What does your ‘natural level of grumpiness’ reveal about you?

Faraday

Of course, none of us on here,  will relate to this, as we are all sweetness & light....😂

"Have you had the soul of a grumpy old man frNatural-level-of-grumpiness-whats-yours-what-it-means-how-to-change-it-BP-ba5e.gif.09ab49b0bfab352625fa41bacb1d8c9e.gifom the moment you entered the world?

Do you absolutely love to have a moan?

Do you give Oscar the Grouch a run for his money?

All of us will sometimes have the tendency to look for the negative rather than celebrating the positive, but there are some people who just seem to be designed to be super grumpy.

This, says Grant J Ryan, the author of Comparonomics: Why Life Is Better Than You Think, is down to your NLG – natural level of grumpiness.

We all have an NLG, but some people’s will be higher than others. You can see this in how often you complain and what about."

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/27/how-to-change-your-natural-level-of-grumpiness-16182559/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Of course, none of us on here,  will relate to this, as we are all sweetness & light....😂

"Have you had the soul of a grumpy old man frNatural-level-of-grumpiness-whats-yours-what-it-means-how-to-change-it-BP-ba5e.gif.09ab49b0bfab352625fa41bacb1d8c9e.gifom the moment you entered the world?

Do you absolutely love to have a moan?

Do you give Oscar the Grouch a run for his money?

All of us will sometimes have the tendency to look for the negative rather than celebrating the positive, but there are some people who just seem to be designed to be super grumpy.

This, says Grant J Ryan, the author of Comparonomics: Why Life Is Better Than You Think, is down to your NLG – natural level of grumpiness.

We all have an NLG, but some people’s will be higher than others. You can see this in how often you complain and what about."

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/27/how-to-change-your-natural-level-of-grumpiness-16182559/

Thanks. Does Thailand make it worse for some or is it just what they bring with them. To bad it’s not left at home.

• Haha 1

Of course I am grumpy. I am Scottish. Although we call it crabbit. 

We spend our entire life like that.

Most countries have at least 5 alert states, defcon 1 defcon 2 etc.

We only have two.

1. Pi$$ed off

2. Lets get the ba$tards

Thats it. It is the natural order of things. Now stop going on about it because its annoying me.

• Haha 4

Generally happy, biggest enemy is age an the aches and pain that come with it.

Plenty of which I get as this stupid old goat is in denial and thinks he can work and do things the same as 40 year olds.  Then my wife pays the price of a grumpy old bugga for the next few days.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, LoongFred said:

Thanks. Does Thailand make it worse for some or is it just what they bring with them. To bad it’s not left at home.

Definitely bring it with them, else if they got it here, they would return home sharpish surely. 

• Haha 1

I find you sometimes go out in a great mood - perhaps grab a cold beer and watch the world go by (dark glasses if the Mrs is with you) and then within a couple of hours some miserable bastard will sit there moaning the beer is one baht more than it was 15 years ago and is cheaper 425 miles away up north and to be polite you nod sympathetically, fast forward a few hours and you go home as miserable as sin as the whining old bastard managed to suck you in with his full repertoire of moans! Thailand is full of em !

I consider myself a happy, contented even tempered kind of chap, but I can get incredibly grumpy when faced with stupidity, rudeness, incompetence, the slow witted and plain dick headedness. As you can imagine, I can get grumpy several times a day in LOS, usually in the car, when dealing with some other expats and in 7/11, which is mostly staffed by slow witted  idiots.  Apart from that, I'm very even tempered!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I find you sometimes go out in a great mood - perhaps grab a cold beer and watch the world go by (dark glasses if the Mrs is with you) and then within a couple of hours some miserable bastard will sit there moaning the beer is one baht more than it was 15 years ago and is cheaper 425 miles away up north and to be polite you nod sympathetically, fast forward a few hours and you go home as miserable as sin as the whining old bastard managed to suck you in with his full repertoire of moans! Thailand is full of em !

I know exactly the type you mean. They can be depressing but my modus operandi with them is to become Mr Sunshine for the duration. I point out everything that brought me to Thailand and makes me happy that they either cheer up or bugger off sharpish and find another miserable sod to moan along with.   😀

• Like 1

There is a saying in Thai if things not develop to a better and nobody complain or try to change it

You need one farang to change it

😅

So the grumpy has also a good side, if he is grumpy on the right point 😃

I was born Irish and Catholic in Boston. So I run "agitated" by default.

I find that I am calmer in SE Asia. *Removed by moderator*

5 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I was born Irish and Catholic in Boston. So I run "agitated" by default.

I find that I am calmer in SE Asia. *Removed by moderator*

I was also born Irish and Catholic in Boston 

5 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I was born Irish and Catholic in Boston.

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My condolences to you both.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So we will both die drunk and guilt ridden. 

I think the key word here is 'old'!

I would admit to getting more cranky and less tolerant over the last 10 years or so. I was a happy and positive person but I am afraid continual aches and pains plays a part, not to mention mortality issues. Also being surrounded by incompetents can wear me down!

I have an identical twin brother and his wife has called him Victor Meldrew for a very long time so I guess that's me too.

For those who have never heard of Victor......

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I would admit to getting more cranky and less tolerant over the last 10 years or so. I was a happy and positive person but I am afraid continual aches and pains plays a part, not to mention mortality issues. Also being surrounded by incompetents can wear me down!

I have an identical twin brother and his wife has called him Victor Meldrew for a very long time so I guess that's me too.

For those who have never heard of Victor......

Meldrew learned at the feet of a master.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, Saltire said:

I would strongly disagree, Have you seen the videos of college students losing their nuts? 🙂

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

So we will both die drunk and guilt ridden. 

That does not have to yet be your Fate.

Someone already died for your sins, do you think he would want you to wallow in guilt and alcohol?

No matter how enjoyable both of those past times can be 😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Raugh said:

Someone already died for your sins, do you think he would want you to wallow in guilt and alcohol?

Yesh....it was a joke. 

2 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Yesh....it was a joke.

I am thinking that any of my posts may need a caveat,"over 50YO under 70YO poster,tends to joke"

16 hours ago, Raugh said:

13 hours ago, Thaidup said:

15 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Yesh....it was a joke. 

No Duh Einstein

Not the swiftest bunch up in here <sigh>

Humor is an art not a science. I have to work with the material you give me no matter how bland and uninteresting it may be.

13 hours ago, Thaidup said:

I am thinking that any of my posts may need a caveat,"over 50YO under 70YO poster,tends to joke"

Maybe a bit of an oversell of your abilities no? We are all happy you are trying "thinking" however

Caveat: These are my feeble attempts at humor. Sorry if I offend or fall short of your expectations. As a Falang I have grown accustomed to falling short of expectations in several departments, but my Zimmer is quite sturdy and nimble still.

Edited by Raugh
added a caveat
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:43 PM, Raugh said:

Maybe a bit of an oversell of your abilities no? We are all happy you are trying "thinking" however

Caveat: These are my feeble attempts at humor. Sorry if I offend or fall short of your expectations. As a Falang I have grown accustomed to falling short of expectations in several departments, but my Zimmer is quite sturdy and nimble still.

No need to apologize to anyone. My post was aimed at explaining how humor was in the 70's 80's and 90's a fine example would be the TV shows like Benny Hill, Though the generation before may find them tasteless and the generation after may find them "sexist", My personnel opinion is that humor should be simply accepted as humor regardless of how it may any individual personally feel. After all it is a joke.🙂

On 3/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, Pinetree said:

I consider myself a happy, contented even tempered kind of chap, but I can get incredibly grumpy when faced with stupidity, rudeness, incompetence, the slow witted and plain dick headedness. As you can imagine, I can get grumpy several times a day in LOS, usually in the car, when dealing with some other expats and in 7/11, which is mostly staffed by slow witted  idiots.  Apart from that, I'm very even tempered!

I think it could just possibly be  you. I invariably find 7Eleven staff to be competent, polite and helpful. 

On 3/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Marc26 said:

Americans who don't want to be American.