News Forum - Minister throws mask wearing into confusion I GMT

Thaiger

Thailand’s Public Health Minister confirmed that there are no laws forcing people to wear face masks. There have been warnings to travellers against going to Thailand. The Covid 19 effects on the Fitness and tourist industry and how prescribed and illegal drugs are readily open for purchase in Thailand.

The story Minister throws mask wearing into confusion I GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s Public Health Minister confirmed that there are no laws forcing people to wear face masks. There have been warnings to travellers against going to Thailand. The Covid 19 effects on the Fitness and tourist industry and how prescribed and illegal drugs are readily open for purchase in Thailand.

The story Minister throws mask wearing into confusion I GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What? I thought there is a mask mandate in place, with fines of up to 20K THB. Or is it already April 1st?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fundok said:

What? I thought there is a mask mandate in place, with fines of up to 20K THB. Or is it already April 1st?

I think it'd be worth getting a second opinion ...

in Europe there is nearly no country you have to wear a mask outside in open air, even at 200.000 infections per day or much more,
also Spain cancelled it for February 10th.
in crowded areas or insides shops or public transport it is okay

when will government realize that Omicron will get 50.000 daily infections or more in about 4 weeks from now in Thailand. without foreign arrivals, they may get more crazy than ever before,
if they really test locals much more, nobody will really believe in about 10.000 infections today

Edited by satpete

57 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I think it'd be worth getting a second opinion ...

Just checked the calendar - fool's day still to come. So it remains a conundrum (at least for me) why the minister of health has issued such a statement which contradicts the respective Act. But then, one would wonder if there wouldn't be anything to wonder about how Thailands government is battling Corona.

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

The PM was fined for not wearing a mask at a meeting. That would lead me to believe that there was a "law" or requirement that was actionable if not followed. 

So does the PM get his money back?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fundok said:

Just checked the calendar - fool's day still to come. So it remains a conundrum (at least for me) why the minister of health has issued such a statement which contradicts the respective Act. But then, one would wonder if there wouldn't be anything to wonder about how Thailands government is battling Corona.

He DIDN'T "issue such a statement".

He DIDN'T say 'that there are no laws forcing people to wear face masks'.

Even if you read what he's reported as saying here, there's nothing to suggest or hint that may be the case.

It's just an appallingly bad and very dangerous piece of reporting which could encourage any foreigners reading it to break the law and give the rest of us a bad name.

I'd say 'un-B-frigging-lievable', but sadly it's not.

Maybe my command of English is inept, but for me, if someone is saying something, this is a statement. And laws stipulate rules, so if the minister says there are no laws that force prople to wear masks then how is it possible to dish out fines for not wearing masks? I still don't get it.