Medication

tnicholls67

Hi everyone, I have a question about medication, obviously, the title 😆  What's it like trying to get your UK prescribed medication in Thailand.

I'm moving to Thailand early 2023, Currently I have a few tablets that I have to take for, let’s just say "Health reasons".

How would I go about getting the same meds?.

Is it just a matter of taking a prescription to a Pharmacy or Doctors?

How much are they compared to the UK? 

I don't want to know what you're taking or why it's just a general question.

It was a long time ago and things may be more strict

But I took my empty prescription bottle to the hospital and showed the doctor and he refilled them

And that was for percocets or vicodin, I don't think that would happen nowadays

But if it is run of the mill say, blood pressure medication, they would be available at pharmacies w/o prescription

So w/o knowing the medication or what kind, it is hard to tell you............

But I would think if you need a prescription a doctor's note from home would suffice

Just my own experience, common antibiotics are available without a prescription. If you know what anti-biotic you require, they will dispense them after you explain what you are taking them for, and that is a recommended use for the drug.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Just my own experience, common antibiotics are available without a prescription. If you know what anti-biotic you require, they will dispense them after you explain what you are taking them for, and that is a recommended use for the drug.

One drug that surprised me was quinine sulphate (I use for toe cramps at night) which is unobtainable without prescription. With this being a common medication for malaria I would have expected it to be readily available in Asia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tnicholls67 said:

Hi everyone, I have a question about medication, obviously, the title 😆  What's it like trying to get your UK prescribed medication in Thailand.

I'm moving to Thailand early 2023, Currently I have a few tablets that I have to take for, let’s just say "Health reasons".

How would I go about getting the same meds?.

Is it just a matter of taking a prescription to a Pharmacy or Doctors?

How much are they compared to the UK? 

I don't want to know what you're taking or why it's just a general question.

What medication do you need?

BP/Statins/Antibiotics & a few of the other 'regulars' are readily available here, & inexpensive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SkipsPa said:

One drug that surprised me was quinine sulphate (I use for toe cramps at night) which is unobtainable without prescription. With this being a common medication for malaria I would have expected it to be readily available in Asia.

Does QS work. Is it any good for other leg cramps/chest muscle cramps etc. I am cursed with attacks of these.

52 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Does QS work. Is it any good for other leg cramps/chest muscle cramps etc. I am cursed with attacks of these.

It does work for cramps, but it's prescription only in the UK, & most likely Dublin too.

Have you tried eating a banana every day?

Also, electrolyte drinks help. Make your own it's much cheaper.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/nutrition/recipes/a774179/diy-sports-drink/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faraday said:

It does work for cramps, but it's prescription only in the UK, & most likely Dublin too.

If you cannot get it on Lazada, you'll not get it anywhere. That's my motto anyway.

Seems quite pricey though 1 gram is 2,050 baht whilst 5 gram is over 5,000 baht, not sure about its authenticity though.

Screenshot_2022-02-09-14-30-36-335_com.lazada.android.jpg

43 minutes ago, Faraday said:

I frequently eat bananas. I recall that apart from them being a fast-acting carb, marathon runners eat them also to avoid cramps.

Are these tablets, and how often do I need to take this?

3 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

It works for me. I take 200  MG before bedtime. Make sure you can tolerate it because it can be dangerous in some people. I get leg cramps in early AM if I don't keep my legs warm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDublin said:

I frequently eat bananas. I recall that apart from them being a fast-acting carb, marathon runners eat them also to avoid cramps.

If bananas help you most likely have a potassium deficiency. If you are taking diuretics for high BP, your potassium  could be low. Get it tested. A target of 4-5 me eq/dl.

Bananas are a good source of energy and potassium.

• Like 2

lots of medications are available at the pharmacy with no prescription (cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney, hormones, antibiotics) usually the controlled / narcotics are prescription only and things used recreationally, although I saw anti depressants available with no prescription. 

in terms of prescriptions, I went to the hospital (Bangkok hospital) took my prescription and got a refill with a doctor, cost 1000 or 2000 baht for the consultation, I can't remember

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

If bananas help you most likely have a potassium deficiency. If you are taking diuretics for high BP, your potassium  could be low. Get it tested. A target of 4-5 me eq/dl.

Bananas are a good source of energy and potassium.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't consume for medical reasons. They are my favourite fruit.

My wife recently had a medical emergency due to excess potassium. She's on a transplant waiting list, and this was found in a routine blood test. After discharge, she was given a lengthy booklet listing potassium content of hundreds of different foods and drinks. I was surprised at how prevalent it is in most foods, She is currently restricted to 2000 mg per day.

3 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

John, if you read the link I sent, you will see a recipe to make an electrolyte drink.

Have you seen your GP, or is it difficult because of Covid?

My sister who lives in the UK said it was near impossible.

Anyway, I would suggest you ask your GP to get your Electrolyte levels tested.

This link is also useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-help-with-muscle-cramps

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

John, if you read the link I sent, you will see a recipe to make an electrolyte drink.

Have you seen your GP, or is it difficult because of Covid?

My sister who lives in the UK said it was near impossible.

Anyway, I would suggest you ask your GP to get your Electrolyte levels tested.

This link is also useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-help-with-muscle-cramps

I've suffered cramp attacks for years. Getting an appointment with my GP is not really an issue, but I do my best to keep his surgery clear for those who need him more than I do. I have an appointment to see him in March for BP review so I'll leave it until then.

Thanks for the link.