News Forum - The Role of Embassies For Foreigners in Thailand

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/MQW_TTmWyxA What is the role of embassies in Thailand and when do we need them as a foreigner or expat in Thailand? Are some embassies better than others? Tim sits with Ben Hart from Integrity legal to find out the use of embassies in Thailand.

The story The Role of Embassies For Foreigners in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Dutch embassies exist mainly to promote trade between the country they are in and the Netherlands.

They are also supposed to help Dutch citizens that run into trouble. Missing passports, serious illness, legal support that sort of things. They only do that because they have to. But they make you feel that they absolutely do not like it.

• Like 1

In my experience of Embassy's here the American Embassy are the only ones that actually assist thier citizens by holding meetings in various cities throughout thailand

Embassies are there to help citizens when they run into real trouble (not being able to renew your visa is not their concern). The US embassy in THA has a list of services they provide US citizens. Pick one, make an appointment, and done. Easy. I've used them a few times to notarize forms and documents.

List of stuffs that I have had the opportunity to get done with my embassy, well actually more like the consular section that got it done:

1) Renew passport due to Covid-19 enforced no travelling back to home to do it

2) Documents and notarization related to marriage in Thailand

3) Register my marriage in my country after getting the married in Thailand

4) Register birth of my kid so she can benefit from dual nationality

5) Notarize some documents for my family back home to sell my car

Embassies are very specialized and only offer a limited range of services.

Everything else is not supported so citizens cannot expect support from them outside their limited services.

BUT, it's very disappointing that spouses have to fly to Bangkok to get Biometrics.

Edited by Bangkok

A lot of misunderstanding. The Embassy (Ambassador) represents his/her country and gouvernment. It does not help their citizens. That is the role of the consulate and consuls.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geo said:

British Embassy non existent, no help unless really have to. Easiest job on the planet

They do much good work with repatriating hospital & prison cases.