News Forum - Greek travellers in Phuket claim 200,000 baht in cash was stolen from their car

Thaiger

A Greek family on a trip to Phuket claims around 200,000 baht in cash was stolen. Thai media reports that the family of five is asking for the money to be returned and are even promising to give the thief 500 euros if they return the cash. The family filed a report with the police and asked the hotel to check the surveillance camera footage, but there have been no new developments. They asked a longtime Thai friend to help spread the word.  The friend made a post on Facebook sharing the family’s story, adding that they are not wealthy […]

The story Greek travellers in Phuket claim 200,000 baht in cash was stolen from their car as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The story should be rounded out more as it was reported a few days ago. The guy wanted to leave it in the complex safe, but staff said he could not, but did warn him about leaving it in the room. He told them that he would lock in the car. Then magically, the car gets broken into...

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I feel sorry for this family but I cannot help wondering about the stupidity of "hiding" cash in an unlocked car. 200'000 THB is a lot of cash, so in the first place I ask myself why they didn't choose a hotel that has a room safe. Obviously they had the means to afford that.

Or it is a scam and they hope someone wealthy feels sorry and gives them some cash to cushion their "loss". Who knows?

Edited by Fundok
  • Like 2

Was it really Thai baht or was it in EU not changed over yet? Doesn't really matter as EU money is quite common, but if a normal Thai tries to exchange cash it then there could be a red flag.

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

so in the first place I ask myself why they didn't choose a hotel that has a room safe

Thinking about, it is more than a few years since I stayed in a hotel room that didn't have an in room safe. Definitely something a bit off in this story.

• Like 2

I wonder how they'll go trying to get it back on travel insurance?? Very sad for them.... I suspect someone from the hotel may know something. It seems a little too easy that this happened....

Helps to explain why Greece is in the state it is, a cash economy where few pay taxes. They can look at it as a learning experience, keep money in bank & be good honest tax paying citizens in future

• Like 1

Travel insurance typically requires that the money has been in a locked place. An unlocked car does not fulfill this requirement. In addition, cash theft is only covered to a certain amount, depending on the respective insurance (typically around a maximum of 1'000 to 2'000 € if at all). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Then magically, the car gets broken into...

Actually, magically he left the car unlocked ... maybe they saw the sign 'the loot's in the boot' ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nivram said:

Why take do much cash with you and live with the anxiety of it being stolen.

Criminal mentality perhaps to carry large cash amounts without specific purchase in mind  ? Who else does that ?

4 hours ago, Fundok said:

Travel insurance typically requires that the money has been in a locked place. An unlocked car does not fulfill this requirement. In addition, cash theft is only covered to a certain amount, depending on the respective insurance (typically around a maximum of 1'000 to 2'000 € if at all). 

and maybe that’s all this is then….. cash insurance scam supported by press article and mandatory police report……suppose people doing this all the time with portable devices …..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, danpeter said:

good honest tax paying citizens in future

Taxation is theft. Specially the way it works in Europe. 

13 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Criminal mentality perhaps to carry large cash amounts without specific purchase in mind  ? Who else does that ?

He sure had a specific purchase in mind, he was on holiday for christ's sake! You need money while on holiday and you also tend to not have an account at a local bank where you can deposit the cash! 

After the 2007 crisis in Europe, lots of companies went bankrupt, and the owners of said companies as well meaning they are now in debt, so all they can do is use cash. 

1 hour ago, ctxa said:

Taxation is theft. Specially the way it works in Europe. 

He sure had a specific purchase in mind, he was on holiday for christ's sake! You need money while on holiday and you also tend to not have an account at a local bank where you can deposit the cash! 

After the 2007 crisis in Europe, lots of companies went bankrupt, and the owners of said companies as well meaning they are now in debt, so all they can do is use cash. 

Forgot Greece an economic basket case. Borrowing as if you are Germany will tend to do that when repayment time comes around. Hold your money at Western Union. 

4 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Forgot Greece an economic basket case. Borrowing as if you are Germany will tend to do that when repayment time comes around. Hold your money at Western Union. 

That is a country's economy, which doesn't often have much to do with what every person do.

I personally only keep some emergency funds in cash (USD) around me.  

But I have friends from several different countries, none of which is from Greece, but one of which is from Germany who keeps all his savings in cash! And only has a bank account so that the company can pay him his salary and then on the same day he proceeds to withdraw it!

8 hours ago, Nivram said:

Who takes so much cash with them on a vacation

- Use traveler's checks or,

- Cash Advances from a credit card.

7 hours ago, Nivram said:

Why take do much cash with you and live with the anxiety of it being stolen.

You're paying out the *ss using a card in Thailand, when I was there last in early 2020 I think i would get 10% less value out my money compared to bringing euros and exchanging them locally. This would go for both credit and bank(debit) card.

I assume it's the same or worse for Greeks, and add to that they probably have an added distrust to their banking system. I would only use card for advance hotel bookings, but unless it was prepaid you were still better off paying cash on check-in.

Depending on the size of the family and lenght of the trip 200k isn't that much either. I travel pretty cheap and would take about half of that for a 3-4 week trip.

Traveler's cheques are not really a thing around here.

Of course I would not leave it in an unlocked car. 😎 Either in a safe or somewhere no one will look, like dirty laundry.

Edited by FTF020
  • Like 1