"Correct" way to wire a 3 prong outlet

HansCS

Does anyone know what the "correct" way to wire a 3 prong outlet is in Thailand regarding Hot and Neutral wire locations? As far as I can see, there is no convention.

52 minutes ago, HansCS said:

Does anyone know what the "correct" way to wire a 3 prong outlet is in Thailand regarding Hot and Neutral wire locations? As far as I can see, there is no convention.

You are partly correct in that Thailand has a number of socket and plug types which do not conform to any convention.  2-pin flat or round plugs can be used either way around and many 3 pin plugs get the Earth pin cut off so as to fit a 2 pin socket.

However there is a 3 pin convention, though seldom employed in household installations which is Live/active on the right (looking at the socket), often a smaller flat pin, and Neutral on the left, larger flat pin.  It's the opposite of Australian standards.

• Like 2

Thanks, which side the Hot/Neutral are on seems to vary from country to country I have noticed. Which leads me to believe it just does not matter with modern appliances, there are no "hot chassis" TV's out there anymore. And also there is nothing to keep you from reversing the 2 round pin plugs.

Being very well acquainted with the US electric code, building a house in Thailand has been quite an education...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HansCS said:

Being very well acquainted with the US electric code, building a house in Thailand has been quite an education...

Biggest problem here is Earthing. 

Circuit loads and breaker size another but you soon find that out 🙄  I had quite good installer, still doing his apprenticeship though, and I worked alongside him for most of the fit-off. 

I failed to check his terminations in the MCB for our kitchen ring mains, expecting there to be several breakers utilised.  Nope.  He'd gotten lazy and had Fridge/Micro/Oven/Rangehood/Dishwasher and all outlets on ONE 20A breaker.

• Like 2

Hello Hans 

Welcome to the forum! 👍

Thai 'electrics' do need to be scrutinised, because at times the wiring is somewhat 'free & easy'.😁

Plenty of help & advice available on here, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Do you plan on living here?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, KaptainRob said:

Fridge/Micro/Oven/Rangehood/Dishwasher and all outlets on ONE 20A breaker.

When are all those on at the same time? So 20A is adequate. No?

1 minute ago, WilliamG said:

When are all those on at the same time? So 20A is adequate. No?

Oven micro fridge frequently ON at same time and would only take electric jug or toaster to create surge

• Like 1

One can also test for Active/Live with a mains test probe/screwdriver like this >

image.png.962a022f3cf57eac23a69a03939f3fba.png

Mr DIY sells Cn cheapies, I have 2, or you can spend a whopping 110 baht elsewhere.  These only prove which pin or socket is LIVE by grounding through you via the end cap to light up the neon bulb.  They will not provide a voltage reading.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, KaptainRob said:

He'd gotten lazy and had Fridge/Micro/Oven/Rangehood/Dishwasher and all outlets on ONE 20A breaker.

Did you get billed for each on there own breaker?

10 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Did you get billed for each on there own breaker?

No.  The sparkie was wrong and when the boss looked at the load ratings he sent him back to make good.  It was sheer laziness as I had allowed for a 32 breaker MCB.  Kitchen was split across 3 breakers.