Scorpion Stings.

Thaidup

Got stung by a scorpion an hour ago,(I did not see it at all, I was cleaning up a wood pile and felt the sting on my middle finger tip from under a pile of wood I grabbed, instant pain and a lot of swearing, went back to look for what stung me after putting on some gloves, found nothing, so went to the locals to ask what to do to stop the pain,) They said "Nothing" one smartass said to chop of the hand LOL.

One came back to my place to look for it in the wood pile,and made a huge mess, she said the pain will last till tomorrow.

Although I did not see it and have never been stung by one before, Im 99% sure it was one of those little pale colored scorpions because I have seen lots of them over the years on my property and had a few close calls whilst moving stuff around before.

Does anyone here know of any pain relief that works ? It is really painfull. 10 time worse than the wasp stings around here.

hqdefault.jpg

12 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Got stung by a scorpion an hour ago,(I did not see it at all, I was cleaning up a wood pile and felt the sting on my middle finger tip from under a pile of wood I grabbed, instant pain and a lot of swearing, went back to look for what stung me after putting on some gloves, found nothing, so went to the locals to ask what to do to stop the pain,) They said "Nothing" one smartass said to chop of the hand LOL.

One came back to my place to look for it in the wood pile,and made a huge mess, she said the pain will last till tomorrow.

Although I did not see it and have never been stung by one before, Im 99% sure it was one of those little pale colored scorpions because I have seen lots of them over the years on my property and had a few close calls whilst moving stuff around before.

Does anyone here know of any pain relief that works ? It is really painfull. 10 time worse than the wasp stings around here.

hqdefault.jpg

Hi, @Thaidup! Surprised the locals didn't have a tried & tested remedy, with these critters being so common.

I guess the equally T&T'd Ibuprofen will be your next best friend . . . 30 mins and pain gone, more than likely!

• Like 1

Sometimes when I get a bad ant bite, I put a paste of Borax on it, which relieves the irritation for a few hours. Alternatively, put an ice cube on it for around 20 minutes.

Here's a link from Medical News.

For mild symptoms, such as pain and numbness at the site of the sting, a person may not need much care. They may wish to perform self-care that involves:

• cleaning the area around the sting
  • applying a cold pack or compress
  • taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain relief

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/scorpion-sting

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Maybe if you think too bad then quickly go to the hospital and get a shot just as we do for bee stings, but it might be an anti-venom in this case. Ice, elevate, maybe antihistamine or anti-inflammatory. Just depends on how allergic you are.

• Like 3

Over 6 hours now, the pain is dropping,have like pins and needles from the tip of the finger running up to the top of my hand and 2 joints of that finger all the way down the tendon to the wrist.

Called the missus, she said has been stung around 5 times in her life here and that the pain is the same, Your body will not grow a resistance to it. She explained that if you get stung by one carrying babies or is pregnant the pain will travel more and is much more painfull.

• Like 1

My solution was to persevere through it and open a couple of bottles of Dr Leo, The pain is gone so will get back to the clean up tomorrow but will wear some gloves this time 🙂

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

My solution was to persevere through it and open a couple of bottles of Dr Leo, The pain is gone so will get back to the clean up tomorrow but will wear some gloves this time 🙂

Dr Leo, maybe, but the problem, there, is that there are maybe a thousand Leo drinkers in TT and you'd have to buy us all a bottle . . . it'd be rude not to 😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Yeah good for you. Most people I have spoken with, including my wife just beared with it. If it stung your neck or somewhere else that is a worry( manhood), then a hospital visit is recommended. Last time I got hit hard was in my neck and by a  dry large type bee riding on my bike. Got home, had a fast Heineken, and rode to the hospital for a shot. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Last time I got hit hard was in my neck and by a  dry large type bee riding on my bike. Got home, had a fast Heineken, and rode to the hospital for a shot. 

I got stung by wasps on my upper lip while clearing some weeds, It was like an instant botox injection at a beauty salon without having a fear of needles. Lasted about 6 hours.🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Dr Leo, maybe, but the problem, there, is that there are maybe a thousand Leo drinkers in TT and you'd have to buy us all a bottle . . . it'd be rude not to 😂

I went for a 2nd opinion from Dr Chang, Dr Leo's office was closed but lucky for me Dr Chang was available just down the lane🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

I got stung by wasps on my upper lip while clearing some weeds, It was like an instant botox injection at a beauty salon without having a fear of needles. Lasted about 6 hours.🙂

Not my idea of fun. 

• Like 1

Scoroions, huu, there was something, wait, ah here: 

Some arthropod toxins of spider and scorpion venoms potentiate erectile function  

so, question is: was it really an accident? ;-) 

Hope that hand can be used again, quickly.

For the pain, I think you just have to sit and wait it out

• Like 2

Seriously, The first scorpion sting for me, I grew up running around paddocks and being stung by wasps and bees more times than I can count, the wasps stings in Thailand dont bother me more than the initial shock, was stung 5 times in the foot and ankle here once and the local who was here that saw them buzzing around under the table I walked past was saying "go to doctor,go to hospital" She was scared shitless of them.

But the pain from the scorpion sting got unbearable after an hour of trying to continue on, I gave up and laid on the couch, and logged into thethaiger with a couple of Leo's in the fridge.

Even now at 9:00 night time, I can still feel the "pins & needles and it is uncomfortable,

These little buggers are dangerous, have found them inside bedding before too, so watch out.

Edited by Thaidup
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The tingle in the tip of the finger I was stung on stopped 5 days ago, Those little things pack a big punch. So it lasted almost a month for me, Not far off what the locals told me. I know for sure that it will happen again some time,I just hope its on the foot next time with the thicker skin.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, Thaidup said:

on my property and had a few close calls whilst moving stuff around before.

I have a rule here, I never 'move stuff around' outside,  or have any physical interaction with my garden, bar sitting in it.   I get a man to do 'stuff'.  Many moons ago, when I was young and stupid, instead of old and stupid, I did a 6 week jungle fighting course in Borneo.  I was bitten by everything imaginable and it put me off  bugs and  all crawly stuff for life. That's what got me into flying and doing my fighting sitting down and in comfort.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:55 PM, Noble_Design said:

I still remember my first sting though. It was Gold

Message in a bottle? Was my first ever "Sting" song🙂

On 3/30/2022 at 1:44 AM, Thaidup said:

Message in a bottle? Was my first ever "Sting" song🙂

Sadly I only listen to Fields of Gold and Every Breath You Take. Yes I know I only listen to the popular ones

• Like 1

Here's how I pick up scorpions. Tarantula's in the same manner. I never kill them, or snakes. I just remove them from the area.

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

Edited by Santa
  • Like 3

When serving our in the Oman in the early 70s we saw a scorpion and decided to encircle it with lighter fluid, we lit the fluid and watched, as we'd heard that they sting themselves to death, but the darn thing did nothing so someone put it out of its misery and stomped on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Santa said:

Here's how I pick up scorpions. Tarantula's in the same manner. I never kill them, or snakes. I just remove them from the area.

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

Tasty when fried crispy and crunchy. Best with a dash of fish sauce and lime juice 🤭

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I used to keep and work with scorpions. So I feel obliged to point out that of the scorpion has massive 'claws', like the forest scorpions, Heterometra, their reliance on their venom is downplayed. Whereas the ones with weak, slender claws, like the notorious Androctonus (literally: 'man killer') rely on a more potent venom. In any case, they don't seek to harm humans, and should be regarded with healthy and rational respect, not terror. Death by scorpion in extremely rare 

• Like 1

I have two ways to deal with scorpion stings, if the sting is to a woman I would suck it out and to a man I would use my trusty Swiss army knife.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 7:41 PM, Karolyn said:

I used to keep and work with scorpions. So I feel obliged to point out that of the scorpion has massive 'claws', like the forest scorpions, Heterometra, their reliance on their venom is downplayed. Whereas the ones with weak, slender claws, like the notorious Androctonus (literally: 'man killer') rely on a more potent venom. In any case, they don't seek to harm humans, and should be regarded with healthy and rational respect, not terror. Death by scorpion in extremely rare 

Ever been stung by these little things? I saw my wife was stung when she went to pick one up on kitchen floor thinking it was dead,(stepped on) and she ached only for hours, She kept on doing whatever she said she's used to them, compared to me, I had to drink Leo for 3 days to stop the pain.