News Forum - Thailand hopeful to draw Indian tourists with new travel bubble

Thaiger

Thailand hopes to fix its plundered tourism economy by drawing in more Indian tourists with a new plan between the two countries known as the Thai-Indian Air Travel Bubble. A spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said the ATB will give extra convenience to people travelling between Thailand and India, even though there are still some Covid-19 restrictions. In the past, Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports predicted there would be 20% more Indian visitors in Thailand in 2030. Thailand especially wants to gain young, sophisticated, professional tourists from India. The vice president of the Tourism Council of […]

The story Thailand hopeful to draw Indian tourists with new travel bubble as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Unless I am mistaken low quality tourist money looks the same as high quality tourist money, both go into the Thai economy and neither leave with the tourist. And bubbles burst when you squeeze them. It could also be just another xenophobic excuse for financial mismanagement by the government - those rich and dirty foreigners are just too greedy to come to Thailand. 

Edited by Fanta
Rationale for “rich tourism drive”
  • Like 1

looks like the Government has given up on China so they tried Saudi no joy there so 3rd chance try Indians again. Where you can see them sharing a bottle of water from 7-11 and a full family staying in 1 room in a hotel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Easterneye said:

That’s great news ,, import one of the most highly infected lot on the planet 

Might as well have a travel bubble with France, UK, USA and Brazil while their at it 🤣... 

• Like 1

Yes because Thailand has been very successful in attracting young, sophisticated and professional tourists from every other country. 

What exactly is a professional tourist? I remember Alan Whicker and Judith Chalmers. I suppose you could describe them as professional tourists.

Although Judith Chalmers just seemed to go to different countries and eat so professional eater would probably be closer to it.  

• Haha 2

Should provide good opportunities for forward looking tourism operators.

bars and 7/11's should be stocking up with kingfisher beer and mumbai duck now.

Edited by Cathat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

What exactly is now the difference between the test and go and the bubble? What would be the point that the Indian travellers would not choose their own tropical destinations or the maledives ir the seychelles? Because for high end travellers the maledives not have all this hoops and traps but a high end infrastructure. So on what fact is their hope founded?

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 7:53 AM, Thaiger said:

Thailand hopes to fix its plundered tourism economy by drawing in more Indian tourists with a new plan between the two countries known as the Thai-Indian Air Travel Bubble. A spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said the ATB will give extra convenience to people travelling between Thailand and India, even though there are still some Covid-19 restrictions. In the past, Thailand’s Ministry of Tourism and Sports predicted there would be 20% more Indian visitors in Thailand in 2030. Thailand especially wants to gain young, sophisticated, professional tourists from India. The vice president of the Tourism Council of […]

The story Thailand hopeful to draw Indian tourists with new travel bubble as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I find this laughable. Is this really an attempt to get wealthy tourists in the country? The proportion of Indian millionaires vis-a-vis the population is miniscule. So this bubble is likely to attract the not so rich - mass tourism some call it. Wasn't this that they wanted to get away from?

TAT must be desperate to come up with a "plan" like this.

25 minutes ago, Stardust said:

What exactly is now the difference between the test and go and the bubble? What would be the point that the Indian travellers would not choose their own tropical destinations or the maledives ir the seychelles? Because for high end travellers the maledives not have all this hoops and traps but a high end infrastructure. So on what fact is their hope founded?

No facts, just hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 2:46 PM, Fundok said:

I find this laughable. Is this really an attempt to get wealthy tourists in the country? The proportion of Indian millionaires vis-a-vis the population is miniscule. So this bubble is likely to attract the not so rich - mass tourism some call it. Wasn't this that they wanted to get away from?

TAT must be desperate to come up with a "plan" like this.

Well it just depends which day you are referring to as the Thai authorities are just morons, Indians from India are a low spending visitors, frequent 7-11s and the street food sellers, crowd into cheap hotel rooms and share a motor bike!!! and it goes on. TAT hasn't got the slightest idea of reality so I say sack them all and bring in a professional group to properly market & attract the desired tourist!!! After the government stop changing the entry rules. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 6:53 AM, Thaiger said:

known as the Thai-Indian Air Travel Bubble.

TIATB .. as an acronym not one easily enjoyed .. personally I'd have gone for the Bhaji Somtam Bubble or BSB ..

• Haha 1

The answer to the question why open up yo low spending tourists from India is simple. Tat want to be able to say look at the large num ers of tourists that are coming to Thailand, we are open again and the numbers show we are booming. The fact that the economic numbers don't match the number of arrivals will be quietly overlooked. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulw said:

Well it just depends which day you are referring to as the Thai authorities are just morons, Indians from India are a low spending visitors, frequent 7-11s and the street food sellers, crowd into cheap hotel rooms and share a motor bike!!! and it goes on. TAT hasn't got the slightest idea of reality so I say sack them all and bring in a professional group to properly market & attract the desired tourist!!! After the government stop changing the entry rules. 

TAT's data on tourists spending disagrees with you:

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/News-link.php?nid=3627

https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/more_news_new.php?cid=330&page=4

image.thumb.png.692a882bdf80aa9cee101cbf6857375b.png

On average Indian tourists spend per day more than almost all European tourists. 

And also this: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/870728/indian-weddings-becoming-a-big-business-in-thailand

Mr Singh and his wife are among the hundreds of Indian couples annually who choose Thailand as their wedding destination, each spending millions of baht to host lavish ceremonies — some going up to 100 million baht — which usually last for several days.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:10 AM, Paulw said:

Another pointless exercise wooing one of the smallest spending tourists on the planet, when will they ever learn!! or won't they? 

If you compare that to the 2 week vacation naughty tourists who spend $200+++ per day, nearly all of it into the local economy. ie the non quality tourists they want to get rid of.

1 hour ago, Noble_Design said:

On average Indian tourists spend per day more than almost all European tourists. 

And also this: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/870728/indian-weddings-becoming-a-big-business-in-thailand

For a total of 7 days. Also to note that There are 2 distinct classes of Indian tourists. ie the big wedding tourists and the 5 to a room Pattaya tourists spending $20 per day.  The Euro/Aus/US tourist spending an average of 16 days so overall spending more money, not only that, more money on what you might call the black market which ends up in the Korat villages.

1 minute ago, steve99 said:

For a total of 7 days. Also to note that There are 2 distinct classes of Indian tourists. ie the big wedding tourists and the 5 to a room Pattaya tourists spending $20 per day.  The Euro/Aus/US tourist spending an average of 16 days so overall spending more money, not only that, more money on what you might call the black market which ends up in the Korat villages.

Not only this but take everyone away other than the high paying Indian tourists and the place will be 90% empty. The vacuum will not suck in more mega rich Indians. 

17 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Firstly there are always exceptions and TAT get numbers from a place where the sun doesnt shine, they have continually proved this over & over. I am speaking from personal experience living in a tourist region and noting which ethnic groups are the spenders and the non spenders, I am generalising as like I said there are exceptions to the rule from all nationalities. Yes 1% of them may hang out in the Louis Vuitton store or the shops in Paragon Siam but I am generally speaking. I absolutely disbelieve that Indian tourists overall spending per capita is greater than that of European's! Thats not just in the malls but includes hospitality & travel expenses. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paulw said:

Firstly there are always exceptions and TAT get numbers from a place where the sun doesnt shine, they have continually proved this over & over. I am speaking from personal experience living in a tourist region and noting which ethnic groups are the spenders and the non spenders, I am generalising as like I said there are exceptions to the rule from all nationalities. Yes 1% of them may hang out in the Louis Vuitton store or the shops in Paragon Siam but I am generally speaking. I absolutely disbelieve that Indian tourists overall spending per capita is greater than that of European's! Thats not just in the malls but includes hospitality & travel expenses. 

Fair enough, you are allowed to believe what you see fit.

I will too having spoken to some fellers from Chennai on my last trip. So where does all the tourist spending come from?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 2/15/2022 at 9:10 AM, Noble_Design said:

According to that chart, the US had 500,000 fewer visitors than India, but had a larger amount in receipts. 1% big spenders don't make up for the rest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

According to that chart, the US had 500,000 fewer visitors than India, but had a larger amount in receipts. 1% big spenders don't make up for the rest.

The total tourism receipts depends on 3 things = Number of arrivals x Length of stay x Spending per day.

The US had about 500K less visitors than India and also lower per day spending but made up for it with a longer length of stay. Which is logical considering the travelling time from the US to Thailand easily takes 20-24 hours with connecting flights whereas the distance from India to Thailand is only 2-3 hours.

Knowing that India wins in terms of number of arrivals and spending per day, TAT should find a way to make Indian tourists extend their stay from the current average 7 days to 9-10 days.