Are there elderberries plants available/growing in Thailand?

thaifarmer

Doing a pond enlargement very soon. Was searching for plants on the banks. Elderberries seem to tolerate this environment but I was not able to find any local info (within thailand) on this plant. Does anybody grow this/seen this for sale?

12 hours ago, Convert54 said:

Check Lazada . But be aware that Elderberry plants could be toxic to animals.

Thx for the reply. I did check lazada before posting here. Saw only products made from elderberries. no plants.

Yes, I am aware of the toxicity. But I assume that only ripe berries will fall in water, so I guess the fish will be ok. Also it seems that the plant attracts many bird species.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Faraday said:

Shopee have them, it seems.

https://shopee.co.th/American-Elderberry-Seeds--50-Seeds-to-Plant--Sambucus-Canadensis--Non-GMO-Seeds-i.536958490.11762440525

Made some Elderberry wine once,  when I was living in the UK, it was very good.

A sparkling drink can be made from the flowers & it has a lovely refreshing taste.

Thanks!! Will order a.s.a.p.!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Convert54 said:

great find! I searched for the term "elderberries" and got only product, not plants. Maybe the term elderberry should have been used. Anyway Thanks! I've ordered the seeds already from shopee, so going to try that 1st.

I know someone has already mentioned Lazada thaifarmer but they do sell the plants, 450baht seems expensive but maybe buy one or two and take cuttings?

Screenshot_2022-02-27-19-15-00-439_com.lazada.android.thumb.jpg.a1903d616beb172c0b77cb144cd35761.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I know someone has already mentioned Lazada thaifarmer but they do sell the plants, 450baht seems expensive but maybe buy one or two and take cuttings?

Screenshot_2022-02-27-19-15-00-439_com.lazada.android.thumb.jpg.a1903d616beb172c0b77cb144cd35761.jpg

For my requirement, the seeds are a better choice: I need a kind of hedge near the edge of my pond, which will be dug out somewhere around march/april. The seeds give me more plants. They have a sprouting time of around 40 days. I will have the multiple plants ready for transplant just before rain-season starts.

• Like 2

some updates. Got the seeds..

elderberry_seeds_arrive.jpg.1e211962cf0e0487852e21c56b3e3ad5.jpg

and soaked them

20220306_elderberry_soaked.jpg.dacc0a69b3808f82275a66973f2a4ea4.jpg

for about 36hours

20220307_elderberry_nursery.jpg.005ab50cca336b1f94387f3da1ec79e4.jpg

and added them in a small nursery container. according to the description of the seed seller, wait for 40 days...

I follow the way, with the nursery container, from this youtube uploader: 

how to grow hunderds of elderberry plants for a few bucks

Edited by thaifarmer
add txt

• 1 year later...

Dear 'thaifarmer' :

Please excuse me for being a bit nosy,- but what type of 'Elderberrys' are you actually growing : Are you trying out with the European & well-known Black Elderberry (Sambucus nigra), over there,- or is it your local and native 'Javanese or Chinese Elderberry' (Sambucus javanica) you are cultivating ?  And if it then happens to be the 'Javanica'...I just hope that it is as well-tested & non-toxic as the 'Nigra' - !?

• Like 1