Huge 300ft tall turbine crashes to the ground at Welsh wind farm

Bluesofa

A huge 300ft wind turbine collapsed at a wind farm near Gilfach Goch. [near Bridgend]

Photos taken at the Pant Y Wal wind farm on Monday morning (February 14) show the huge turbine lying on the ground, separated from its base with its blades completely destroyed.

The turbine is thought to have crashed to the ground in the early hours of Monday, with some local residents reporting hearing loud noises coming from the wind farm throughout the night.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/huge-300ft-tall-turbine-crashes-to-the-ground-at-welsh-wind-farm/ar-AATS1FZ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

You mean ACDC?

You've grounded me with that one Mr Sofa ..

I notice some funny symbols around your Bluesofa avatar ! so what's happening there then .. 

• Like 1

It says that 'Storm Eunice' will be upgraded................to what, Storm Dudley, why not Storm Cyril or Storm Humphrey. Isn't it about time that the UK started to man up on the names of Storms, we are becoming a laughing stock when it comes to naming storms. Can I suggest Storm Beelzebub or Satan, the fact of the matter is, that most 'storms' in the UK are little more than breezes or a gust at best.

I remember the last storm we had in the UK and the best that the media could come up with was showing a wheelie bin that had been blown over.

So we know that Storm Eunice caused the malfunction of the blades, my guess is the blade bearing collapsed, here is a photo of the size of the bearing, curse you Eunice.

images-2.jpeg.2e457e622777097b3805d653e30fdb50.jpeg

However this is the actual footage of one of the worst storms in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

You've grounded me with that one Mr Sofa ..

I notice some funny symbols around your Bluesofa avatar ! so what's happening there then .. 

Nah, I was bored and started doodling.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

It says that 'Storm Eunice' will be upgraded................to what, Storm Dudley, why not Storm Cyril or Storm Humphrey. Isn't it about time that the UK started to man up on the names of Storms, we are becoming a laughing stock when it comes to naming storms. Can I suggest Storm Beelzebub or Satan, the fact of the matter is, that most 'storms' in the UK are little more than breezes or a gust at best.

I remember the last storm we had in the UK and the best that the media could come up with was showing a wheelie bin that had been blown over.

So we know that Storm Eunice caused the malfunction of the blades, my guess is the blade bearing collapsed, here is a photo of the size of the bearing, curse you Eunice.

The next ones will be called Franklin, Gladys, Herman.

"ere Gladys, that were a right storm last night."
Gladys: "They always say that. I know how to keep you satisfied."

source:  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-storm-centre/index 

• Haha 3

When turbines suffer erectile dysfunction ..

what happened to the one in Bridgend in the Wales is not a one off by all accounts .. and judging by the one in the pic they could be right .. latest on the Bridgend collapse is Nordex who made the thing have sent a team to understand what has happened to it and are looking at connection bolts between the base upright and the 2nd section .. personally I'd wrap some duct tape around it as well just to be on the safe side when they get it up again .. 

IMG_20220217_184847.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

When turbines suffer erectile dysfunction ..

what happened to the one in Bridgend in the Wales is not a one off by all accounts .. and judging by the one in the pic they could be right .. latest on the Bridgend collapse is Nordex who made the thing have sent a team to understand what has happened to it and are looking at connection bolts between the base upright and the 2nd section .. personally I'd wrap some duct tape around it as well just to be on the safe side when they get it up again ..

Duck tape? You must be quackers.

• Haha 1