News Forum - UPDATE: Phuket police search for 2 gunmen over shooting death of Jimi “Slice” Sandhu

Thaiger

Police are still investigating the shooting of a former “gangster” who had been deported from Canada 6 years ago. 32 year old Indian Jimi “Slice” Sandhu, was gunned down while getting out of his red SUV around 10pm on Friday night in Rawai, Phuket. He was a former ‘person-of-interest’ for police in British Columbia, Canada, referred to as a “gangster” who was eventually deported from Canada 6 years ago for a range of crimes relating to local gang activities, and “serious criminality. It was reported that a maid found the man’s body lying next to his vehicle at 6.30am, some […]

The story UPDATE: Phuket police search for 2 gunmen over shooting death of Jimi “Slice” Sandhu as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Bangkok said:

Why did they blur the gunmen in the video?

To protect them from all the SAS, seal, delta force, ex-coppers, kung fu experts, and various black belts who'll tell you how to deal with them as soon as they've finished their beer and wheezed their way across the floor. 😃

• Haha 3

What Thailand authorities really needs to ask themselves is how they failed so miserably by letting an international criminal into the country in the first place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cabra said:

What Thailand authorities really needs to ask themselves is how they failed so miserably by letting an international criminal into the country in the first place.

Why?

He'd evidently had no problems getting into a number of other countries and there don't appear to have been any warrants out for his arrest.

Are you suggesting everyone who wants a Thai visa should have to supply a Criminal Record Check?

That'd be popular 😂!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Why?

He'd evidently had no problems getting into a number of other countries and there don't appear to have been any warrants out for his arrest.

Are you suggesting everyone who wants a Thai visa should have to supply a Criminal Record Check?

That'd be popular 😂!

Well you still need that for the UK Thai Embassy Retirement Visa.

And it was the biggest PITA admin job….Police Clearance Letter they called it.

Noticeably NOT required for any in- country  Imm. stamps.

Curiously I DID require an in- country Police Clearance from Police Forensics to get my Tabien Baan ( Foreigner House Registration Book) required for Pink ID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

On a false passport and a private jet via Malaysia too. Who knows?

Would imagine the easiest way to enter any country by Imm. stamp would be by seaport where there would perhaps be minimal document or computer checks.

25 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Well you still need that for the UK Thai Embassy Retirement Visa.

And it was the biggest PITA admin job….Police Clearance Letter they called it.

Noticeably NOT required for any in- country  Imm. stamps.

Well, that's what I'm asking - are those expressing shock / horror at someone with a criminal record getting a visa for Thailand suggesting everyone should have to supply a CRB check with every application?

(I'm not sure what you mean by a 'UK Thai Embassy Retirement Visa', but that's probably not very relevant).

25 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Curiously I DID require an in- country Police Clearance from Police Forensics to get my Tabien Baan ( Foreigner House Registration Book) required for Pink ID.

Again probably not too relevant, but that sounds like a 'local' requirement for a yellow book. @Faz will know, but it's not my field.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Poolie said:

To protect them from all the SAS, seal, delta force, ex-coppers, kung fu experts, and various black belts who'll tell you how to deal with them as soon as they've finished their beer and wheezed their way across the floor. 😃

Walter Mitty types ? Thailand ever the place to entirely reinvent yourself after reading the relevant novels on the plane over and acquiring the suitable tattoos, 1000 yard stare Rambo persona and military surplus clothing.
Instant “SBS Commando” ! 😂Realizing that few fellow barstoolers here are likely to challenge or give a monkeys either way ! 😫☺️

Recalls ex SF S/Major author encountering “ king fu experts & black belts” with huge beer bellies turning up for initial Reserve SF Training assessment and getting bounced out within minutes for failing to even complete the first test of a one mile run ! 😩😫

25 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, that's what I'm asking - are those expressing shock / horror at someone with a criminal record getting a visa for Thailand suggesting everyone should have to supply a CRB check with every application?

(I'm not sure what you mean by a 'UK Thai Embassy Retirement Visa', but that's probably not very relevant).

Again probably not too relevant, but that sounds like a 'local' requirement for a yellow book. @Faz will know, but it's not my field.

Correction: “ Non OA Longstay 1 Year ME Visa” in fact ( not “Retirement”) 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Would imagine the easiest way to enter any country by Imm. stamp would be by seaport where there would perhaps be minimal document or computer checks.

Why expend effort finding gunmen - a hit on professional criminal? I would expect them to be hard to find and not threatening anyone else.

18 minutes ago, SkipsPa said:

Why expend effort finding gunmen - a hit on professional criminal? I would expect them to be hard to find and not threatening anyone else.

They’ll hurt anyone who bothers them. Let’s say you’re driving your car, and maybe they cut you off, for some weird reason in that moment you’re angry, you blow up, flick them off, what do you reckon it’s gonna happen? 

I don’t feel pity for the gangster, but the gunmen must be apprehended.

10 hours ago, Stonker said:

Why?

That'd be popular 😂!

He was deported from Canada for criminal activity. And not minor offenses. So yes, there should be a better way to track real criminals. Why would you oppose that?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Very easily done in Phuket arriving by boat, not far from where this happened is Chalong were many sailing boats come and go then heaad out to the Anderman islands then sail down the east coast of India down to Sri Lanka, I see the dead man was originally from Chennai 

3 hours ago, Cabra said:

He was deported from Canada for criminal activity. And not minor offenses. So yes, there should be a better way to track real criminals. Why would you oppose that?

Because the only way is through the CRB system - there's no central international database, nor can there be as different countries' criminal records 'expire' (or whatever the term is) after different periods for different offences.

Why would I oppose it? Because it would mean hundreds of millions of completely innocent people having to get a CRB check every time they wanted to travel abroad, not only from their native country but from any and every country they'd been in for several years, while the 'real criminals' weren't tracked anyway as they'd just use someone else's ID - as happened here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Very easily done in Phuket arriving by boat, not far from where this happened is Chalong were many sailing boats come and go then heaad out to the Anderman islands then sail down the east coast of India down to Sri Lanka, I see the dead man was originally from Chennai 

It's a common route out for those wanting to skip bail - so I'm told 😯!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Because the only way is through the CRB system - there's no central international database, nor can there be as different countries' criminal records 'expire' (or whatever the term is) after different periods for different offences.

Why would I oppose it? Because it would mean hundreds of millions of completely innocent people having to get a CRB check every time they wanted to travel abroad, not only from their native country but from any and every country they'd been in for several years, while the 'real criminals' weren't tracked anyway as they'd just use someone else's ID - as happened here.

Clearly, felons are tricky for a myriad of reasons (as you suggested).

A bit of a tangent, but interestingly, with regards to citizens from the 63 countries that can enter the EU without a visa, the EU is taking it's own approach to felons with ETIAS (which resembles the US system)...once ETIAS is launched in 2022, entering countries in Europe with a criminal history will be more difficult. ETIAS will provide background checks for every person who wants to enter the Schengen Area, and without receiving an entry authorization, you cannot visit member countries. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Given the state of the world today, terrorism and knuckleheads like this Canadian-Indian gangster, efforts like ETIAS are worthwide and welcomed in my book. But Thailand can hardled rollout a decent mobile app for my phone, so using technology to vet criminals is probably a bridge too far 🤣

20 minutes ago, Cabra said:

But Thailand can hardled rollout a decent mobile app for my phone, so using technology to vet criminals is probably a bridge too far

ETIAS and the rest are reliant on the information put in, not on a country's ability to get information out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

ETIAS and the rest are reliant on the information put in, not on a country's ability to get information out.

Your comment is moot seeing as Thailand has no system with such data available to them for vetting gangsters like this Canadian bloke. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Your comment is moot seeing as Thailand has no system with such data available to them for vetting gangsters like this Canadian bloke. 

That's rather the point that I've been attempting to make - repeatedly!!!

It isn't an option - that's why I "oppose" what you're suggesting, as the only option available is the CRB requirement which as @oldschooler said is a major "PITA" 😂!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

That's rather the point that I've been attempting to make - repeatedly!!!

It isn't an option - that's why I "oppose" what you're suggesting, as the only option available is the CRB requirement which as @oldschooler said is a major "PITA" 😂!!!

In my original post, I wasn't suggesting anything other than it is indeed a pity Thailand can't (doesn't) do a better job vetting for criminals under certain circumstances. You appear to have lost the plot of my original post (never a mention of CRB). Regardless, vetting those requesting long stay visas, in leu of a holistic global technology solution, can be done via country specific criminal background checks (international employers do them all the time, and there are services available to assist you if you need to submit one -- say for long stay immigration purposes). It's not that hard of a problem to solution. Really. If you can bear the whining of those opposed. Frankly, one dead gangster is a good riddance. Problem is he was killed by 2 other gangsters (who authorities believe are also foreigners), and probably have criminal records in their home countries. But here they are in THA roaming freely. 

Edited by Cabra

59 minutes ago, Cabra said:

In my original post, I wasn't suggesting anything other than it is indeed a pity Thailand can't (doesn't) do a better job vetting for criminals under certain circumstances. You appear to have lost the plot of my original post (never a mention of CRB). Regardless, vetting those requesting long stay visas, in leu of a holistic global technology solution, can be done via country specific criminal background checks (international employers do them all the time, and there are services available to assist you if you need to submit one -- say for long stay immigration purposes). It's not that hard of a problem to solution. Really. If you can bear the whining of those opposed. Frankly, one dead gangster is a good riddance. Problem is he was killed by 2 other gangsters (who authorities believe are also foreigners), and probably have criminal records in their home countries. But here they are in THA roaming freely. 

So you're seriously saying that because of this, all those on retirement and marriage  extensions, any marriage visa, and any type of long stay visa should have to do a CRB check from every country they've been in for the previous ten years every time they get a visa 😂?

Seriously 😂 😂?

Wow 😂 😂 😂!!!

12 hours ago, Stonker said:

CRB check from every country they've been in for the previous ten years

Slow down and think... I'm talking about a single criminal background check from the country that issued the passport being presented by the person in question.