News Forum - Thailand will purchase stealth jets if United States okays

Thaiger

Thailand will purchase Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth jets if the United States approves it. In January, Thailand set aside US$413 million for four jets, but one Thai air marshal said Thailand wants to buy as many as eight. A US State Department spokesperson said the department doesn’t confirm or comment on proposed transfers or sales until congress has been formally notified about them. The F-35 is considered a highly sensitive export the United States only sells to its closest allies. The only countries in the Indo-pacific that have purchased these jets from the United States are Australia, Japan, South Korea, […]

The story Thailand will purchase stealth jets if United States okays as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hmm.. Likelihood of the US Government approving the sale of F35 aircraft to a country that is buying submarines from the Peoples Republic of China....  Zero I would say. One would say a total lack of foresight from the Thai military government. Maybe the Chinese will sell them some of their state of the art F35 clones? I doubt that too. 

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

Thai government thinking

Spend 413 milllion dollars on 4 jets or spend the money on the thai people that has suffered through this pandemic.

Buy the jets.

That's more important.

PLEASE ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

• Like 6

Amazing that a country that is reeling from Covid and its inherant debt can even be thinking about such things. 

Definitely in fantasy land again, must be the same people who fantasized about the hundreds of quality millionaires rushing to Thailand to live with their 30 million baht mates that are now going to set up business here.

My ex brother in law and his ideas for making "squillions" (with my money} had nothing on this lot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I would gather the USA will say no as Thailand is way too close the CCP, and they do not want one of these jets being disected and reverse engineered. But if they do by some weird decision, there will be a lot of stipulations and overseeing done by the USA making sure they walk the line correctly.

• Like 1

Who are they going to fight with?  Laos?  Cambodia?  Myanmar?

They can win that also without these jets.

Edited by dimitri
  • Like 1

At a cost of about 100 million USD each (8 of these 800M usd), what international threat other than covid is Thailand concerned about?

Research shows that each flight hour costs about 33K usd not considering exorbitant maintenance costs. 

This is as smart as Thailand wanting to buy a fleet of nuclear submarines. 

Is Thailand going to self insure if they buy and one or more of these stealth jets crashes?

Thailand government cannot afford to take care of its' own poor starving people or the hundreds of thousands living on the streets but the junta military government wants to have military toys they can show off but will never have any practical use.

Government idiots one cell brains at work.  

Only thing they know about space is the area between their ears.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

It's spare funds from the failed submarine purchase I suppose. They have to spend it on something. Just don't give it to TAT! THey've wasted enough money in the last two years!!!

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

but one Thai air marshal said Thailand wants to buy as many as eight

Good luck with that, Thailand. Taking in account your close and even growing closer relationship with China, I am not so certain, that you will get this jets!

• Like 2

Four jets, at first it didn’t make sense to me but now I understand, they are using the Thai Airways approach to requirements planning.  By four jets, use three for spare parts, works for TG quite well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand will purchase Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth jets if the United States approves it. In January, Thailand set aside US$413 million for four jets, but one Thai air marshal said Thailand wants to buy as many as eight. A US State Department spokesperson said the department doesn’t confirm or comment on proposed transfers or sales until congress has been formally notified about them. The F-35 is considered a highly sensitive export the United States only sells to its closest allies. The only countries in the Indo-pacific that have purchased these jets from the United States are Australia, Japan, South Korea, […]

The story Thailand will purchase stealth jets if United States okays as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Who are they gonna snoop?

You’re forgetting a possible reason for this seemingly ridiculous proposal. Incentives! Politicians need to be incentivized, the Air Force needs to be incentivized and the aircraft manufacturer needs to help the Air Force to help the politicians. We all need motivation ;-) Who cares if it never comes to fruition? Apart from the motivational foreigners who are always shy to admit they motivate others to buy their products.

Edited by Fanta
Logic

15 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Hmm.. Likelihood of the US Government approving the sale of F35 aircraft to a country that is buying submarines from the Peoples Republic of China....  Zero I would say. One would say a total lack of foresight from the Thai military government. Maybe the Chinese will sell them some of their state of the art F35 clones? I doubt that too. 

Great point regarding the Chinese. I think this is classic Thai foreign policy of playing both sides and walking the line of  appearing friendly to everyone. 

I wouldn’t like to see the US sell such technology to Thailand or any country who’s military or political leaders show little regard for human rights and does little or nothing to address high levels of corruption.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

Looking forward to visiting one of the jets in five years when it is turned into a coffee stand or mobile bar.

• Haha 7

Complete waste of money, so they buy 8 jets that if a war should happen they would be useless and blown out of the sky by superior forces within hours, thailand is a low defense country and would not last a week in a real war, save the money for taking care of it's own people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Great point regarding the Chinese. I think this is classic Thai foreign policy of playing both sides and walking the line of  appearing friendly to everyone. 

I wouldn’t like to see the US sell such technology to Thailand or any country who’s military or political leaders show little regard for human rights and does little or nothing to address high levels of corruption.  

To buy anything from China coming with big risk because they are not able or capable to build alone an aircraft, warship or submarine. Their big mouth and propaganda bites them but reality is the opposite and the world put the nasty empty head boys on the radar. They cannot supply anything if they troubling around thats why they cannot supply their submarines because Germany said no, the same is with any warship because the same supplier and with aircrafts the same. Also some has to understand chips tech or semiconducter tech. So would order if the order will be uncertain when the low life ccp china dogs falling over their own propaganda and troubleing around. They are biting the wrong hands. Because everybody of them is a liar and based on propaganda they even doesn't know anymore what is the reality outside and inside the country. This local governments inside in China are not allowed to present bad news so they always send fake news to Bejing with th result they make wrong decisions because of wrong facts they destroy themself, their own country, own economy and will be impossible to govern. They are their worst enemy.

Ahem, last time Thailand took on Lao the Thai army was sent packing after a fight that didn't last too long. The US Embassy, Vientiane people all turned out to watch as the rag tag Lao army sent them running. The US might as well sell direct to China instead of selling to Thailand as China reps would be right there in the hanger as soon as the Americans turned their backs. 

Besides

F-35-GOES-DOWN-750x400 - Copy (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2