Jump to content

Medication


tnicholls67
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I have a question about medication, obviously, the title 😆  What's it like trying to get your UK prescribed medication in Thailand.

 

I'm moving to Thailand early 2023, Currently I have a few tablets that I have to take for, let’s just say "Health reasons".

How would I go about getting the same meds?.

Is it just a matter of taking a prescription to a Pharmacy or Doctors?

How much are they compared to the UK? 

  I don't want to know what you're taking or why it's just a general question.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a long time ago and things may be more strict

 

But I took my empty prescription bottle to the hospital and showed the doctor and he refilled them

And that was for percocets or vicodin, I don't think that would happen nowadays

 

But if it is run of the mill say, blood pressure medication, they would be available at pharmacies w/o prescription

 

So w/o knowing the medication or what kind, it is hard to tell you............

 

But I would think if you need a prescription a doctor's note from home would suffice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my own experience, common antibiotics are available without a prescription. If you know what anti-biotic you require, they will dispense them after you explain what you are taking them for, and that is a recommended use for the drug.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Just my own experience, common antibiotics are available without a prescription. If you know what anti-biotic you require, they will dispense them after you explain what you are taking them for, and that is a recommended use for the drug.

One drug that surprised me was quinine sulphate (I use for toe cramps at night) which is unobtainable without prescription. With this being a common medication for malaria I would have expected it to be readily available in Asia.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tnicholls67 said:

Hi everyone, I have a question about medication, obviously, the title 😆  What's it like trying to get your UK prescribed medication in Thailand.

I'm moving to Thailand early 2023, Currently I have a few tablets that I have to take for, let’s just say "Health reasons".

How would I go about getting the same meds?.

Is it just a matter of taking a prescription to a Pharmacy or Doctors?

How much are they compared to the UK? 

  I don't want to know what you're taking or why it's just a general question.

What medication do you need?

BP/Statins/Antibiotics & a few of the other 'regulars' are readily available here, & inexpensive.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SkipsPa said:

One drug that surprised me was quinine sulphate (I use for toe cramps at night) which is unobtainable without prescription. With this being a common medication for malaria I would have expected it to be readily available in Asia.

Does QS work. Is it any good for other leg cramps/chest muscle cramps etc. I am cursed with attacks of these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Does QS work. Is it any good for other leg cramps/chest muscle cramps etc. I am cursed with attacks of these.

It does work for cramps, but it's prescription only in the UK, & most likely Dublin too.

Have you tried eating a banana every day?

Also, electrolyte drinks help. Make your own it's much cheaper.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/nutrition/recipes/a774179/diy-sports-drink/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Faraday said:

It does work for cramps, but it's prescription only in the UK, & most likely Dublin too.

Have you tried eating a banana every day?

Also, electrolyte drinks help. Make your own it's much cheaper.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/nutrition/recipes/a774179/diy-sports-drink/

If you cannot get it on Lazada, you'll not get it anywhere. That's my motto anyway.

Seems quite pricey though 1 gram is 2,050 baht whilst 5 gram is over 5,000 baht, not sure about its authenticity though.

 

Screenshot_2022-02-09-14-30-36-335_com.lazada.android.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Faraday said:

It does work for cramps, but it's prescription only in the UK, & most likely Dublin too.

Have you tried eating a banana every day?

Also, electrolyte drinks help. Make your own it's much cheaper.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/nutrition/recipes/a774179/diy-sports-drink/

I frequently eat bananas. I recall that apart from them being a fast-acting carb, marathon runners eat them also to avoid cramps.

Are these tablets, and how often do I need to take this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

Does QS work. Is it any good for other leg cramps/chest muscle cramps etc. I am cursed with attacks of these.

It works for me. I take 200  MG before bedtime. Make sure you can tolerate it because it can be dangerous in some people. I get leg cramps in early AM if I don't keep my legs warm.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohninDublin said:

I frequently eat bananas. I recall that apart from them being a fast-acting carb, marathon runners eat them also to avoid cramps.

Are these tablets, and how often do I need to take this?

If bananas help you most likely have a potassium deficiency. If you are taking diuretics for high BP, your potassium  could be low. Get it tested. A target of 4-5 me eq/dl.

Bananas are a good source of energy and potassium.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

It works for me. I take 200  MG before bedtime. Make sure you can tolerate it because it can be dangerous in some people. I get leg cramps in early AM if I don't keep my legs warm.

Easy way to get rid of thigh cramps without medication, 100% works..

Laying down, hold the cramped leg as straight as possible, bring the other leg up and hook the toes of the cramped  leg behind the heel of the other leg, then press the toes hard against the heel, and feel the pain drift away in seconds...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lots of medications are available at the pharmacy with no prescription (cardiovascular, respiratory, kidney, hormones, antibiotics) usually the controlled / narcotics are prescription only and things used recreationally, although I saw anti depressants available with no prescription. 

 

in terms of prescriptions, I went to the hospital (Bangkok hospital) took my prescription and got a refill with a doctor, cost 1000 or 2000 baht for the consultation, I can't remember

Edited by dj230
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

If bananas help you most likely have a potassium deficiency. If you are taking diuretics for high BP, your potassium  could be low. Get it tested. A target of 4-5 me eq/dl.

Bananas are a good source of energy and potassium.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't consume for medical reasons. They are my favourite fruit.

My wife recently had a medical emergency due to excess potassium. She's on a transplant waiting list, and this was found in a routine blood test. After discharge, she was given a lengthy booklet listing potassium content of hundreds of different foods and drinks. I was surprised at how prevalent it is in most foods, She is currently restricted to 2000 mg per day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

Are these tablets, and how often do I need to take this?

John, if you read the link I sent, you will see a recipe to make an electrolyte drink.

Have you seen your GP, or is it difficult because of Covid?

My sister who lives in the UK said it was near impossible.

Anyway, I would suggest you ask your GP to get your Electrolyte levels tested.

This link is also useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-help-with-muscle-cramps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

John, if you read the link I sent, you will see a recipe to make an electrolyte drink.

Have you seen your GP, or is it difficult because of Covid?

My sister who lives in the UK said it was near impossible.

Anyway, I would suggest you ask your GP to get your Electrolyte levels tested.

This link is also useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-help-with-muscle-cramps

I've suffered cramp attacks for years. Getting an appointment with my GP is not really an issue, but I do my best to keep his surgery clear for those who need him more than I do. I have an appointment to see him in March for BP review so I'll leave it until then.

Thanks for the link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 6

      Staying Thailand with TR. How long is too long ?

    2. 7

      News Forum - Olympic Games on the brink as 40 nations threaten to pull out

    3. 7

      Thaiger Talk Quiz #140 - Name that Movie 2

  • New Topics

  • Popular Now

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use