than most. People aren’t protesting and just getting on with life. It starting to make me wonder if there is a bigger agenda going on …

it's easy really.  The Thai govt will do whatever it takes to maintain and distribute power.  Do you really think they want to get rid of these "emergency powers" that are still active?  These lockdowns and closures were to stop the protests last year at the capital, they were getting out of hand.  What better way is to destroy the average citizen's moral and make them poor, easier to control and maintain power this way.  They don't want the average citizen to freely think, look what's happening to the west. 

• Like 3

At this very moment there will be Govt officials discussing the possibility, desirability of further lockdowns and travel restrictions. As discussed in comments above, I truly believe there is a plan within the ultra conservative Thai elite to destroy the tourist and retirement industry and bring about a pure Thai renaissance without the dirty farang. If the country is not fully opened within 3 months, 2022 will be yet another lost year ... pity the ordinary Thai person.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Destroy the tourism and retirement industries? Have you taken leave of your senses? 

“One thing to find them, One thing to bring them all. and in the darkness bind them.”

My Precious … it’s the money! Pre Covid at least 18% of GDP was directly  tourism related not counting Buddha knows how much in grey money and foreign investment. And you think the Thai people would let that go? Do you think these imaginary staunch Thai nationalists bent on wiping clean the Siam slate of dirty farang influence would want their own people to miss farangs and long for the good old days of easy farang money? Begone with your foolishness. 

• Cool 1

10 hours ago, TorontoJeff said:

lots of conspiracy nuts here

Dozens of them - they were packed off to a corner on here with a few straightjackets but every now and then they venture out amongst normal people.

They love to claim the junta are corrupt (no argument there) but at the same time have an agenda to cut off billions of tourist cash cutting off a major avenue of cash for them to allegedly siphon off! 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

There will always be variants. Stop this scaremongering reporting. The high Death rate in Hong King is with older and unvaccinated people. So lock them up and let the rest of us got in with our lives.

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The high Death rate in Hong King is with older and unvaccinated people. So lock them up and let the rest of us got in with our lives.

Let me think, oh, yes, that it is all over the world, isn't it?

80+% of the death toll is in the elder communities, vaccinated/unvaccinated, in some Europe countries (Sweden, Germany, ...) , the majority is, oopsi, was even older as 80.

That is , actually, what I find funny: THESE elders are most often seen with nose free/ mask under chin. As it seems often with obese people, too. "I can't breath with mask" "Ok, how is that different to without mask"?

I think the time has come, with omicron, when every one is his own protector.

Has to be, at least. You don't want a mask? Up2you, just stay outside of supermarkets, malls, convenient stores: they get closed for disinfection because the staff gets infected by long hours in close environments with aircon and fan while idiots with masks under there noses entering these shops

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Soidog said:

maybe shift to so called green energy

hydrogen or ev's

that means it could taken decades.. but lets see

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:37 PM, Donald said:

Nuts ? Who are you to call people with a different view nuts ?

He’s clearly not a squirrel.