News Forum - Survival Guide: How much does it cost to live in Thailand?

Thaiger

Thailand gets a lot of attention as a fantastic travel destination in Southeast Asia; it’s also a great place to call home. The most common questions before moving to a new country include, “How much is it going to cost me?” and, “Is X amount enough each month?” While there are no fixed amounts, we are here to help paint the picture. There are many factors to consider and we’ll cover the basics in this post. So without further ado, here’s a shortlist of common expenses for life in Thailand. Rent Let’s get the elephant out of the room. This […]

The story Survival Guide: How much does it cost to live in Thailand? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Rent Let’s get the elephant out of the room

before it's dumps everywhere .. and don't let it near the road or you'll get fined for letting it get run over .. 

Transportation bit .. save on taxi , baht bus and suicide motorcycle taxi bike fares by using a jet pack for getting around .. 

Haircut .. if you're follicles are challenged don't worry about this bit .. if they are not take some clippers and do it yourself .. the last Thai bird who cut my hair spent about an hour fannying about and I still came out looking lopsided .. 

Healthcare you might need depending on how many diseases you acquire on your perambulations ..

The bit they've missed on is the trouble and strife which can induce heart attacks and madness with their frivolous spending if you cop for an unsuitable one .. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Village life: After building your house and buying your car... you only need 30,000 baht per month for the basics. 

City Life: Double that for rent, transportation, and all the rest for a decent life in Thailand city life. 

Increase from their based upon how luxury you want your life to be. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 3

I usually spend about 100k/mo and live in the country, but we do everything we want. I drink very little and we're not into the party scene.

Others live for much less.

We live very well on 120,000 a month, but it also depends on your capital assets, for example, we own our own house  and cars outright, so no debt repayments to make. We also do very little in terms of supporting family hangers on, very very little. 

Comparing London to Bangkok, I found that rent is about half in Bangkok for a place of similar size and quality (high-end, spacious accommodation, although to be fair, if we're comparing Sukhumvit to Mayfair, the disparity would be greater). Eating out is vastly cheaper, taxis and other forms of transport also vastly cheaper. Clothing substantially cheaper unless you're shopping in Siam Paragon / Emquartier etc.

Groceries, toiletries, electric goods and suchlike, the cost tends to be similar. Pubs and nightclubs the alcohol often costs more than it does in London pubs. Cars are vastly more expensive, but in Bangkok you don't need a car as taxis are so cheap. Petrol (gasoline for the Americans amongst us) also much cheaper. 

Overall, looking at my monthly spend in the two cities, Bangkok works out about 35% cheaper than London all in. 

And then there's the biggie, if you're working in Thailand: the taxation is much, much lower. That's often mitigated by a lower salary in Thailand than you'd get for the same job in London, but in my experience the net, after tax income in Thailand ended up being larger than the net after tax income in London despite a disparity in the gross income.

Obviously my experience, while perhaps valid for people living in high-end accommodation with a full social life and holding down a skilled, professional job would not necessarily hold true for someone looking to maintain a lower cost base with more modest accommodation and a more restrained lifestyle.

• Like 3

They didn't mention a few other recurring monthly expenses... Wifi (with optional TV box) and utilities (typically electricity and water). In Bangkok that will set you back about 400-500 baht per month for basic wifi and TV box (from True or AIS) and another 1000 to 1500 baht per month for electricity (if you use the Aircon obsessively expect closer to 3000 baht per month in a smallish 35-40sq.m condo). Water is a quarterly expense and usually runs about 200-400 baht per quarter. You can certainly pay a lot more (or a little less) depending on packages and usage, this is just my experience.

2 hours ago, js89 said:

Eating out is vastly cheaper,  Clothing substantially cheaper unless you're shopping in Siam Paragon / Emquartier etc.

Eating out at higher end restaurants is actually more expensive, IMO

Sure, eating in a local casual place and on the street is vastly cheaper and I love them

But when we go out , we like to eat a nicer places for dinner and it can be more expensive in Thailand and vastly more expensive if you want a decent bottle of wine.

As for clothes, if you are buying regular brand name clothes from Western retail stores, it is as expensive or more in Thailand

I know from shopping with my wife for many years

But doubly so with having a stepson in University, Thai knock-offs no linger suffice  :)

Might as well ask “ how to live your life in Thailand” ?
Literally “ how long is a piece of string” ?

Everybody will have a different income /requirements/cost profile.

One Hundred Variables. Only that person can research & construct a monthly budget after Location & Capital Buy decisions made.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

One Hundred Variables. Only that person can research & construct a monthly budget after Location & Capital Buy decisions made.

Yup, very true 

And none are more right than the others.

It's what you want and what you can afford, and some can afford but don't want to spend it, happy to live moderately

But I will work an extra 2-3, hell 5 years more than I have to, to have a good cushion to do what I want, even I don't end up spending it, I never want to be limited....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yup, very true 

And none are more right than the others.

It's what you want and what you can afford, and some can afford but don't want to spend it, happy to live moderately

But I will work an extra 2-3, hell 5 years more than I have to, to have a good cushion to do what I want, even I don't end up spending it, I never want to be limited....

That's what I did. However, I enjoyed working and it was rewarding. I also had earned significant time off benefits, and my employer knew if I didn't get my 5 weeks to come to Thailand I'd retire immediately. I had the best of both. 

After I retired I realized that I actually had more disposable income than before with a lot fewer obligations. So life is good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Eating out at higher end restaurants is actually more expensive, IMO

Sure, eating in a local casual place and on the street is vastly cheaper and I love them

But when we go out , we like to eat a nicer places for dinner and it can be more expensive in Thailand and vastly more expensive if you want a decent bottle of wine.

As for clothes, if you are buying regular brand name clothes from Western retail stores, it is as expensive or more in Thailand

I know from shopping with my wife for many years

But doubly so with having a stepson in University, Thai knock-offs no linger suffice  :)

My  wife studied fashion designing and knows value. Kind of drives me nuts at times. But now she only buys for grandkids. With high mail prices we usually send cash.

I've also been to very expensive restaurants in the US. Generally cost in Thailand is much lower, but we usually eat Thai. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldschooler said:

The question is often asked... I've always looked at the question, as more of a question how little can I live for a basic life in Thailand. Usually the questioner essentially wants to know what are the basic costs. Then one naturally builds up from there based upon their own financial abilities and preferences. And in Thailand the breakdown, as I see it, always comes down to two types of living... rural/village life vs. cosmopolitan/city life. 

Speaking for myself as my chosen way of life in the village... after building my basic home and purchased a car, the answer for me is, I truly have a hard time spending more than 30,000 baht per month. 

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

My  wife studied fashion designing and knows value. Kind of drives me nuts at times. But now she only buys for grandkids. With high mail prices we usually send cash.

I've also been to very expensive restaurants in the US. Generally cost in Thailand is much lower, but we usually eat Thai. 

Mall Western Brand Shops like Camel & North Face etc. have regular seasonal or end of line or closing down sales. Wait for those.🤨 Similarly, for Food, Malls have all the Quality Restaurants for all budgets. Off to the Weekend Sizzler Salad Bar, Unlimited high end salads for 200 baht.😎

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Most true high end restaurants in Bangkok

A lot are in the 4 and 5 star hotels are as expensive or more expensive than the same type restaurant in the US

For example 

I think the only true proper steak house in Bangkok is New York Steakhouse in JW Marriott 

(I think there has been a couple new high end steal places opened in the last 4-5 years but I haven't tried them)

It is a lot more expensive than actual steakhouses in NYC

By the way, it is excellent

But extremely expensive 

57106b876eaf_nysh-menu-update-1-feb-2022.pdf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

lways comes down to two types of living... rural/village life vs. cosmopolitan/city life. 

Yes, but there is a middle location. I live just inland (15km) from Sattahip, 35km from Pattaya. Yes it is a rural location, not a City, but not village isolated such as in parts of Issan.  Its maybe a little cheaper than say Patt's itself. Houses maybe  tend to be a bit cheaper around here, but for a bigger place/more space, no condos in the immediate vicinity.  Travel costs a bit higher I guess and you really do need a car to get around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

The question is often asked... I've always looked at the question, as more of a question how little can I live for a basic life in Thailand. Usually the questioner essentially wants to know what are the basic costs. Then one naturally builds up from there based upon their own financial abilities and preferences. And in Thailand the breakdown, as I see it, always comes down to two types of living... rural/village life vs. cosmopolitan/city life. 

Speaking for myself as my chosen way of life in the village... after building my basic home and purchased a car, the answer for me is, I truly have a hard time spending more than 30,000 baht per month. 

Good “top down” analysis. Have same Capital Profile. Chosen I guess your “cosmopolitan” / Tropical Expat Island  Lifestyle. Mid level, no Yachts, Golfing, Mansions, No HISO -type Servants/ Fashion / Events. Lady + Son. Seaview Pool Villa. Average Budget 50k month.

Kid Homeschooled by us. With Private School & Modest HISO profile, spend could easily rise to 100k monthly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Most true high end restaurants in Bangkok

A lot are in the 4 and 5 star hotels are as expensive or more expensive than the same type restaurant in the US

For example 

I think the only true proper steak house in Bangkok is New York Steakhouse in JW Marriott 

(I think there has been a couple new high end steal places opened in the last 4-5 years but I haven't tried them)

It is a lot more expensive than actual steakhouses in NYC

By the way, it is excellent

But extremely expensive 

57106b876eaf_nysh-menu-update-1-feb-2022.pdf 2.35 MB · 1 download

Steak House ! Formerly a big fan before switching to healthier plant based diet with no red meat.

SAM’S at Holiday Inn (Patong). Top End. Caesar Salad made at your table……😀made the mistake of dining there with glamorous ex GF on vacation years ago.she wanted to have dinner there EVERY night ! 50k steak house bill for that holiday!😫

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Steak House ! Formerly a big fan before switching to healthier plant based diet with no red meat.

Oh dear, commiserations my friend. 🤣

You won't live longer, it will just seem like it. It's akin to giving up sex.  😀

12 hours ago, oldschooler said:

SAM’S at Holiday Inn (Patong). Top End. Caesar Salad made at your table……😀made the mistake of dining there with glamorous ex GF on vacation years ago.she wanted to have dinner there EVERY night ! 50k steak house bill for that holiday!😫

Sam's was pretty good

I still wouldn't put it in the same category as as NYC Steakhouse in the JW

Although I think the best steak in Patong was at 9th Floor, which looks to be permanently closed

That is a shame, that was a great place 

But I think Patong has awesome moderately priced restaurants 

Our favorite is Da Rico

The clams there are amazing!

And the guy who runs it is the best

http://www.patongitalianrestaurants.com/

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Sam's was pretty good

I still wouldn't put it in the same category as as NYC Steakhouse in the JW

Although I think the best steak in Patong was at 9th Floor, which looks to be permanently closed

That is a shame, that was a great place 

But I think Patong has awesome moderately priced restaurants 

Our favorite is Da Rico

The clams there are amazing!

And the guy who runs it is the best

http://www.patongitalianrestaurants.com/

My fav Italian was ROMA on Patong beach road with Chef Mauro😀

mothers here have said 9th Floor was the best in Patong ..

35 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

My fav Italian was ROMA on Patong beach road with Chef Mauro😀

mothers here have said 9th Floor was the best in Patong ..

Drove by it many times

Never tried it 

19 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Drove by it many times

Never tried it 

It's alrighty but IMO overpriced. I was 14 days in Phuket. Didn't like Phuket at all, tried ROMA, alrighty but quite expensive. 

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind spending whatever to drive a 600HP car, but spending  900 THB for quite a small pizza in Thailand hurts a lot, lol. 

3 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

It's alrighty but IMO overpriced. I was 14 days in Phuket. Didn't like Phuket at all, tried ROMA, alrighty but quite expensive. 

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind spending whatever to drive a 600HP car, but spending  900 THB for quite a small pizza in Thailand hurts a lot, lol. 

There is absolutely nowhere that you spent 900 baht for a pizza

Zero chance......