Unregistered bike

Jace666

Hi, I'm using a friend's bike, shes not sure if it's registered or not, ther are no papers or sticker on the bike, so if I get stopped,obviously the owner will get a fine but will I also?

If it's not registered, then very doubtful it's taxed or Insured.
The rider always pays the on the spot fines.
If you have an accident, I hope you have deep pockets.

• Like 2

If you are caught by the police, You will be the one taken back to the police station with the vehicle, and you will have to pay the fine on the spot.

I was caught out once with a hire car, the police said I should have checked it before I hired it.🙂

Edited by Thaidup

On 2/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, Transam said:

If it has a plate, then it is registered

Wrong. Same as in Aus Eng or USA.

In Thailand it is very common for vehicle owners to let the registration laps, they can be unregistered and uninsured for years, especially motorcycles.

Edited by Thaidup

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, Jace666 said:

Hi, I'm using a friend's bike, shes not sure if it's registered or not, ther are no papers or sticker on the bike, so if I get stopped,obviously the owner will get a fine but will I also?

Omg Just don’t even go there ! Just read the posts here re. Potential Financial Liability after Accident plus Jail. Rent a proper NEW bike from recommended hirer showing you ALL necessary docs: Owner Green Book/ Inspection & Tax Cert  / Maintenance Record / 1st Class Comp. Insurance  / Bail Bond, plus you must have a legal Driving License to validate Insurance. 

On 3/20/2022 at 11:52 PM, oldschooler said:

you must have a legal Driving License

This is where I assume OP already goes in the 'wrong'. 
@Jace666can you validate that you have a motor license + IDP - Otherwise your not allowed to drive anyways.

Good answers have been given throughout the thread.

15 hours ago, Shark said:

validate that you have a motor license + IDP

Even if he has an IDP it becomes invalid for insurance purposes after 3 months of being in Thailand. A Thai license must be obtained to be legal if you want full insurance.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/driving-licences#:~:text=Note%3A Although International Driving Licences,driving on a foreign licence.

3 hours ago, Santa said:

Even if he has an IDP it becomes invalid for insurance purposes after 3 months of being in Thailand. A Thai license must be obtained to be legal if you want full insurance.

Your right here but if he comes as a tourist he might want to stay shorter than this period.

• Like 1