News Forum - Foreign cyclist pronounced dead after being hit by pick up truck in Chon Buri

Thaiger

Officers from Huay Yai Provincial Police Station were notified of a road incident on the Sattahip – Korat road in  Bang Lamung district of Chon Buri. At the scene, one foreigner, who was believed to be a local expat, was found dead in a watercourse adjacent to the road. Thai media reported that the foreign victim was about 60 – 70 years old, but the police haven’t confirmed his identity or nationality at this stage. The police and rescue team investigated and found a broken bicycle, a black pickup truck, and the corpse of a foreign man in a cycling […]

The story Foreign cyclist pronounced dead after being hit by pick up truck in Chon Buri as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Probably not the best place to go riding a bike…

From what I'm seen of Thai roadways, there aren't many places I'd feel safe riding a bicycle.

• Like 8

I cannot believe anyone would ride a bicycle in Thailand - there have been many deaths over the years - most are in the media too.  Getting fit is one thing, but doing this in Thailand is lunacy. Ride around a park or something - stay away from the roads - especially the highways. RIP. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Probably not the best place to go riding a bike…

I know the area well as I used to cycle around Huay Yai regularly and reportedly he was on 331 which is the main road, parallel to Route 7, the expressway.

There are plenty of great cycling routes around Phoenix Golf, round Wat Yang, and out to Sattahip, but that part of 331 isn't suitable for cyclists as there's no hard shoulder in places and it's a main route for trucks.

• Like 3

I wonder what the driver will be charged with?  Reckless driving seems to be the charge for hitting anything on two wheels. But dead men tell no tales :-(  RIP

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

From what I'm seen of Thai roadways, there aren't many places I'd feel safe riding a bicycle.

I wouldn’t feel safe in an armoured personnel carrier driving in Thailand. I drove a car and a bike nearly every day I’m here. It’s highly dangerous and you need to be in defensive driving mode 100% of the time.    

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I wonder what the driver will be charged with?  Reckless driving seems to be the charge for hitting anything on two wheels. But dead men tell no tales :-(  RIP

I should add that since I used to cycle around there, 331 is now mainly a dual carriageway totally unsuitable for cycling, particularly if you're crossing from one lane to another as he appears to have been from the position of the bicycle in the nullah.

If the reports are correct, there's no reason the driver should be charged with anything.

There are some great, popular cycle routes round there but 331 isn't one of them - it'd be like going for a cycle round the North Circular round London, and changing lanes.

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

I cannot believe anyone would ride a bicycle in Thailand - there have been many deaths over the years - most are in the media too.  Getting fit is one thing, but doing this in Thailand is lunacy. Ride around a park or something - stay away from the roads - especially the highways. RIP. 

True, there are some roads in Thailand that I don't even feel safe driving on let alone cycle. 

• Like 1

Ther is only one way to tackle this problems, let the Thais know about traffic laws witch are in rule already and not let them get away with excuses! Make sure everyone follows the law period!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fortuner said:

Ther is only one way to tackle this problems, let the Thais know about traffic laws witch are in rule already and not let them get away with excuses! Make sure everyone follows the law period!

Law, law, law… not everything is about following the “law”. Aren’t there traffic accidents in the West? You’d be surprised to learn that if we only count road deaths from four wheel vehicles, the USA has slightly more road deaths than Thailand (in percentage). 

… The problem with Thailand is that you have relatively nice roads designed for speed, used by 21.5 million motos and around 11 million cars at the same time. You put those together and it spells trouble, specially for the motorbikes….

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

First: R.i.P

Second: Win Scherrenberg, I have a strong idea, where this guy came from.

Third: Anyone looked into the Pick Up Truck, checked the usually available Dash Cam, and b/c of assumingly not having an SC card in there, anymore, minimum searched the driver? 

• Like 1

Poor bugger. I go for a bike ride most days very early in the  morning to avoid traffic ,  l only ride around a relatively low traffic loop which is used by a few runners and other riders  in my area. I would dearly love to go on longer rides but to put it simply l am to scared to, drivers are just so unpredictable. I always expect the unexpected and never expect anything from local drivers. My condolences to this man’s family. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Fanta said:

I have seen many media reports of mainly western people injured or killed while riding a bicycle in Thailand.  But I have never heard of anyone who drove the vehicle involved being charged with anything serious . That is not to say they didnt - but I have never seen or heard of it happening.  

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

I wouldn’t feel safe in an armoured personnel carrier driving in Thailand. I drove a car and a bike nearly every day I’m here. It’s highly dangerous and you need to be in defensive driving mode 100% of the time.    

Absolutely true - 100%.  And you need a fair amount of good luck - and a zero amount of bad luck. 

• Like 1

He claimed that he was in the right lane driving towards Bang Saen. He noticed a truck on the left lane and then suddenly saw the cyclist changing his direction to the left lane. The driver told police that he’d seen the man but couldn’t stop in time.

I'm confused.
The driver was driving in the right lane and the cyclist changed to the left lane.

So when he hit the cyclist, he was in the right lane and the cyclist was in the left lane?

I did a trip with two friends in 2012 riding motorbikes from Bangkok to Pattaya, then to Chiang Mai and back to Bangkok. It was a great experience but I did have a few close calls.

I was a very experienced rider (over 25 years) but I found that you need to change the way you ride in Thailand to stay out of trouble.

1. Ride at the same speed as the majority of traffic no matter what the speed limit is and

2. Have eyes everywhere including in the back of your head 😬😬😬.

I also found the road surface in some areas of Thailand to be very smooth reducing grip, I had a few slippery moments that got the heart racing.

I don't think I would ride in Pattaya or Bangkok again, I'm a bit more cautious these days. 

18 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Law, law, law… not everything is about following the “law”. Aren’t there traffic accidents in the West? You’d be surprised to learn that if we only count road deaths from four wheel vehicles, the USA has slightly more road deaths than Thailand (in percentage). 

… The problem with Thailand is that you have relatively nice roads designed for speed, used by 21.5 million motos and around 11 million cars at the same time. You put those together and it spells trouble, specially for the motorbikes….

Spot on - never had a problem driving in Thailand simply because I can drive! 

I’ve had one issue in many years when a bike went up my inside whilst I was indicating left (the Thaiger Sage still thinks it was my fault😂) - however apart from that enjoy driving here. 

The roads here are generally better than the pit holed ridden U.K.. 

• Like 1