Jump to content

News Forum - US hits Russia with “first tranche” of sanctions after Putin sends troops to Ukraine


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

The US has confirmed what it says are the “first tranche” of sanctions against Russia, following Moscow’s deployment of troops in eastern Ukraine. According to an AFP report, President Joe Biden announced the sanctions against 2 banks, as well as Russian oligarchs, describing the troop deployment as an invasion. Biden says the sanctions are in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin “carving out a big chunk of Ukraine”, warning that more will follow if Russia moves any further into Ukraine. The sanctions target Russia’s sovereign debt, removing the country’s access to Western financing, while also targeting 2 Russian banks and […]

The story US hits Russia with “first tranche” of sanctions after Putin sends troops to Ukraine as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is good, but I would make it more targeted and more personal.

I'd choose one or two of Putin's billionaire buddies, name them, and sanction them and their families into the poorhouse. Seriously, wipe out their companies entirely, grab all their land/property/assets being held outside of Russia, put them on a 'No Travel' list, and more.

General sanctions hurt all Russians. Targeted, lethal sanctions against Putin's inner circle cadres are better.

As the French say "Pour encourager les autres..."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Russia isn't stupid. They would have "priced" this in already to the cost whatever the end game is.

The UK imposed sanctions too, but the PM never really responded to the critical questions which surrounded them being largely toothless, as it did nothing to close down the dirty money laundromat and assets would have already been moved.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Putin won’t be fazed by sanctions. As others have said, he’s no fool and would have already bargained for such a response. 
 

The reason NATO finds itself in this situation is due to decades of failing defence policy. A naivety on the part of the West that following the fall of the Soviet Union, somehow Russia would follow The Western liberal democracy model. Deterrents only work if they are strong. NATO has been weakened over the past 30 years and this is what happens. Many Western European countries haven’t honoured the agreements to spend a specified portion of GDP on NATO and this is the result. Putin has seen the weakness, calculated the impact of sanctions and decided now is the time to strike. I’m sure Xi is doing the same calculation in relation to Taiwan. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would Thailand do if Malaysia sent in peacekeeping troops to the SBPs? Unfortunately, Ukraine alone is powerless to do resist the will of Moscow. This is truly sad and dangerous times indeed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Putin won’t be fazed by sanctions. As others have said, he’s no fool and would have already bargained for such a response. 
 

The reason NATO finds itself in this situation is due to decades of failing defence policy. A naivety on the part of the West that following the fall of the Soviet Union, somehow Russia would follow The Western liberal democracy model. Deterrents only work if they are strong. NATO has been weakened over the past 30 years and this is what happens. Many Western European countries haven’t honoured the agreements to spend a specified portion of GDP on NATO and this is the result. Putin has seen the weakness, calculated the impact of sanctions and decided now is the time to strike. I’m sure Xi is doing the same calculation in relation to Taiwan. 

Putin will not care one little bit. 

I am reminded of what the Prime Minister of Australia said many years ago, after he was verbally 'attacked' in Parliament by the Leader of the opposite Party (Andrew Peacock).  Paul Keating slowly rose to his feet and said in reply:  "Mister Speaker ..... being criticised by the Member for Kooyong, was like being slapped with warm lettuce."  Everyone laughed or giggled  - even members of Andrew's Party - he was a very classy and softly spoken man, and his attempt at a loud abusive tirade of criticism was just not in him.  Soft guys dont succeed in politics - he was ousted by John Howard who later became the PM. Andrew ended up some years later as the Ambassador to USA - hooked up with Shirley Maclean for a while.  RIP. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Putin will not care one little bit. 

I am reminded of what the Prime Minister of Australia said many years ago, after he was verbally 'attacked' in Parliament by the Leader of the opposite Party (Andrew Peacock).  Paul Keating slowly rose to his feet and said in reply:  "Mister Speaker ..... being criticised by the Member for Kooyong, was like being slapped with warm lettuce."  Everyone laughed or giggled  - even members of Andrew's Party - he was a very classy and softly spoken man, and his attempt at a loud abusive tirade of criticism was just not in him.  Soft guys dont succeed in politics - he was ousted by John Howard who later became the PM. Andrew ended up some years later as the Ambassador to USA - hooked up with Shirley Maclean for a while.  RIP. 

Correct. You can’t fight aggression with words. You need equally strong force to balance and counter people like Putin. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Russia isn't stupid. They would have "priced" this in already to the cost whatever the end game is.

Excellent observation Artemis080 Bud these sanctions are as much use as a chocolate fireguard or indicators on a Submarine. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Correct. You can’t fight aggression with words. You need equally strong force to balance and counter people like Putin. 

Same for Kim, Hlaing, Xi, and all other other 50+ dictators in the World. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

a new war of proxys...the reason us wanna steal russian gas business in europe...ukraine is in essence russia...

if they invade dont worry he happy...

us  politics provoke them ( the russians ) till they react and than put sanctions....

the biggest loosers: europe because they follow us war doctrine....gas and energy prices hiking 10 to 20 times...industrie break down etc etc..

the winner is china...soon they receive super cheap russian gas...that they will strengthen more..

new world order china first...

us in wars internal and external ( = democrats speciality )

the future...

europe in poverty soon instabile crime ridden corrupt..same like south america north africa

 

Edited by dingdong
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Cabra said:

What would Thailand do if Malaysia sent in peacekeeping troops to the SBPs? Unfortunately, Ukraine alone is powerless to do resist the will of Moscow. This is truly sad and dangerous times indeed.

actually ukraine belong to russia like california to the usa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

Putin has seen the weakness, calculated the impact of sanctions and decided now is the time to strike. I’m sure Xi is doing the same calculation in relation to Taiwan. 

amen to that, if I was President Xi, I will take the opportunity to invade Taiwan and make the US and the West look like the fools that they are

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

the red army kowtow's to nobody and never have done.

putin will not back down and in many ways sanctions are making a military conflict almost inevitable. 

conflict with the red army in their own back yard will only end one way.

we live in interesting times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, butterfly said:

amen to that, if I was President Xi, I will take the opportunity to invade Taiwan and make the US and the West look like the fools that they are

Fools in what way? By not keeping a strong military multinational coalition? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dingdong said:

actually ukraine belong to russia like california to the usa

You mean except for the fact California is a state in the US, while Ukraine is an international recognized independent country right? 
 

A better analogy would be if Cambodia declared the two eastern most provinces of Thailand are now independent countries. They are sending in troops as peacekeepers. After all those areas use to belong to the Khmer empire at one time and some speak the same language.  Of course Cambodia doesn’t have the military to pull that off like Russia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m assuming all sovereign and democratic countries will look to enforce some form of sanctions on Russia. As Thailand has very little clout in terms of sanctions, I expect they will at least ban all Russians from tourism in Thailand 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m assuming all sovereign and democratic countries will look to enforce some form of sanctions on Russia. As Thailand has very little clout in terms of sanctions, I expect they will at least ban all Russians from tourism in Thailand 🤔

Well maybe not the Russian gals you sometimes see walking around on the streets looking for customers. But it would be nice if Thailand did share some of this telling Russia- You Bad Boy, We need to spank you little bit now.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well maybe not the Russian gals you sometimes see walking around on the streets looking for customers. But it would be nice if Thailand did share some of this telling Russia- You Bad Boy, We need to spank you little bit now.

I was told most are from the Ukraine anyway. So let’s support and gives those girls a hand shall we 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Soidog said:

I was told most are from the Ukraine anyway. So let’s support and gives those girls a hand shall we 😉

Hahahah, I just knew you or someone would bring up that rumor. So be it, let people help support these gals as times are turning more dark today for the Ukraine as appears Putin is going in more and told the world to bug off or else face his military machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Hahahah, I just knew you or someone would bring up that rumor. So be it, let people help support these gals as times are turning more dark today for the Ukraine as appears Putin is going in more and told the world to bug off or else face his military machine.

Only word to describe Putin has four letters and starts with a “C”, ends in a “T” and has “U” and “N” in the middle 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Only word to describe Putin has four letters and starts with a “C”, ends in a “T” and has “U” and “N” in the middle 

You can add the word conniving and smelly.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 24

      News Forum - US military shoots down Chinese spy balloon

    2. 24

      News Forum - US military shoots down Chinese spy balloon

    3. 24

      News Forum - US military shoots down Chinese spy balloon

    4. 24

      News Forum - US military shoots down Chinese spy balloon

    5. 3

      News Forum - Wild boar creates chaos in Pattaya, still on the loose

  • New Topics

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use