News Forum - Thailand-India air travel bubble gets the greenlight to start this month

Thaiger

Thai and Indian airlines are now allowed to offer flights through the travel bubble scheme between the two countries, allowing citizens and visa holders to travel between Thailand and India. Reports say Thai officials have been in talks with their counterparts in India for the past month. India’s Ministry of Civil Aviation has confirmed on its website that India has created an air bubble arrangement with Thailand, adding that national and Thai carriers can now operate flights between the two countries. Foreigners and Thais travelling to India are required to hold a valid Indian visa and Indian nationals and foreigners travelling from India […]

The story Thailand-India air travel bubble gets the greenlight to start this month as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

the travel bubble

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

an air bubble

Sounds like they've wrapped it up then .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What is the need for a travel bubble at this point? It’s obvious the entry restrictions failed in their purpose. Maybe 1% of arrivals test positive and an even smaller share of them actually have an infection. Compare those hundreds to the 10,000 50,000 or 100,000 local infections every day.  

Just end the madness as much of the rest of the world has done. You’ve killed many multiples more of livelihoods and dreams while robbing everyone of two years of their life. What is the objective anymore? 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Money?

Of course and to only select groups. Can’t let the plebs get too haughty by letting them earn their own living. 

• Like 1

Majority of Indians go to Pattaya, so should be good for Pattaya's economy but won't make a big difference in the rest of Thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saunk said:

Majority of Indians go to Pattaya, so should be good for Pattaya's economy but won't make a big difference in the rest of Thailand.

Phuket is also dreaming about more money tourist, eh, more-money tourists!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai and Indian airlines are now allowed to offer flights through the travel bubble scheme between the two countries, allowing citizens and visa holders to travel between Thailand and India. Reports say Thai officials have been in talks with their counterparts in India for the past month. India’s Ministry of Civil Aviation has confirmed on its website that India has created an air bubble arrangement with Thailand, adding that national and Thai carriers can now operate flights between the two countries. Foreigners and Thais travelling to India are required to hold a valid Indian visa and Indian nationals and foreigners travelling from India […]

The story Thailand-India air travel bubble gets the greenlight to start this month as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So do these Indians coming through this bubble have to apply for the Thai Pass too? 

If not, time to get rid of this silly thing for all travellers. If yes, what's the big deal?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

And a Picture from 2014 (Galaxy Note 4), to illustrate the article?

Perhaps they are expecting visitors from a galaxy far far away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fundok said:

So do these Indians coming through this bubble have to apply for the Thai Pass too? 

If not, time to get rid of this silly thing for all travellers. If yes, what's the big deal?

direct flights

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fundok said:

Giving the impression they are doing "something"...

Might be good for Phuket's ecconomy. Indians are heavily involved in unmetered taxis like Uber. We could be seeing some new competition?

Plus they are also into tailor shops. But be careful if you get a pin stripe suit made. Make sure they understand the the stripes go 'vertically' and not  'horizontally'! 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Sandbar said:

Might be good for Phuket's ecconomy. Indians are heavily involved in unmetered taxis like Uber. We could be seeing some new competition?

Plus they are also into tailor shops. But be careful if you get a pin stripe suit made. Make sure they understand the the stripes go 'vertically' and not  'horizontally'! 

I've often wondered about all those tailor shops at beach resorts in thailand.

Who while strolling down to the beach in their best singlet suddenly decides to buy a 3 piece suit?

I've never seen a single customer in any of the places.

I've long suspected they are a front for money laundering or something else that's a bit dodgy.

There has to be something going on.

Edited by Cathat
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 6:51 PM, Thaiger said:

Thai and Indian airlines are now allowed to offer flights through the travel bubble scheme between the two countries, allowing citizens and visa holders to travel between Thailand and India.

Oh REALLY ………………How?

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/india-extends-ban-on-international-air-travel-indefinitely.html

India Extends Ban on International Air Travel Indefinitely,     March 03, 2022

India’s government yesterday extended the country’s ban on international passenger flights without indicating when it might be lifted. NDTV reported that, on January 19, the suspension of passenger air travel in India had been extended through February 28, but will now continue until further notice.

Has the Bubble already Burst?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 6:27 AM, Tim said:

Looks like they have finally found high quality tourists 😆 😆 😆 Not

What’s your definition of a quality tourist? I would have thought that anyone with money to spend is a good tourist 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:28 PM, JJJ said:

What is the need for a travel bubble at this point? It’s obvious the entry restrictions failed in their purpose. Maybe 1% of arrivals test positive and an even smaller share of them actually have an infection. Compare those hundreds to the 10,000 50,000 or 100,000 local infections every day.  

Just end the madness as much of the rest of the world has done. You’ve killed many multiples more of livelihoods and dreams while robbing everyone of two years of their life. What is the objective anymore? 

I honestly think the Thais simply find it difficult to modify their ways based on experience. They start off doing something a particular way, and it then seems utterly fixed forever. I’m not sure if it’s a mindset brought up on bureaucracy or a mindset that doesn’t welcome new ideas. I just don’t think there’s a mechanism for anyone in a meeting to say “You know what, let’s stop this test on arrival. There’s no scientific need for it now is there?” Unless the guy at the top “Orders” it, no one feels it’s their job to express an opinion and bring about change. It’s why all buildings are the same. It’s why all water pipes are blue. It’s why all buildings have very defined perimeter walls. It’s why all things are done exactly the same the length and breadth of the country. They will only change when told to or money makes them change.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I honestly think the Thais simply find it difficult to modify their ways based on experience. They start off doing something a particular way, and it then seems utterly fixed forever. I’m not sure if it’s a mindset brought up on bureaucracy or a mindset that doesn’t welcome new ideas. I just don’t think there’s a mechanism for anyone in a meeting to say “You know what, let’s stop this test on arrival. There’s no scientific need for it now is there?” Unless the guy at the top “Orders” it, no one feels it’s their job to express an opinion and bring about change. It’s why all buildings are the same. It’s why all water pipes are blue. It’s why all buildings have very defined perimeter walls. It’s why all things are done exactly the same the length and breadth of the country. They will only change when told to or money makes them change.  

That’s a ridiculous over simplification. The Covid requirements won’t go on for ever but I think every country is coming out of covid in their own way and in their own time For example countries like Singapore and Vietnam still have testing on arrival and insurance requirements . Trying to put down Thailand as some kind of monolithic people in the way that you are trying unsuccessfully to do makes me wonder if you have ever been here😂

15 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

That’s a ridiculous over simplification. The Covid requirements won’t go on for ever but I think every country is coming out of covid in their own way and in their own time For example countries like Singapore and Vietnam still have testing on arrival and insurance requirements . Trying to put down Thailand as some kind of monolithic people in the way that you are trying unsuccessfully to do makes me wonder if you have ever been here😂

I’m not putting Thailand down. I’m observing this behaviour daily.  It’s not my choice to observe what I see. Wonder all you like mate. I’ve been coming here for nearly 28 years and spent most of the last 16 years here. 

Im not suggesting Thailand won’t remove all restrictions. But they won’t do it through logical scientific analysis and lead the way. It will be done because others are doing it and taking food off their table. It will linger on and on with temperature check machines (you know, the ones you hold your hand up to as you enter Central Plaza) being around well in to next year. Old and half empty alcohol gel bottles in restaurants. Change only happens when it’s blindingly obvious or someone on top “orders” it to be done. 

If you look close enough you will see it everywhere. When credit cards first came out (without chip and pin) they printed a receipt and you had to sign it. They kept a copy and you got one. Most countries then moved to just entering your pin in to the machine and you got a receipt. Now the world has moved on again and for most transactions you just move your card or even phone near the wireless reader and off you go. In Thailand they still ask you to enter your pin but then print the papers and get you to sign it. No need whatsoever. But that’s how they have always done it. There are many such examples if you’ve been here long enough and observe it. This isn’t Thai bashing, it’s Thai observing. Try it, it’s fun! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m not putting Thailand down. I’m observing this behaviour daily.  It’s not my choice to observe what I see. Wonder all you like mate. I’ve been coming here for nearly 28 years and spent most of the last 16 years here. 

Im not suggesting Thailand won’t remove all restrictions. But they won’t do it through logical scientific analysis and lead the way. It will be done because others are doing it and taking food off their table. It will linger on and on with temperature check machines (you know, the ones you hold your hand up to as you enter Central Plaza) being around well in to next year. Old and half empty alcohol gel bottles in restaurants. Change only happens when it’s blindingly obvious or someone on top “orders” it to be done. 

If you look close enough you will see it everywhere. When credit cards first came out (without chip and pin) they printed a receipt and you had to sign it. They kept a copy and you got one. Most countries then moved to just entering your pin in to the machine and you got a receipt. Now the world has moved on again and for most transactions you just move your card or even phone near the wireless reader and off you go. In Thailand they still ask you to enter your pin but then print the papers and get you to sign it. No need whatsoever. But that’s how they have always done it. There are many such examples if you’ve been here long enough and observe it. This isn’t Thai bashing, it’s Thai observing. Try it, it’s fun! 

I have lived here continuously since 1996 and been visiting since 1990. I tend to look at things in more positive light but that’s my prerogative. I have made a good living and been well treated since I first came here so I have no interest in slagging the country or people for “fun” as it seems to be disrespectful. However if that is your idea of fun I think there might a reason behind your bitterness ( I won’t try to speculate what) . Perhaps my lack of such bitterness is the reason why I tend to feel the need to defend the country/ people when I see irrational negative comments. Anyway I respect your right to share your opinions. However you might not do it so much if nobody responds to your inflammatory remarks therefore I am going to deprive you of some of your fun by disregarding all your future posts as the poorly thought out rants of a bitter man trying to have fun in his own way. Have a good life 😃

Edited by Stevejm

9 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I have lived here continuously since 1996 and been visiting since 1990. I tend to look at things in more positive light but that’s my prerogative. I have made a good living and been well treated since I first came here so I have no interest in slagging the country or people for “fun” as it seems to be disrespectful. However if that is your idea of fun I think there might a reason behind your bitterness ( I won’t try to speculate what) . Perhaps my lack of such bitterness is the reason why I tend to feel the need to defend the country/ people when I see irrational negative comments. Anyway I respect your right to share your opinions. However you might not do it so much if nobody responds to your inflammatory remarks therefore I am going to deprive you of some of your fun by disregarding all your future posts as the poorly thought out rants of a bitter man trying to have fun in his own way. Have a good life 😃

You should reread my posts. I have no reason to find fun in slagging anything or anyone off. If I did, I could certainly find plenty in my own country. My reference to fun was in opening your eyes and seeing the ways of the country you are in. How is that slagging it off? 

Go in to any land registry office in Thailand and tell me that’s not enjoyable. The mountains of paper documents and the click click sound of manual typewriters. It’s like stepping back in time. 

Why is your only attempt to counter my option to assert personal insults such as calling me bitter. I have nothing to be bitter about. I have a perfectly happy and healthy life choosing from my own free will to spend between 6 and 9 months of the year here in this amazing country. Why turn to insults to substantiate your thoughts. You can disagree without being disagreeable. 

Im afraid you fall in to the category of judging anything people highlight which is inferior or old school as slagging off the place. If Thailand was poor like Loas, then it would be more understandable. But it’s not a poor country. It has the resources and the technology to modernise and improve. I’m suggesting it doesn’t actively choose not to do so, it’s held back by its history and it’s structure of governance and decision making. I could of course be totally wrong. Thailand may decide tomorrow to lead the ASEAN group of nations out of this Covid mire. I’m not sure I’d get many takers if I bet on that!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

I thought his post was pretty spot on and accurate 

And if you read any of his other posts, he's one of the more thoughtful people on this forum and always explains his reasoning

I don't think observing that Thais do tend to not adapt as fast as others places

The amount of times in 18 years with mh wife that she's says "cannot" when I suggest that there are other, more efficient ways to achieve something is astounding 

It comes from the culture of not questioning anything 

To Soi Dogs point 

I can imagine there isn't that much dissenting dialogue in these meetings

It's just not their way

• Thanks 2